Trump and the Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump and the Press

Since this is an issue I love examining, I thought I'd create a thread dedicated to Trump and the antagonistic relationship he has with the news media. And considering today's news conference, it seemed a good as time as any. Here is a selection of articles about the conference - look below for the full video as well.

'I'm not ranting and raving.' Trump on defensive in first solo news conference

The first gripe came three minutes into President Donald Trump's first solo news conference on Thursday, when he accused reporters of ignoring a poll showing him with a 55 percent approval rating - a figure at odds with most other surveys.

From there, the president's criticism of the media went from barbed to personal in a cutting assessment of what he viewed as unfair coverage of his first few weeks in office - a period that has seen a succession of crises.

On a day when he ceded a loss over a signature policy in a federal appeals court, had to replace his labor secretary pick and faced questions over the resignation of his national security adviser, Trump chose to make the media a central focus of an unusually long and combative presidential news conference.

When asked by journalists of contacts between his presidential campaign and Russian operatives, he deflected the questions and put the focus instead on what he described as "illegal" government leaks and "dishonest" media coverage.

"The press is out of control," he said. "The level of dishonesty is out of control."
    Reuters - Full Article
    Last edited by Daemon of Decay; 16 Feb 17, 20:15.

Considering today's instant access to information, it may be hard to make certain statements in front of an audience as a politician. This article (also by Reuters) documents a journalist fact-checking Trump in the middle of the conference and asking the brazen question "Why should Americans trust you?"

'Why should Americans trust you?' Trump asked

In a heated moment during his unconventional and combative news conference on Thursday, President Donald Trump’s command of the facts was openly challenged by a reporter who asked, “Why should Americans trust you?”

The issue was the margin of victory in the U.S. Electoral College, which Trump asserted early in the news conference was the “biggest” since fellow Republican Ronald Reagan, who was elected in 1980 and 1984.

Trump defeated Hillary Clinton by a 304-227 tally of state-by-state electors, who represent votes cast in the election. Seven electors voted for someone else.

“We got 306 because people came out and voted like they’ve never seen before so that’s the way it goes,” the president said.

A quick check by a reporter at the news conference showed President Barack Obama, a Democrat, amassed more electoral votes in 2008 (365) and 2012 (332). In 1988, President George H.W. Bush, a Republican, drew 426 electoral votes.

Few observers, however, were expecting a White House reporter to confront Trump about it in real time, while sitting in the East Room. Within minutes the reporter, Peter Alexander of NBC News, stood and corrected Trump, noting Obama's and Bush’s tallies and asking whether Americans could trust the president to state the facts.

"Why should Americans trust you when you accuse the information they've received of being fake when you're providing information that's not accurate?" the TV correspondent asked.
    Reuters - Full Article

Comment

Trump, in unprecedented fashion for a president, rips press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The leaks are real. But the news about them is fake. The White House is a fine-tuned machine. Russia is a ruse.

For its stunning moments and memorable one-liners, Donald Trump's first solo news conference as president has no rivals in recent memory. For all the trappings of the White House and traditions of the forum, his performance was one of a swaggering, blustery campaigner, armed with grievances and primed to unload on his favorite targets.

In nearly an hour and a half at the podium, Trump bullied reporters, dismissed facts and then cracked a few caustic jokes — a combination that once made the candidate irresistible cable TV fodder. Now in office, he went even further, blaming the media for all but sinking his not-yet-launched attempt to "make a deal" with Moscow.

That matters, Trump said, in one of his many improvisational aside, because he'd been briefed and "I can tell you ... nuclear holocaust would be like no other."

This was his and his aides' attempt to get the boss his groove back. Trump used the event to try to claw his young administration back from the brink after a defeat in court and the forced resignation of his top national security adviser.

He taunted reporters and waved away their attempts to fact check him in real time. He (incorrectly) touted his Electoral College total and repeatedly blasted his November opponent — somehow mentioning Hillary Clinton more than anyone else in his defense of his administration's early days. He bragged that his White House is "a fine-tuned machine" and claimed that "there has never been a presidency that has done so much in such a short period of time."

