Catholic Church Caves In To Pedophile Priests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
    Not entirely. Luther had a number of issues with the way the RCC was running things and the sale of indulgences was his biggest beef but he actually didn't want to "break away" from the church. It wasn't until he was declared heretical that he went from a reformer to leader of a breakoff sect. In that regard Protestantism didn't so much break off from Catholicism as get cut off.

The flaw in your thinking lay in your generalizations. The RCC has done some heinous stuff and make no mistake the Vatican is ducking responsibility for the pedophilia scandal but to declare that the RCC is now and forever evil based on things they did 500 years ago is like calling a 21st century German a Nazi.

You're a bit prone to melodramatic thinking and overreaction and it clouds your judgement. The Vatican has engaged in corruption in the past and is definitely engaging in corruption now but that does not make the entire entity evil anymore than the Nazis make all Germans evil.

The Vatican definitely needs a shaking down. Personally I'd go with church model prescribed by Paul: church elders must be married and their aptitude for managing the church family shall be measured by the health of their own family. But overall Catholicism has not been a force of evil. No one religion, philosophical, or ethnic group is. Humanity is just too stubbornly diverse for that.
    so you agree they were evil and wrong at one time?

500 years ago? the abuse and cover up by the hierarchy is ongoing

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
      I would have been against the Ottoman invasion of the Byzantine Empire...of course modern day Turks would side with the Ottomans as they should. I see greatness and tolerance from both the Ottomans and Byzantines. I did not suggest nor would I suggest that European folks welcomed the Ottoman Empire...certainly though there are similarities between the Roman Empire and Ottoman Empire...both Empires were multicultural and so long as you payed homage you had a chance to make it.

I dont expect you to change your views and I'm not deliberately missing anything. My viewpoints for example of the middle ages are based on the writings of the men who lived the time.

Science was appreciated by Catholics far before the 17th century...see Pope Sylvester II otherwise known as of all things I kid you not...the Scientific Pope.

Their are Atheists whom have made similar comments as the Africa/Condom one you brought up. This does not mean that Atheism is to blame.

I say ISIL is Islamic not because I view ISIL as following in the footsteps of Muhammad but because ISIL members say they are Muslims. Those who deny that ISIL is Islamic do so out of emotion not reality...there are other comparisons to be made wrt intolerant Christians.

The angel is in the detail though Flash....as it was in the past. The fact is that numerous alliances occurred between Muslim and Christian countries during the middle ages. Yes there were great wars fought between Muslim and Christian...I showed evidence in another thread though that Muslim and Christian had friendly relations during the middle ages. The Kingdom Of Jerusalem included Muslims and Jews who even retained their religious courts. Saint Francis of Assisi also during the Crusades meant with a Muslim Sultan and this was a positive meeting. There are plenty of other examples of friendship and respect between Muslim and Christian same with Jew and Christian. But you see some of all 3 of the members of the Abrahamic religions of today will try and label themselves as the victim. Some Atheists will also be critical against the Catholic Church suggesting one of the worst attacks out there...oh your going after kids. When one thinks about it, its nothing more then a low blow designed to get good people to feel bad and its got to stop in this day and age. The fact is all people should be proud of themselves, no more of the pc gone overboard.
      All empires are for want of a better phrase 'multicultural', this is because the act of creating an empire means to assimilate other cultures, one can't have an empire if one sticks to one's own culture.
      There are many reasons why an emperor or king will set out to build an empire, chief among them being the desire for riches.
      He will spy out a culture that has no intention of joining his kingdom and that is rich and he will invade it.
      A stupid emperor will then destroy that culture even though it produces wealth, hence all or almost all empires are multicultural.
      Romans ,Byzantine, islamic, all were sensible empires in that keeping the money making occupied territories as happy as conducive to creating that wealth was considered quite important.
      If going to church helped catholics generate wealth for muslims then going to church is made legal.

'Their are Atheists whom have made similar comments as the Africa/Condom one you brought up. This does not mean that Atheism is to blame.'

I don't understand the above sentence.

I am no defender of religion but there is no christian organisation that remotely resembles ISIS and if there were they would be summarily dismissed and disbanded by other christians.
      There are of course christian fundamentalists out there but these are kept in check by other more moderate christians.

Those who deny that ISIS is Islamic are those in power over us, at least until President Trump came along.
      Leaders throughout the western world have for years strove to distance Islamic terrorism from islam.

