Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stormy weather...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stormy weather...

    So how is it where your at? I'm having fun with epic rains and flooding.
    Its been pouring for the last two weeks and am expecting another massive storm to hit this weekend. I was amused at seeing water geyser out from gopher holes the other day...

    I'm safe from the flooding because my place is on to top of the hills but expect to be trapped at home due to down trees and landslides...

    KSBW Meteorologist Art Jarrett said widespread rainfall will arrive on the Central Coast Saturday morning. Heavy downpours are forecast to begin Saturday evening, and the storm will pack its most powerful punch Sunday, Jarrett said.
    FORECAST: Art Jarrett has your local storm forecast
    KSBW Meteorologist Lee Solomon said Santa Cruz County will be in the "bullseye" of this super-soaker storm.
    Solomon said flood-prone neighborhoods in Santa Cruz, Captiola, and Soquel may experience flooding Sunday morning. Homes could sustain damages. The San Lorenzo River, Aptos Creek, Soquel Creek, and Capitola Creek will overflow, Solomon said.
    VIDEO: Santa Cruz County prepares for super soaker storm

    "All residents are advised to prepare their personal property and family now for extreme rainfall," Santa Cruz emergency services officials said.

    The San Lorenzo River floods when it rises to 20 feet.



    In emergency situations, Santa Cruz residents can call for help at:

    · Threat to life and property: 911
    · Street flooding: (831) 420-5530
    · American Red Cross (831) 462-2881
    An atmospheric river of warm and highly concentrated water will pound the northern two-thirds of California, overwhelming rivers.

    At least 13 inches of rain will fall on the Santa Cruz mountains this weekend, Jarrett said.
    SANDBAGS: Free sandbag locations on the Central Coast
    FLOOD MAPS: Neighborhoods in the flood zone
    In the Santa Cruz and Santa Lucia mountains, where the summer's Loma and Soberanes wildfires lefts swaths of earth scorched, hydrologists are concerned about the potential for debris flows.
    At lower elevations along the coast and valleys, weekend rainfalls will range between 1.5 - 3.5 inches.

    VIDEO: Tuesday's storm was wet and wild on Central Coast






    Loch Lomond Reservoir spilling over

    Between Friday night and Monday, Santa Cruz will be drenched with 4.84 inches, Monterey with 3.15, Hollister with 2.46, and King City with 1.89, according to the National Weather Service.
    VIDEO: Monterey County prepares for massive storm

    Loch Lomond Reservoir in the Santa Cruz mountains filled to capacity and began spilling Wednesday morning. Loch Lomond spills at 577.3 feet elevation. The reservoir is the City of Santa Cruz’s only drinking water source and holds 2.8 billion gallons of water, (about one year’s worth of drinking water for residents.)
    While drought-stressed California has begged for such soaking storms in recent years, the rain may do more harm than good - especially in the mountains - when it surges Sunday.
    "In terms of the way things look meteorologically, this is shaping up to be a significant event," said Scott McGuire, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, which monitors the central Sierra. "We're going to have the highest levels on main-stem rivers in 11 years."






    KSBW
    Big Sur River

    The problem is that a significantly cooler storm dumped several feet of snow and rain in the Sierra on Tuesday and Wednesday, bringing the snowpack up to an encouraging 84 percent of normal, while soaking lower-lying areas.

    Snow will fall at 9,000 feet and higher over the weekend, and up to a foot of rain is forecast to drench everything below that.
    "This is what we talk about with bigger flood events," McGuire said. "Not only are we dealing with a rather significant precipitating event, but the snow is also completely saturated."
    When all that fresh snow melts in the downpour, nearly all major rivers in the central Sierra will rise to their highest levels in years, with many expected to flood.

    The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's early computer models show that the Merced River in Yosemite National Park will surge to near or above a record 23.7 feet. That's well above its 10-foot flood level, and surpasses even its previous record of 23.4 feet set during the devastating January flood of 1997.


    http://www.ksbw.com/article/monster-...recast/8566949


    Oh btw the drought is definitely over on a positive note...
    Credo quia absurdum.


    Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

  • #2
    Sunny and warm here in the Colorado Rockies. I'm taking the dogs to the park today...wearing a T-shirt!
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

    Comment


    • #3
      It's supposed to hit 80 by this weekend...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Sunny and warm here in the Colorado Rockies. I'm taking the dogs to the park today...wearing a T-shirt!
        DAMN, put on some shorts at least. Geesh all those woman and kids laughing.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

        you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
          So how is it where your at? I'm having fun with epic rains and flooding.
          Its been pouring for the last two weeks and am expecting another massive storm to hit this weekend. I was amused at seeing water geyser out from gopher holes the other day...

          I'm safe from the flooding because my place is on to top of the hills but expect to be trapped at home due to down trees and landslides...

          KSBW Meteorologist Art Jarrett said widespread rainfall will arrive on the Central Coast Saturday morning. Heavy downpours are forecast to begin Saturday evening, and the storm will pack its most powerful punch Sunday, Jarrett said.
          FORECAST: Art Jarrett has your local storm forecast
          KSBW Meteorologist Lee Solomon said Santa Cruz County will be in the "bullseye" of this super-soaker storm.
          Solomon said flood-prone neighborhoods in Santa Cruz, Captiola, and Soquel may experience flooding Sunday morning. Homes could sustain damages. The San Lorenzo River, Aptos Creek, Soquel Creek, and Capitola Creek will overflow, Solomon said.
          VIDEO: Santa Cruz County prepares for super soaker storm

          "All residents are advised to prepare their personal property and family now for extreme rainfall," Santa Cruz emergency services officials said.

