Will Satire be Trump's Nemesis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Satire be Trump's Nemesis?

I'm hoping I can get through Trump squatting in the White House for 4 years (or however long it takes to evict him) using SNL as my main news source- supplemented by whatever drugs- sorry, belay that, I meant other satire- I can find, since I think we'd all agree most everything else news-wise is broken.

SNL and others (Fallon++) seem to have acquired him and his cabal as a viable target for their brand of humor, with a stable of very clever writers and artists (who says the liberal left have no sense of humor/nothing to offer?). He's thin skinned, he watches everything, and it's fairly easy to get a rise out of him.

Some historical background and a quick look on how we got here, including the election day results. Nobody thought he could win.

I think I've got a pretty good grasp of where things are post-election campaign promises and with his 1st Press Conference, and an explanation of his signed tweet (aka executive order) decision making process.

But he's still not happy with his propaganda machine, neither is the Rest of the World with his America First project, but f...f...forget em anyway, they'll get with the program (other countries are already lining up to be America's poodle too, pick your immigrant ancestor's country of origin here).
    Last edited by General Staff; 07 Feb 17, 19:03.
    Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
    (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

And if you want an alternative universe on the whole of the 2016 Presidential Election, you could do worse than try here for the whole story, beginning to end.

Comment

Nope. Comedy by Progressive leaning comics like SNL has will only egg him on to slam them in public more. Trump will call them out, point them out, and keep them in the public's face for the next 4 years.
      The worst thing for the Left is that doing exactly that plays to Trump. It makes them look petty as they endlessly grasp for more and more mean they can toss at Trump while Trump eats it up and keeps it up publically. In the end, it will only strengthen Trump.
      You can only push over-the-top satire so far before it falls flat on its face. The routine gets old and stale. But, the Left won't see that and will just keep shoveling the SSDD for the next four years.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        Nope. Comedy by Progressive leaning comics like SNL has will only egg him on to slam them in public more. Trump will call them out, point them out, and keep them in the public's face for the next 4 years.
        The worst thing for the Left is that doing exactly that plays to Trump. It makes them look petty as they endlessly grasp for more and more mean they can toss at Trump while Trump eats it up and keeps it up publically. In the end, it will only strengthen Trump.
        You can only push over-the-top satire so far before it falls flat on its face. The routine gets old and stale. But, the Left won't see that and will just keep shoveling the SSDD for the next four years.
        I’m sorry, but reading your post just confirms to me that you have no idea the person you helped put into the White House. For some reason, you, and many others on the far right, think he’s the Dirty Harry of politics. However, that fantasy flies in the face of everything we’ve seen from President Trump. This is a man that is no insecure of himself that he found it necessary to talk his dick size during a national debate.

In the end, it will only strengthen Trump? Clearly you haven’t been watching President Trump since the moment he took the oath of office. Let’s see, what happened on that day? Oh yeah, that’s right, Baghdad Bob came out and yelled at the press because they were reporting it wasn’t the largest audience in history to watch. This is a man that takes everything as a personal attack going so far as to say that ‘any’ news story that doesn’t show him in a good light is “Fake News.” That is not the mark of someone that is strengthened by political Satire. Instead, it’s the mark of a man that is going to end up being brought down by it.

Right now, I look at this administration in much the same way as the Communist witch hunt perpetrated by McCarty. McCarty was a fairly popular fellow who used that popularity hurt a lot in innocent people. Anyone that disagreed with him was branded a communist. However, he finally took it a bridge too far. Mark my words, the same thing is going to befall President Trump. His continuous twitter attacks is going to eventually get him in trouble and I believe political satire is going to play a big role in the next four years (if he lasts that long) because it has become clear that Political Satire is his Kryptonite. It bothers him a great deal as does bad press.

Satire has played a prominent role for and against government leaders all the way back to before the rise of Athens as a City State and it will most likely continue long after you are dead (sorry, I plan to live forever). Case in point, how long has SNL been on the air? They’ve been doing satire for a long time as have all the late-night shows. No political party is immune.

As far as falling flat? Clearly you didn’t watch SNL’s recent depiction of Spicer. They need to invent a new reward for that performance. That performance, just might have ended his career.
        Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthrax View Post
          I’m sorry, but reading your post just confirms to me that you have no idea the person you helped put into the White House. For some reason, you, and many others on the far right, think he’s the Dirty Harry of politics. However, that fantasy flies in the face of everything we’ve seen from President Trump. This is a man that is no insecure of himself that he found it necessary to talk his dick size during a national debate.

