No announcement yet.

UN Ambassador Haley hits Russia hard on Ukraine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I meant is that there were perfectly good military reasons for the Russians to take control of the peninsula in the way they did.

It is the base of their Black Sea fleet and the situation in Ukraine was unstable, to say the least.

It could have been left at that and then Crimea could have been part of an ultimate settlement, involving East Ukraine as well.

The unilateral annexation though created a fait accompli the Ukrainians cannot formally accept, European nations cannot ignore and Russia cannot back down from.

A political blunder of the first order imho. they confused their military objective with political motivations.
    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

There won't be much of either country getting tough on each other. How about we get tough on a real enemy like Isil.

What counts is that Trump and Putin will bring Russia and the USA closer together.
      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
      Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

What counts is that the people of Ukraine find a way to stop killing each other.

Neither Putin nor Trump is very useful in that regard, and IS sure has nothing to do with it.
        Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
          What I meant is that there were perfectly good military reasons for the Russians to take control of the peninsula in the way they did.

It is the base of their Black Sea fleet and the situation in Ukraine was unstable, to say the least.

It could have been left at that and then Crimea could have been part of an ultimate settlement, involving East Ukraine as well.

The unilateral annexation though created a fait accompli the Ukrainians cannot formally accept, European nations cannot ignore and Russia cannot back down from.

A political blunder of the first order imho. they confused their military objective with political motivations.
          That is one of the obstacles I've seen in understanding the western perspective on the issue. Except for a few members, I would bet most ACGers would have backed a peaceful referendum to decide if the Crimean population wanted to peacefully join Russia (see: Scottish referendum and Brexit) - it was never the actual annexation objected to, but the methods and decisions taken that created the strongest backlash.

Russia's military move - as justified as it may seem to Russians fearing what would happen to ethnic Russians in Ukraine - was a shock to Western Europe and a challenge to the post-war political status quo that has developed.

If could easily be argued that it was a blunder and provocation for the western powers to have gotten involved in Ukraine so directly in the first place, and Russia's aggressive move in Crimea only increased the tension there by making a solution less likely.

I mean, let's be frank here: did Russia actually expect that after a military invasion of their country and a resulting annexation that the Ukraine government would not feel threatened and see a military response as its only course? That's as daft as thinking Russia would tolerate the US supporting uprisings in the Ukraine in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
            What counts is that the people of Ukraine find a way to stop killing each other.

Neither Putin nor Trump is very useful in that regard, and IS sure has nothing to do with it.
            I would like to see peace as well.
            Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
            Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Ambassador Haley did the right thing regarding Russia, something Trump is refusing to do.

It was reported last evening that during the O'Reilly interview he commented that he wasn't sure or wasn't convinced that Russia was behind the current violence in Eastern Ukraine.

I have no doubt that he also believes in the Easter Bunny.
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                Ambassador Haley did the right thing regarding Russia, something Trump is refusing to do.
                You really have to get over it. Ambassadors get their marching orders that originate from where?

It was reported last evening that during the O'Reilly interview he commented that he wasn't sure or wasn't convinced that Russia was behind the current violence in Eastern Ukraine.
                And Ukraine has nothing to do with it?

I have no doubt that he also believes in the Easter Bunny.
                How Trumpish of you.
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X