If only the news media would give him credit. Over and over, he accused the political press of being dishonest and suggested that any negative coverage of his administration was "fake news." He unloaded a torrent of grievances while positioning himself as the stand-in for the everyman, who, he declared, hates and distrusts reporters as much as he does.
      AP - Full Article

Comment

The full conference on YouTube for y'all to view

Comment

Trump blasts ‘out of control’ media, defends agenda at heated press conference

President Trump’s feud with the media turned into an all-out war Thursday afternoon.

His early presidency beset by damaging leaks and a burst of staff turmoil, Trump used a hastily called press conference to blast the media’s coverage of his administration in his strongest terms yet. He claimed the press is “out of control,” reports on his team’s ties to Russia are “fake,” and news outlets are attacking him because they oppose his agenda.

"The media’s trying to attack our administration because they know we are following through on the pledges that we made, and they’re not happy about it," Trump declared at the White House.

The president spoke and took questions for more than an hour and 15 minutes, even joking with some reporters toward the end and saying he was having fun. In a bid to preempt negative coverage of his remarks, Trump insisted he was not "ranting and raving." But he lamented that the "tone" of coverage of his administration is one of "such hatred."

"The public doesn't believe you people anymore," he said.

Trump, who is dealing with the roughest stretch of his nascent presidency so far, unleashed the battery of accusations after first announcing his newest pick for labor secretary. After his original nominee withdrew, Trump nominated law school dean and former federal prosecutor Alexander Acosta for the post Thursday.
          Fox News - Full Article

Comment

Trump airs grievances at first full press conference

President Trump denounced news reports about a White House in chaos during a lengthy press conference on Thursday that touched on Russia, the administration's agenda and his tempestuous relationship with the media.

Trump repeatedly insisted that his administration is off to a smooth and effective start while airing his grievances against the intelligence community, the political press and Senate Democrats, whom he slammed for blocking his Cabinet picks.

“I turn on the TV, open the newspapers and I see stories of chaos. Chaos. Yet it is the exact opposite. This administration is running like a fine-tuned machine,” he said.

Trump appeared to be seeking to regain control of the narrative on his presidency, which has been subjected to one controversy after another during his first 27 days in power.

This week has been a particularly tough one for the Trump White House, which saw national security adviser Michael Flynn resign under pressure and Labor Secretary nominee Andy Puzder withdraw his controversial nomination because of Republican objections.
            The Hill - Full Article

Comment

Planet Trump

President Donald Trump attacked the media and dismissed any suggestion of a White House in crisis during a bizarre press conference at the White House Thursday afternoon.

In the midst of the fallout from the Monday-night resignation of National Security Adviser Michael Flynn — fallout that’s prompted even greater scrutiny of Trump’s and his team’s connections to Russia — the president took questions from the press for more than an hour. This despite the fact that Trump said the press was filled with “hatred” for him, as he repeatedly attacked the media’s credibility, telling the assembled journalists that “the public doesn’t believe you anymore.”

The press “will not tell you the truth,” Trump said, which was why he was speaking “directly to the American people.”

Trump attacked the leaks to journalists that ultimately led to Flynn’s resignation, and he dismissed any reported connections to Russia. He also announced that a new immigration executive order, to be signed as early as next week, would be tailored to the recent court decisions that effectively halted the travel ban he signed in late January.
              Vice News - Full Article

Here a couple of highlights on YouTube to go with the section of quotes they have from the conference:

Donald Trump responds to how the leaks are real but the news is fake

President Trump is asked if he directed Mike Flynn to discuss sanctions with the Russian ambassador

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                Since this is an issue I love examining, I thought I'd create a thread dedicated to Trump and the antagonistic relationship he has with the news media. And considering today's news conference, it seemed a good as time as any.

Reuters - Full Article
                You mean the antagonistic relationship the news media has with Trump just because he won the election over their chosen one.
                Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

President Trump is asked why should Americans trust him

Here's the short clip for that cutting question asked during the conference.

Comment

I think part of the problem is that he's has a hostile media setting him up with questions that he'll react poorly to. They don't leak the questions to him beforehand like they did with the hell-hag and bobo.

