Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chao’s Choo-Choo Stop

Good move on Ms. Chao's part, just saved the taxpayers $647 million:

Last month Ms. Chao said she is delaying indefinitely a $647 million federal grant for the Caltrain commuter service that former Federal Transit Administration chief Carolyn Flowers approved two days before President Obama left office. Ms. Flowers now works at an engineering company that is a contractor for the Caltrain project. Last week Governor Jerry Brown sent a letter to Ms. Chao begging her to release the funds pronto. “Can we discuss this on the phone?” he asked in a handwritten note.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chaos-c...top-1488755853
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Very good move. I note that the governor would appear to prefer no written records of his request.

Is this related to the infamous Obama High Speed Train To Nowhere?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Excellent!

There's a half-billion for the wall!
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
        Good move on Ms. Chao's part, just saved the taxpayers $647 million:

Last month Ms. Chao said she is delaying indefinitely a $647 million federal grant for the Caltrain commuter service that former Federal Transit Administration chief Carolyn Flowers approved two days before President Obama left office. Ms. Flowers now works at an engineering company that is a contractor for the Caltrain project. Last week Governor Jerry Brown sent a letter to Ms. Chao begging her to release the funds pronto. “Can we discuss this on the phone?” he asked in a handwritten note.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chaos-c...top-1488755853

Funny how that order to approve funding, just days before she left office, happened to benefit the very company she was going to work for.
        No corruption there.
        I wonder if they are rethinking her employment now.

I'm happy to see this defunded. If California wants to waste its money on a train few people will use, that is fine, but they shouldn't get our money too.
        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

The choo choo train to nowhere just got derailed!

Comment

Thank heavens...that thing was a money pit.

If we really want high speed rail, we will have to change the very way America is laid out and lived in. The places where it works best are small, densely populated nations with crowded cities that are technologically advanced and can afford it, like Japan.

The only rally successful railroad passenger service in America is concentrated on the Eastern corridor between Boston and D.C., and it has to be heavily taxpayer subsidized, mostly because we refuse to utilize existing technology to cut down costs.

We solved all of these problems in the early days of America, and then tore it all out and threw it all away, and we can no longer afford to replace it following the old paradigms that were based on cheap labor and lack of alternatives. Ironically, most of our major cities possessed excellent trolley and rail systems which disappeared after WWII.

When I went to high school in El Cerrito, California, I could go to a medical appointment all the way over in San Francisco at the Presidio round trip for a couple of bucks using public transportation, which included a local commuter train that crossed the bay to connect with the San Fran bus system using a simple transfer ticket. Can't do that anymore.

Comment

Coupe months back I first flew from Malaga to Madrid and then took the train back. Flying was faster and cheaper, but I enjoyed the train more. Unfortunately the price is the determiner, which is something the railroad companies should do something about.
              Wisdom is personal

Comment

I don't know a single person in California who wants this high speed rail built, yet it passed when it went on the ballot in 2008.

In 2010, the Obama admin announced that California will receive $2.35 billion from the ARRA (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009). Of that amount, $2.25 billion was spent on high speed rail studies. Over the course of 2010 and 2011, the feds awarded additional $4 billion towards this stupid high-speed rail project.

All this money spent and nothing has been built yet!

From the very beginning, the California High-Speed Rail Authority’s business plans have been based more on hope and fantasy than on sound finance or economics. Proponents seem to have adopted the “in for a penny, in for a pound” strategy: Just grab as much money as you can, as quickly as you can, and start building. Once the track has been laid, there is less likelihood the public will mount strong enough opposition to stop the project, which might be seen as wasteful and cost even more money to tear up the track.

But there is a saying in economics: “Sunk costs are sunk.” That money is gone, and sometimes it is best to just cut your losses, rather than continuing to rack them up. Or, as actor and humorist Will Rogers once said, “If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.” The same holds true if you’re laying tracks for California’s high-speed rail project.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/g...tly-speed.html
                "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

anybody know how to fix this??

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XBcVB7CTPC...ny+Railway.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                    Looks like a sine wave... Does that occur with some particular frequency...?

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      Looks like a sine wave... Does that occur with some particular frequency...?
                      It has to do with "global warming".................Sun kink.
                      oops forgot...........toward the end of my career. you could no longer call it a sun kink. You had to say "track misalignment due to temperature extremes"

We were even getting Friggin "PC" on the nomenclature of Track defects........

Comment

You missed the pun entirely...

Comment

Yes I did.........truthfully had to look it up............

at first glance I thought perhaps you misspelled "sun"

Comment

But I didn't...

Comment

High Speed Rail is a darling child of the left. The 'High Speed' part is in name only as the design requirements for speed are usually thrown out the window ie to many stations.

If Elon's Hyperloop can be made viable then I think that would be a good fit for the LA - SF route. Although I can see a Hyperloop project being made completely unviable after California's regulation and bureaucracy storm hits it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X