In the end, it will only strengthen Trump? Clearly you haven’t been watching President Trump since the moment he took the oath of office. Let’s see, what happened on that day? Oh yeah, that’s right, Baghdad Bob came out and yelled at the press because they were reporting it wasn’t the largest audience in history to watch. This is a man that takes everything as a personal attack going so far as to say that ‘any’ news story that doesn’t show him in a good light is “Fake News.” That is not the mark of someone that is strengthened by political Satire. Instead, it’s the mark of a man that is going to end up being brought down by it.

Right now, I look at this administration in much the same way as the Communist witch hunt perpetrated by McCarty. McCarty was a fairly popular fellow who used that popularity hurt a lot in innocent people. Anyone that disagreed with him was branded a communist. However, he finally took it a bridge too far. Mark my words, the same thing is going to befall President Trump. His continuous twitter attacks is going to eventually get him in trouble and I believe political satire is going to play a big role in the next four years (if he lasts that long) because it has become clear that Political Satire is his Kryptonite. It bothers him a great deal as does bad press.

Satire has played a prominent role for and against government leaders all the way back to before the rise of Athens as a City State and it will most likely continue long after you are dead (sorry, I plan to live forever). Case in point, how long has SNL been on the air? They’ve been doing satire for a long time as have all the late-night shows. No political party is immune.

As far as falling flat? Clearly you didn’t watch SNL’s recent depiction of Spicer. They need to invent a new reward for that performance. That performance, just might have ended his career.
          I have a clear idea of how the Left comes off when it does hard satire. That's what matters here. SNL has been on the air a long time. It's current crop of actors haven't been on SNL all that long.
          Yes, I watched McCarthy's sketch of Spicer. It was mediocre, as much of McCarthy's comedy has been.

From what I can tell, the Left sees what is funny in a totally different way than the rest of humanity does. I'm not saying that's wrong... not by a long shot. But, when the Left tries to use that comedy to convince the rest of us about something, they fall flat on their face doing it. Instead of funny, it comes of either stupid or mean, or both.

As for the original McCarthy... Most of his "witch hunt" has been proven true by history. Like it or don't there was a pretty big Communist movement that was working for the Soviets as spies or working to overthrow the US government at the time.

So far, the press a picture speaks a thousand words.

As examples of this, I regularly try to listen to Left Wing talk radio. I can only take so much of the inane ramblings of talkers like Stephanie Miller or Randi Rhodes. They're jerks. They think they're funny but their scatological musings are just stupid.

Take Samantha Bee on TBS. Another show that comes of shrill and hateful more than funny. I suppose the Left likes her humor, as she's still on.
          Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 07 Feb 17, 23:36.

Comment

1) SNL has been on the air a long time. It's current crop of actors haven't been on SNL all that long.

2) As for the original McCarthy... Most of his "witch hunt" has been proven true by history. Like it or don't there was a pretty big Communist movement that was working for the Soviets as spies or working to overthrow the US government at the time.

3) I regularly try to listen to Left Wing talk radio. I can only take so much of the inane ramblings of talkers like Stephanie Miller or Randi Rhodes. They're jerks. They think they're funny but their scatological musings are just stupid. Take Samantha Bee on TBS. Another show that comes of shrill and hateful more than funny. I suppose the Left likes her humor, as she's still on.
            1) Yes, and I never really found it amusing. But in Trump they've found a target their writers and comic talent can really get their teeth into. Satire (political or otherwise) has to have good material to be effective and the Trump Cabal is providing plenty. You can't really whinge and whine about getting shot when you're providing the ammunition. Stop the ammo and the firing HAS to stop.

I hope this tag team continues, because I've found humor a great antidote or diversion (heard that word used elsewhere recently?) from your (or everyone's) troubles. So keep up with the ammo WH, and keep shooting SNL!

2) I'd disagree vehemently with 'most'- if you fling enough around, some will stick, and I'd hope we'd agree McCarthy's tactics were reprehensible. Oddly enough, Trump was something of a pet project for McCarthy's right hand hatchet man, Roy Cohn, a pretty unsavory character however you look at him.