One solution would be having a panel of qualified advisers field the questions, another would be saying I'll get back to you on that issue...

He also could deny access to hostile media agents, but that'd be going the way of bobo and I'm not comfortable with that.

Just my two cents...
                    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                      You mean the antagonistic relationship the news media has with Trump just because he won the election over their chosen one.
                      Such a simplistic representation would be a gross error. There has been a back and forth for a while. Trump is not an innocent victim of some malicious media plot to bring him down. He began his conference by calling out the news media, and has been doing so for some time (fake news, anyone?).

Trump and his relationship with the news media will fill dozens of books in the future, I can guarantee you. It is an incredible thing to watch because it's so unprecedented - the only similar case I can remember off the top of my head was Spiro Agnew lambasting the news media for unfairly analyzing a speech by Nixon in '68.

The news media as a whole certainly has a left of center bias - like many big lies there is a grain of truth in the center - but Trump was never looking to even try and get them on his side. They've been liars and scum from the very beginning, so it isn't shocking to see that sort of relationship is returned.

And why would he? The news media isn't a byword for trustworthiness and honesty. Nobody looks at journalists and thinks "yeah, they're an upstanding bunch of guys".

Trump has lots to gain on the domestic front by making enemies of the news media for many reasons: it plays well to his base (lots of examples of that here), helps to alienate his supporters from contrary views (they'll avoid the 'fake news' that is critical of him in favor of agreeable sources), and it won't really hurt his political career because he was already expecting the news media to be his enemy even before he won the election.

What I find more interesting is how the partisan beliefs of certain individuals shapes almost every aspect of this relationship. The news media can be liars for spreading 'fake news', but when Trump is caught out lying or making patently false claims - of which there have been many - it is dismissed as irrelevant or not a reflection on himself, his character, or his supporters. Hypocrisy looks to be a prerequisite for becoming an ardent Trump supporter.

Then you have those who are so caught up in their Trump Hate (tm) that they are blowing their gasket with every word he utters. It's not enough for Trump to be wrong, they want him to be a racist, bigoted criminal, so they don't ever have to listen to anything he actual says - and feel good about doing so too. Ignorance is a core component for the most actively anti-Trump demagogues.

The role the media plays in all of this is a complex one. With so many audiences around, it is easier than ever to find a news source that you agree with. People prefer views they agree with and dislike having their beliefs or views challenged, making people more likely to shift into more homogeneous audiences.

What makes that worrying isn't just that it creates multiple echo chambers where the 'marketplace of ideas' is abandoned in favor of hearing yes-men on TV, but it also makes the financial incentive to do so greater.

One just has to look at the steady growth of Fox News (up 36% from 2015) and MSNBC's (up 87% from 2015) audience share to see that the financial incentive is for the news media to "take sides".

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                        I think part of the problem is that he's has a hostile media setting him up with questions that he'll react poorly to. They don't leak the questions to him beforehand like they did with the hell-hag and bobo.

One solution would be having a panel of qualified advisers field the questions, another would be saying I'll get back to you on that issue...

He also could deny access to hostile media agents, but that'd be going the way of bobo and I'm not comfortable with that.

Just my two cents...
                        Well there's also the fact that he likes the hostile questions, to an extent. As I mentioned above, his supporters eat it up. Conservatives have hated the news media for 50 years - Trump being aggressive with them only serves his interests (to some degree).

But it does create a feedback loop. If he is hostile and aggressive to journalists, how can he expect them to not be put off? Again, I think he never put it that way himself - if the media was going to be your enemy no matter what, then why even bother?

Yet that then leads to journalists reporting on it and responding in kind. After all, there are only so many times where you can call them liars before they'll start taking a bit of joy in pointing out how many times you've lied in turn.

Which then makes his earlier claims about the news media being out to get him become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I say 'a bit' because it's beyond debate that there is a left of center bias in the news media (and no, not like the idiots who talk about the Communist News Network. ), and like many dubious claims there is always a grain of truth somewhere, in this case being the news media hardly being on the best of terms with Trump in the early days.

