No announcement yet.

Quebec mosque shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since it's Muslims that were attacked PM Zoolander immediately called it a terrorist attack unlike the Boston bombings which he didn't call a terrorist attack and said we need to understand who did this and make them feel more included into society.
    The killer was a White person so he's not going to be encouraging that type of sympathy that he has for Muslim terrorists.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
      . . . he likes soft drinks it would seem
      Think he likes dentists?
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Here is Alexandre Bissonette's Face Page showing his "Likes"

Update: Bissonette now the sole suspect
        Not for nothing, but how come these (alleged) white supremacist types all look like genetic basket cases? Check out Charleston church shooter Dylan Roof, with his Moe Howard hairdo:

And the guy who shot up the Sikh temple in Wisconsin:

Not exactly a popular fellow on the night club scene, eh.

Now along come this Quebec a$$hole, with his antique military gear, and what does he do in lieu of getting his wick wet? He shoots up a mosque.

Getting backed up like that is more dangerous than I ever realized. In time, you end up shooting lead.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
          Not for nothing, but how come these (alleged) white supremacist types all look like genetic basket cases? Check out Charleston church shooter Dylan Roof, with his Moe Howard hairdo:

And the guy who shot up the Sikh temple in Wisconsin:

Not exactly a popular fellow on the night club scene, eh.

Now along come this Quebec a$$hole, with his antique military gear, and what does he do in lieu of getting his wick wet? He shoots up a mosque.

Getting backed up like that is more dangerous than I ever realized. In time, you end up shooting lead.
          I mean look at fiction, it even applies there....

Gen Jack D Ripper:

I first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love...Yes, a profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I-I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence.
          “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
          “To talk of many things:
          Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          And why the sea is boiling hot—
          And whether pigs have wings.”
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
            I mean look at fiction, it even applies there....

Gen Jack D Ripper:

I first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love...Yes, a profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I-I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence.
            Hold on a second. If you've ever been married, you know full well what blood-suckers women are. I swear they can remove the marrow out of your bones, and not through any fun process like sexual congress. Don't believe me? Just take your missus to your local shopping mall.

Comment

Its so sad that we have all gotten down to just hoping it was one from the left or right in these killings. We forget I think about the victims, because of our petty political causes. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
                Its so sad that we have all gotten down to just hoping it was one from the left or right in these killings. We forget I think about the victims, because of our petty political causes. RIP.
                That is because there are two large groups in society who have a theory/ideology, and are desperate to find any examples that will fit their mold.

On the right you have the "Muslims are violent" crowd: they want every violent episode to be caused by followers of Islam because it feeds a narrative about the faith being a homogeneous (and inherently violent / anti-western / incompatible with democracy) entity they can use as their villain.

On the left you have the "Trump (formerly "conservatives/the far-right") is feeding an atmosphere of permitted violence" crowd: they want every episode to be a gun-toting right-side sociopath because it feeds a narrative about the growing right-populist movement as being intolerant, racist, and increasingly violent so they can use their political opponents as the villain. Oh, and don't forget some old fashioned cries for more gun control as well.

The reason both sides do this is not just for callous political gain, however. Both sides do honestly believe that they are doing what is best for their nation, their family, and themselves in support such narratives. For the right, it's that Islam needs to be treated as an enemy and every violent attack by Muslims helps erode that PC shield protecting them. For the left, it's that the increasingly violent rhetoric from the right is only escalating things and is leading to more attacks against innocent citizens.

Because both sides see themselves as doing what is right, and because both sides are throwing competing narratives into the public sphere for debate and consideration, they both latch onto any examples they feel support their side of the story. After all, in their mind their end goal is to help drive political change that will put an end to such attacks and thus save innocent lives.

The ends thus justify using the slain for political gain.

Comment

The victims are in the past, but the politics roll ever, ever on.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                    That is because there are two large groups in society who have a theory/ideology, and are desperate to find any examples that will fit their mold.

On the right you have the "Muslims are violent" crowd: they want every violent episode to be caused by followers of Islam because it feeds a narrative about the faith being a homogeneous (and inherently violent / anti-western / incompatible with democracy) entity they can use as their villain.

On the left you have the "Trump (formerly "conservatives/the far-right") is feeding an atmosphere of permitted violence" crowd: they want every episode to be a gun-toting right-side sociopath because it feeds a narrative about the growing right-populist movement as being intolerant, racist, and increasingly violent so they can use their political opponents as the villain. Oh, and don't forget some old fashioned cries for more gun control as well.