'Some Atheists will also be critical against the Catholic Church suggesting one of the worst attacks out there...oh your going after kids. When one thinks about it, its nothing more then a low blow designed to get good people to feel bad and its got to stop in this day and age. The fact is all people should be proud of themselves, no more of the pc gone overboard.'

I find this passage of yours deeply disturbing, I have never been tainted by the pc brush and condemning the RCC for inhumane crimes throughout it's long and sordid history is very far from claiming refuge in pc liberalism.

Far from being a 'a low blow designed to get good people to feel bad' it is an accurate accusation of crimes committed for centuries against defenceless children by an organisation that bills itself to be good but is in fact extremely bad and harmful.

If your precious pope was to announce that he was going to hand over all of the criminal clergy he is at present protecting to the LEA's that want to prosecute them and then if he was to apologise for his churches disgraceful behaviour both past and present and vow to help us fight paedophilia everywhere then I would instantly but begrudgingly start to respect your cartel, until then you continue to decline in your fortunes and your congregations and one day you will disappear as all previous religions did.

It might also help your cause if you opened the vault doors of the Vaticans dragon hoard to the worlds poorest nations, didn't your own Jesus Christ have something to say about rich men?

This next video is not solely anti christian but it does show the reasoning behind my condemnation of all religion:

https://youtu.be/L3L1hdWz6do
      Last edited by flash; 11 Mar 17, 04:34.

Comment

Hey Flash. I sympathize with getting the Vatican under control but the biggest challenge facing the "rank and file" is the RCC's oligarchic power structure. Because the Pope is elected from the College of Cardinals and cardinals likewise chosen from within the power structure that makes it extremely difficult for the everyday Catholic to force reform. Even lower clergy just don't have the leverage the put the house in order. It needs to happen, I'm just saying what makes it difficult. The way the power works reform won't happen unless the bigwigs reform themselves and as much as parishoners want them to fly on the straight and narrow, they don't have the democratic means to force them to. And simply walking away is a very hard thing to do.
        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

I heard yesterday that the pope said it was okay to have married priests in rural areas. It's a step forward...
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            I heard yesterday that the pope said it was okay to have married priests in rural areas. It's a step forward...
            Perhaps, but it has nothing to do with the thread here.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

The Eastern Rite (Byzantine) Catholic Church has always had married priests. The priest at my Mother's parish is married.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Perhaps, but it has nothing to do with the thread here.
              It has a lot to do with this thread. Allowing married priests opens up a much larger segment of the population to joining the priesthood. You can have well balanced heterosexuals, not just men who hate women and like little boys.
              Here's my theory on why there are so many pedophile priests. A young boy grows up in a deeply religious family. He finds that he has evil thoughts about young boys. Since he was raised to be deeply religious, he thinks that if he becomes a priest, God will banish these thoughts from his mind. He tells his family that he's joining the priesthood and they rejoice. He joins, and while in the seminary, after some altar wine, he and his seminarians confess their sins to each other and find out that they have the same thoughts. They vow to protect each other as they become priests and move up the pecking order to monsignor, bishop, cardinal, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                The Eastern Rite (Byzantine) Catholic Church has always had married priests. The priest at my Mother's parish is married.

It has a lot to do with this thread. Allowing married priests opens up a much larger segment of the population to joining the priesthood. You can have well balanced heterosexuals, not just men who hate women and like little boys.
                Here's my theory on why there are so many pedophile priests. A young boy grows up in a deeply religious family. He finds that he has evil thoughts about young boys. Since he was raised to be deeply religious, he thinks that if he becomes a priest, God will banish these thoughts from his mind. He tells his family that he's joining the priesthood and they rejoice. He joins, and while in the seminary, after some altar wine, he and his seminarians confess their sins to each other and find out that they have the same thoughts. They vow to protect each other as they become priests and move up the pecking order to monsignor, bishop, cardinal, etc.
                Hey we agree on something.

I've got similar thoughts on the subject, that the church prevents normal hetro relationships in their priesthood encourages the recruitment of seriously sick people...
                Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Hey we agree on something.

I've got similar thoughts on the subject, that the church prevents normal hetro relationships in their priesthood encourages the recruitment of seriously sick people...
                  The RCC is the only organisation I know of that insists absolutely on sexual abstinence then puts out these people into the public.
                  No matter what they might think, priests are simply an evolved ape just like us and still have sexual urges, they are only one chromosome from ape so their sexual urges need to be met, just like ours do.