What seems the most poisonous there is that we have a chicken or egg scenario, with both sides thinking they're in the right. For Trump's people, the media's antagonism came first. For the journalists, Trump has been treating them with disdain since the beginning.

Comment

Further expanding on what I mentioned above...

This is a look into just how Trump's angry tirades and antagonistic approach - and how antagonistic questions by angry journalists - can help serve Trump's political career:

Trump supporters cheer his combative stance with the media

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Critics of President Donald Trump saw in his Thursday news conference a combative, thin-skinned chief executive who continues to blame the media for the controversies roiling his administration.

His supporters saw something else: A champion of Middle America who is taking on the establishment and making good on his campaign promises to put the country first.

The Associated Press contacted Trump supporters across the country to see how they viewed a news conference in which the president said his administration was running like "a fine-tuned machine" despite the resignation of his top national security adviser, a court setback on his immigration order, a defeat for his nominee as labor secretary and reports of internal divisions.

Here are views of some of those supporters:
                          AP - Full Article

Comment

So its not exactly one sided...
                            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                              Such a simplistic representation would be a gross error. There has been a back and forth for a while. Trump is not an innocent victim of some malicious media plot to bring him down. He began his conference by calling out the news media, and has been doing so for some time (fake news, anyone?).

Trump and his relationship with the news media will fill dozens of books in the future, I can guarantee you. It is an incredible thing to watch because it's so unprecedented - the only similar case I can remember off the top of my head was Spiro Agnew lambasting the news media for unfairly analyzing a speech by Nixon in '68.

The news media as a whole certainly has a left of center bias - like many big lies there is a grain of truth in the center - but Trump was never looking to even try and get them on his side. They've been liars and scum from the very beginning, so it isn't shocking to see that sort of relationship is returned.

And why would he? The news media isn't a byword for trustworthiness and honesty. Nobody looks at journalists and thinks "yeah, they're an upstanding bunch of guys".

Trump has lots to gain on the domestic front by making enemies of the news media for many reasons: it plays well to his base (lots of examples of that here), helps to alienate his supporters from contrary views (they'll avoid the 'fake news' that is critical of him in favor of agreeable sources), and it won't really hurt his political career because he was already expecting the news media to be his enemy even before he won the election.

What I find more interesting is how the partisan beliefs of certain individuals shapes almost every aspect of this relationship. The news media can be liars for spreading 'fake news', but when Trump is caught out lying or making patently false claims - of which there have been many - it is dismissed as irrelevant or not a reflection on himself, his character, or his supporters. Hypocrisy looks to be a prerequisite for becoming an ardent Trump supporter.

Then you have those who are so caught up in their Trump Hate (tm) that they are blowing their gasket with every word he utters. It's not enough for Trump to be wrong, they want him to be a racist, bigoted criminal, so they don't ever have to listen to anything he actual says - and feel good about doing so too. Ignorance is a core component for the most actively anti-Trump demagogues.

The role the media plays in all of this is a complex one. With so many audiences around, it is easier than ever to find a news source that you agree with. People prefer views they agree with and dislike having their beliefs or views challenged, making people more likely to shift into more homogeneous audiences.

What makes that worrying isn't just that it creates multiple echo chambers where the 'marketplace of ideas' is abandoned in favor of hearing yes-men on TV, but it also makes the financial incentive to do so greater.

One just has to look at the steady growth of Fox News (up 36% from 2015) and MSNBC's (up 87% from 2015) audience share to see that the financial incentive is for the news media to "take sides".
                              Here is how I see it, first of all I agree with Agnew on one point the Media all leans left, even back then ABC, CBS and NBC, fast forward to today, the media was against Trump from the outset, from when he first announced he was running (so was I) I have never liked the man and this goes back to over 30 years when I lived near his stomping grounds, I always thought he was Buffoon and an A$$hole and I still think he is, but he got himself elected POTUS and the Media just doesn't know how to deal with it and they are infuriated, they don't like Street Talk or Nose to Nose confrontations, I do, I would trust Trump before I would trust the Media!
                              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X