NOAA next on the "hit" parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOAA next on the "hit" parade

The Trump administration is looking at an 18%+ cut in funding and programs at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...cid=spartandhp

There is lots of whining in academia over this...

Good!
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Kinda whimpy start. Why not just close the whole thing down? Like every other waste of public funding - aka all of them - it could all be done better - and cheaper - by the private sector.

I guess Trump is still too much of a statist to actually use an axe. I guess his supporters just wanted nail clippers.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
        Kinda whimpy start. Why not just close the whole thing down? Like every other waste of public funding - aka all of them - it could all be done better - and cheaper - by the private sector.

I guess Trump is still too much of a statist to actually use an axe. I guess his supporters just wanted nail clippers.
        The Federal employee union is extremely strong. Cutting an entire agency would lead to serious issues.

But an 18% cut would mean that those cut could be absorbed of by attrition or transfers to other agencies.

Strategically, it is the best move. Further cuts can be made later.

The Federal bureaucracy is a force to be reckoned with. Even Reagan has serious difficulties with them.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

18% here and 18% there and he could cut the entire budget of a whole agency without needing Congressional approval or getting into anything more than a cursory bit of whining from the Union. This early in his presidency there's enough fat that he can trim and trim like this. 2 years from now he'd definitely need to start hacking into actual core budget items and doing wholesale layoffs.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

First comes the demonstration of savings, followed by the elimination of entire agencies and subsequent privatization; however, private agencies do not work at government pay rates, so you can have better services or less money, but not both.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
              The Federal employee union is extremely strong. Cutting an entire agency would lead to serious issues.

But an 18% cut would mean that those cut could be absorbed of by attrition or transfers to other agencies.

Strategically, it is the best move. Further cuts can be made later.

The Federal bureaucracy is a force to be reckoned with. Even Reagan has serious difficulties with them.
              Good point.

Comment

Most federal agencies do actually have useful functions of some sort. The problem is that they've added and added to those functions useless ones and general bloat over the years. For example, the NOAA manages the National Weather Service. I for one don't mind having an agency that will try and guess what the weather will be tomorrow. They've even gotten good enough to actually be close to right most of the time now...

Comment

Some of NOAA's functions are necessary... like the National Weather Service.
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                    Some of NOAA's functions are necessary... like the National Weather Service.
                    Privatization is the answer.

I actually had to do some work with the NOAA last summer, as some of their data was important to the industry, but I find it hard to understand how anything they do couldn't be done for cheaper by a private organization answering to government guidelines. Would also make dealing with them easier because they would be responsible for handling their own unions and employees.

Comment

Privatization is the answer.

I actually had to do some work with the NOAA last summer, as some of their data was important to the industry, but I find it hard to understand how anything they do couldn't be done for cheaper by a private organization answering to government guidelines. Would also make dealing with them easier because they would be responsible for handling their own unions and employees.
                      It can be done better, but it can't be done more cheaply because civilians do not work for government drone wages.

The equally difficult problem is that civilian agencies do not have to answer to the government in the same way that official agencies do.

The privatization of the American military, which is a prime example of how not to do it, has come at a horrendous cost, although the private space program has actually shown some promise, at least until the government becomes involved and the contract rates skyrocket. Think "government-industrial complex".

Also remember at all times that a camel is a horse designed to government specifications. The government has the infinite ability and desire to over-complicate everything, especially when it involves civilian contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        It can be done better, but it can't be done more cheaply because civilians do not work for government drone wages.

The equally difficult problem is that civilian agencies do not have to answer to the government in the same way that official agencies do.

The privatization of the American military, which is a prime example of how not to do it, has come at a horrendous cost, although the private space program has actually shown some promise, at least until the government becomes involved and the contract rates skyrocket. Think "government-industrial complex".

Also remember at all times that a camel is a horse designed to government specifications. The government has the infinite ability and desire to over-complicate everything, especially when it involves civilian contractors.
                        I'm not so sure it can always be done better. Privatized education and prisons haven't faired so well. I can't speak to prisons, but charter schools are notorious for pushing marginalized populations (SPED, ESL, etc.) out the back door so they can post higher scores on high stakes testing. It only works as long as public schools are there to pick up the slack and try to prepare everyone for the workforce, or in some cases, the highest degree of independence possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                          I'm not so sure it can always be done better. Privatized education and prisons haven't faired so well. I can't speak to prisons, but charter schools are notorious for pushing marginalized populations (SPED, ESL, etc.) out the back door so they can post higher scores on high stakes testing. It only works as long as public schools are there to pick up the slack and try to prepare everyone for the workforce, or in some cases, the highest degree of independence possible.
                          Privatized education has generally performed or out performed public education both on cost and outcomes. Private prisons outperform government ones at the low end of incarceration but cannot compete with government institutions at the higher security levels.

I have no problem with schools "pushing marginalized populations" out the door. That public schools try for "fair and equal" with severely handicapped, and other children with serious medical, mental, or psychological issues is insanity. It simply drags down the rest of the students.
                          That a school is forced to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a "student" that is severely handicapped to the point they're nearly comatose or brain dead is a complete waste of resources and money.
                          Sure, the parents want their precious child given what amounts to free daycare with expensive medical staff and other providers at government expense. They love that. Never mind that programs and activities for the other 99% of students are cut to pay for that.
                          Life isn't fair. Schools should be competitive. The best should be allowed to rise to the top for the betterment of society. Those that can't manage that, get what society can afford them.
                          Education isn't a "Right." It never was and never can be. You have no "Right" to a high school education let alone a college one. You have to prove you're able to do the work at those levels to get a diploma.
                          If instead, we insist that everyone has the "Right" to a high school diploma we might as well print them on yellow toilet paper and place them in public bathrooms so anyone can get a high school diploma whenever they wish. That's what our current education system is headed towards.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                            If instead, we insist that everyone has the "Right" to a high school diploma we might as well print them on yellow toilet paper and place them in public bathrooms so anyone can get a high school diploma whenever they wish. That's what our current education system is headed towards.
                            Public schooling has been mandatory for centuries in the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              That a school is forced to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a "student" that is severely handicapped to the point they're nearly comatose or brain dead is a complete waste of resources and money.
                              Sure, the parents want their precious child given what amounts to free daycare with expensive medical staff and other providers at government expense. They love that. Never mind that programs and activities for the other 99% of students are cut to pay for that.
                              My younger daughter is in the severe range of handicapped. I tried a number of times to get her some of these "extras" the School Systems whine about and failed miserably every time! BabyGirl was in the second largest High School in the system (1900 students) and they did not have enough teachers there to give her more than two electives she could choose from. One was putting forks in wax wrappers at a local restaurant. She would have been bored to death after 15 minutes. The regular students had 73 different courses they could choose between!

I tried to get a Music Appreciation Class started for her. No Dice! There was no trained Special Ed Music Teachers and besides none of the Music Teachers had a free class period. This is the same system that told me at age 6 she would never talk, read or write. They lied. In our last IEP session I had a Special Ed Doctor sit there and tell me BabyGirl was not capable to learning to read. I smiled and pulled out two cans of Tuna. I told BabyGirl to come over and pick the can with the word "WATER" on it. She found it. I then asked her to spell "WATER". She read out "W A F E R!". I then told them that I had proved she could learn to read and they never said a word!

You can't tell me any system is spending money they don't have to. Schools are not there to educate, they are there to build school buildings, hire employees (Lots go to relatives) and pass bond issues. The only people that can make them spend money is the Federal Government.

Pruitt
                              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X