3) I may be considered a liberal (I'm actually a lapsed- or reformed, take your pick- Republican), but I can't stand this drivel either. Some of it's just trying to make a $ of extreme left wing crap, and the extremes of both sides I find pretty nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthrax View Post
              I believe political satire is going to play a big role in the next four years (if he lasts that long) because it has become clear that Political Satire is his Kryptonite.
              I agree with everything you said in your post, but this stands out- thank you.

As a classic narcissist, Trump can't (and won't be able to without making errors in judgement) stand it when he's forced to look in a mirror that shows him in a (very) unflattering light.

Comment

Originally posted by General Staff View Post
                ...it's fairly easy to get a rise out of him...
                Too easy.

Comment

Satire Will Not Be His Nemises

This program proves that:

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                  Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Way back "in the day" didnt Nixon have the Smothers Bros "pulled" from TV regarding some comments on the Vietnam War???

Comment

Originally posted by General Staff
                      Will Satire be Trump's Nemesis?
                      Words did not seem to bother [Wm Marcy "Boss"] Tweed. “I don’t care a straw for your newspaper articles; my constituents don’t know how to read, but they can’t help seeing them damned pictures,” he is quoted as saying.

"How a series of political cartoons by artist Thomas Nast helped send William 'Boss' Tweed to prison," by Mara Bovsun, New York Daily News, 12 Dec 2015

To this point Pres Trump has only had a taste of what his new job demands. If he insists on getting all worked up by each and every negative utterance he'll age himself prematurely, and in a office that's notorious for aging its occupants prematurely, Pres Trump can find himself aging far faster than he's ever imagined.
                      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Bow View Post
                        Way back "in the day" didnt Nixon have the Smothers Bros "pulled" from TV regarding some comments on the Vietnam War???
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

From what I can tell, the Left sees what is funny in a totally different way than the rest of humanity does. I'm not saying that's wrong... not by a long shot. But, when the Left tries to use that comedy to convince the rest of us about something, they fall flat on their face doing it. Instead of funny, it comes of either stupid or mean, or both.
                          I would disagree:

However, viewers of satire are more likely to watch and read traditional news sources as well, according to an article in the Columbia Journalism Review. In fact, satirists often refer to other news sources to provide background for their critiques, as Stewart has done numerous times with CNN and Fox News, serving the dual purpose of communicating news and criticizing the current methods of political media. The same article also references research that suggests increased viewership of political humor does not distance the audience from politics but instead “increases knowledge of current events, leads to further information-seeking on related topics, and increases viewer interest in and attention paid to politics and news.” This more informed and interested audience naturally has more opportunities to share educated opinions with others and provoke discussion.

Arguments that satire actually increases narrow-mindedness because it panders to liberals also have their flaws. While there are few Republican and conservative viewers, data show that less than half of the viewers of “The Daily Show” and “The Colbert Report” are liberals; in fact, 38 percent of viewers of “The Colbert Report,” as well as 41 percent of those watching “The Daily Show,” consider themselves independents. These shows have roughly the same percentage of Democrat viewers as the New York Times and USA Today and a lower percentage than CNN, all of which claim to be non-partisan news sources.
                          Man, if I wasn't working on my Masters degree I would totally do a research paper on this.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...itical-satire/

By the way, I did a search on:
                          how political satire shapes politics

There is a large body of work on the subject. I'm hoping I can find some other sources in my university's web library.
                          Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

Comment

http://www.theonion.com/article/secr...ivision--55263

WASHINGTON—In an effort to respond to the vast and ever-changing dangers faced by the nation’s commander-in-chief, Secret Service administrators announced Wednesday the creation of an Emotional Protection Division to safeguard President Donald Trump’s psyche.

The new unit’s three dozen agents, who have undergone rigorous training to prepare for their challenging role, will be charged with defending the 45th president’s psychological well-being around the clock, investigating foreign and domestic threats to his self-esteem and quickly intercepting any spoken or written criticisms before they can harm his pride.

“After conducting a full review of the operational procedures available to us, it became clear that adding this new division was the only way to meet President Trump’s emotional security needs,” said Secret Service director Joseph Clancy, noting that the president’s detail is specially trained in assessing risks and minimizing any opportunity for him to feel insecure or belittled. “His psyche could be put in grave danger from unfavorable poll numbers or suddenly come under attack from a White House press corps heavily armed with uncomfortable questions.”

Comment

"Who under 50 watches TV anymore?"

-Ann Coulter
                              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X