A 23 yo priest is simply gagging for it, he's never known it and his natural instinct tells him to go for it, a fine healthy need if you're not a priest.

However, if he wishes to keep his job he cannot 'go for it' and so he masturbates and asks forgiveness from his god, he starts to come up with solutions to his very real and human need.

A woman is out of the question, she could kiss and tell, marriage is forbidden and so he is led to unnatural practices, he starts getting on rather well with the choir, and one day he finds himself alone with a fuzzy cheeked and cherubic little boy, surely god must have planned this?

He can't help himself, decades of hitherto hidden sexual desires come to the fore and then we have yet one more abused little boy to add to the disgusting list of the RCC's victims.

What gets me though is the fact that these perverts get to lecture us normal humans on morality, this from declared virgins!

Comment

Apart from present circumstance I must live a charmed life.Born in manchester UK of Iro anglish background.Walked around the local area,with me mates, at the same time as the monsters Brady/Hindley were on the prowl.Ten years an altar boy. Never had any negative interactions with clergy my sene .But as an ex roman catholic dont have a lot of time for them.The best of the bunch that I had aught to do with are Nun,s.Bias in that case though as my favorite aunt was one sadly now gone on before us.Dont believe in the death penalty but wouldnt argue against the most severe sentencing of those found guilty of committing aforesaid atrocities and or trying to cover up such.As for the clergy I have a cunning plan.
                    Wack tac mac hey.
                    Regards.
                    Grishnak.

Comment

• Question, does the UK tax churches? I wish we did so. Render unto Caesar and all that. I'm of the opinion that if we make the various churches pay like the rest of us it'd start driving the dross out.

I'm totally down with taxing both their property and income. Why should they get off where others go to jail for tax evasion?
                      Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

• Tax exempt as far as I know.Think there is a parliamentary commision of some sort that decides which organization is granted status as a religious one.Outside my limited area of expertise though,web search will probably clear it up for you.Over here donations to rel groups are tax exempt and after filling in the requisite form they can claim back the tax already payed by the donor.
                        Wack tac mac hey.
                        Regards.
                        Grishnak.

Comment

• Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                          Yніат в па україньy.

There are many Catholic Churches of the Eastern Rite: Greek, Ukrainian, Syriac, etc. They recognize the Bishop of Rome as their spiritual leader, but their rites are of the Eastern type. Their liturgical languages are derivations of local languages (Middle Greek, Aramaic, Church Slavonic, et al) not Latin. They eschew statuary in favor of ikonography. Their "white clergy," ie parish priests, marry, but their bishops are "black clergy," ie monastics. They've operated for centuries, under the ecclesiastical aegis of the Pope. By and large they were the result of political compromises that arose from unfavorable political conflicts.

Something that the late Pope John Paul II said that offended me: he claimed that there was no such thing as a married Catholic priest. As some one who grew up in Cracow between the World Wars, he would have seen Uniates day in and day out. There were likely tens of thousands of Ukrainian Catholics in Poland in that era, and for a Pole to deny their existence is an insult to reality. Why he denied them I'm sure I don't know, but deny them he did.

Regarding the ordination of married men as priests: if one is married at the time of ordination, then one will be a priest, and the wife is ordained alongside her husband, in recognition of the demands that the calling places on a priest's family.

Allowing married priests opens up a much larger segment of the population to joining the priesthood. You can have well balanced heterosexuals, not just men who hate women and like little boys.
                          The priesthood can be a . . . . schizophrenic life. All week a priest visits with parishioners, blessing their homes and hospital beds, hearing troubles and offering advice, as well as conducting services, but at the end the end of the day, the Roman Catholic priest (or Eastern Orthodox monastic) goes home to an empty house. This person who spends his entire day with people, interacting with them, sharing in their joys and miseries, is presumably a "people person," but he has no mate with whom to share the joys and miseries of his day, no children of his own on whom he can dote. For the monastic it strikes me as a weird and unsettling existence, and I'm sure that over time it can wear badly.

Perhaps. I've heard that the Roman Catholic seminary in Yonkers NY was a virtual gay club, such that straight men studying for the cloth were turned off and dropped out. Would allowing married men to be ordained as Roman Catholic priests help? I believe so -- but marriage and family are themselves no panacea against perversion, not by a long shot.
                          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X