          The San Lorenzo River floods when it rises to 20 feet.



          In emergency situations, Santa Cruz residents can call for help at:

          · Threat to life and property: 911
          · Street flooding: (831) 420-5530
          · American Red Cross (831) 462-2881
          An atmospheric river of warm and highly concentrated water will pound the northern two-thirds of California, overwhelming rivers.

          At least 13 inches of rain will fall on the Santa Cruz mountains this weekend, Jarrett said.
          SANDBAGS: Free sandbag locations on the Central Coast
          FLOOD MAPS: Neighborhoods in the flood zone
          In the Santa Cruz and Santa Lucia mountains, where the summer's Loma and Soberanes wildfires lefts swaths of earth scorched, hydrologists are concerned about the potential for debris flows.
          At lower elevations along the coast and valleys, weekend rainfalls will range between 1.5 - 3.5 inches.

          VIDEO: Tuesday's storm was wet and wild on Central Coast






          Loch Lomond Reservoir spilling over

          Between Friday night and Monday, Santa Cruz will be drenched with 4.84 inches, Monterey with 3.15, Hollister with 2.46, and King City with 1.89, according to the National Weather Service.
          VIDEO: Monterey County prepares for massive storm

          Loch Lomond Reservoir in the Santa Cruz mountains filled to capacity and began spilling Wednesday morning. Loch Lomond spills at 577.3 feet elevation. The reservoir is the City of Santa Cruz’s only drinking water source and holds 2.8 billion gallons of water, (about one year’s worth of drinking water for residents.)
          While drought-stressed California has begged for such soaking storms in recent years, the rain may do more harm than good - especially in the mountains - when it surges Sunday.
          "In terms of the way things look meteorologically, this is shaping up to be a significant event," said Scott McGuire, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, which monitors the central Sierra. "We're going to have the highest levels on main-stem rivers in 11 years."






          KSBW
          Big Sur River

          The problem is that a significantly cooler storm dumped several feet of snow and rain in the Sierra on Tuesday and Wednesday, bringing the snowpack up to an encouraging 84 percent of normal, while soaking lower-lying areas.

          Snow will fall at 9,000 feet and higher over the weekend, and up to a foot of rain is forecast to drench everything below that.
          "This is what we talk about with bigger flood events," McGuire said. "Not only are we dealing with a rather significant precipitating event, but the snow is also completely saturated."
          When all that fresh snow melts in the downpour, nearly all major rivers in the central Sierra will rise to their highest levels in years, with many expected to flood.

          The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's early computer models show that the Merced River in Yosemite National Park will surge to near or above a record 23.7 feet. That's well above its 10-foot flood level, and surpasses even its previous record of 23.4 feet set during the devastating January flood of 1997.


          http://www.ksbw.com/article/monster-...recast/8566949


          Oh btw the drought is definitely over on a positive note...
          Hope none of this is effecting you directly.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

          Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

          you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

          Comment


          • #6
            Temps finally above freezing, during day at least. Into 30s to 40s.

            About a week ago, got an inch or so of snow (not unusual), next day came an inch or so of freezing rain on top of that (most unusual). Then came a dump of about a foot (or more, other parts of county). Winters usually are mild with little to no snow here in flatlands, this sort of weather happens about every five years or so.

            Last nite it started to warm above freezing and rain, so now we have slush. Will likely be a few days before the major portion of snow melts, making for soggy ground and some flooding likely.

            Fortunately we only get this sort of Winter every few to several years, but it is a mess. I've a lot of broken off branches in back yard to clear and cut. Will later have to finish the pruning project nature did.

            Years ago the "Gorebal Warming" crowd said we'd be getting Winters like California, but this is nothing like I experienced when I lived there. I want my "global warming".

            Comment


            • #7
              Snow. Will take the kids sledding later.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                Snow. Will take the kids sledding later.
                Yeah I heard you guys are getting buried in snow.
                Credo quia absurdum.


                Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                  Yeah I heard you guys are getting buried in snow.
                  Not buried: maybe 5 or 6 inches.
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I's been in the 70s all of last week and this week, it was 83 here yesterday but it's only 63 today.
                    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It's raining, and the wind can't be bothered to blow around you, so wants to go through you instead.

                      Pretty much par for the course.
                      Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Middle of the Central Coast of Cali is getting a lot of good rain. Not as hard as the northern part of the state. We have been getting it a day or two and then just mist. But our lakes are starting to get filled up and a couple of them Santa Margarita and Atascadero lakes are releasing water because of over fill. Our Twitchell Dam is even a quarter full yet.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          December and January was very snowy but it has gotten milder since the end of January. We got about an inch of snow Tuesday night but today the temperature reached 50. This weekend they are calling for some snow but don't know if it we will be anything major.
                          “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                          ― Groucho Marx

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I wasn't kidding about geysers of water shooting out of gopher holes...

                            We are super soaked out here. Kinda disconcerting to see water spurting up from a gopher hole... Yeah only six inches or so, but disturbing nonetheless.
                            Credo quia absurdum.


                            Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Just went to the store (9:00 pm) in flip flops and a short sleeve shirt to get beer. It was nice out... about 70 degrees...

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X