The reason both sides do this is not just for callous political gain, however. Both sides do honestly believe that they are doing what is best for their nation, their family, and themselves in support such narratives. For the right, it's that Islam needs to be treated as an enemy and every violent attack by Muslims helps erode that PC shield protecting them. For the left, it's that the increasingly violent rhetoric from the right is only escalating things and is leading to more attacks against innocent citizens.

Because both sides see themselves as doing what is right, and because both sides are throwing competing narratives into the public sphere for debate and consideration, they both latch onto any examples they feel support their side of the story. After all, in their mind their end goal is to help drive political change that will put an end to such attacks and thus save innocent lives.

The ends thus justify using the slain for political gain.
                    Right. To complicate that there is another narrative at play in Canada that relates to the specific politics of Quebec and also therefore the politics of Canada. One accusation is that the Separatist Party(s) intolerant tribal rhetoric has lead to this shooting pointing to some of their rhetoric and political ads.

The only two actual Muslim Terrorist Acts in Canada before this were both from Quebec citizens, as was the failed Millennium Bomber who wanted to blow up LAX airport. Moreover, the 1989 mass shooting of women students at the "Ecole Polytechnique" which remains the largest mass shooting in Canada's history was in Quebec and the shooter had a Muslim Dad. The debate over the causes of that shooting between feminists, metal Health, Islamism, and the possible link to Quebec separatist ideology is even more complicated.

Here is a discussion of that very issue from a CBC article:

Knowing nothing about the shooter(s) who stormed the Centre Culturel Islamique de Quebec Sunday evening, observers declared the attacker emboldened by Trump's poisonous Islamophobic rhetoric, enough so to kill half a dozen people who had gathered to pray.

No, stupid, others said: that's not it. It was Kellie Leitch's poisonous rhetoric that emboldened the unidentified shooter to target this Quebec City mosque. Granted, we can't be sure that the perpetrator could identify the Conservative leadership contender in a lineup, but we nevertheless can be sure that his actions were de facto sanctioned by Leitch's dog-whistle promise to screen newcomers for so-called Canadian values.

No, English Canada: it was the poisonous "Values Charter" rhetoric championed by the Parti Québécois that sanctioned this despicable act of violence, insisted some armchair analysts in Quebec. All of that talk about "conspicuous" religious symbols — remember that cartoonishly menacing ad about the niqab released by the PQ's federal counterpart, the Bloc Québécois, last year? — created an air of intolerance that culminated in this devastating act of terror.

Hey, wait: don't call this "terrorism," urged the other armpit of the internet, which occupied its early hours objecting to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's characterization of the incident, which was by definition an act of terror. Someone on Reddit said that one of the perpetrators has a Muslim name. And how do we know that this wasn't just a random shooting that, by coincidence, targeted people of a particular faith in a place where they gather to pray, they asked. Maybe the mosque just happened to be on the shooter's bus route?
                    It's very complicated in Quebec.

Comment

I knew a couple who actually celebrated when it came out that the OKC bombers were white guys. And yes, they're as nuts as a day is long, in every facet of their lives, not just politics.

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      The victims are in the past, but the politics roll ever, ever on.
                      Damn but you're a cynical sonofabitch.

I'm just jealous that I didn't think of that line first.

Right. To complicate that there is another narrative at play in Canada that relates to the specific politics of Quebec and also therefore the politics of Canada. One accusation is that the Separatist Party(s) intolerant tribal rhetoric has lead to this shooting pointing to some of their rhetoric and political ads.

The only two actual Muslim Terrorist Acts in Canada before this were both from Quebec citizens, as was the failed Millennium Bomber who wanted to blow up LAX airport. Moreover, the 1989 mass shooting of women students at the "Ecole Polytechnique" which remains the largest mass shooting in Canada's history was in Quebec and the shooter had a Muslim Dad. The debate over the causes of that shooting between feminists, metal Health, Islamism, and the possible link to Quebec separatist ideology is even more complicated.

Here is a discussion of that very issue from a CBC article:

It's very complicated in Quebec.
                      Isn't that simply the nature of Les Quebecois: to take the complicated, and complicate it some more? Rimshot

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                        Isn't that simply the nature of Les Quebecois: to take the complicated, and complicate it some more? Rimshot
                        It sure is. During both Separation referendum debates I became totally obsessed with understanding the complexities of the arguments and awed by the drama and turns of these events which put Canada into crisis and still, much as I try, I don't understand Quebec.

Comment

Vigils have been organized all over Canada tonight to support solidarity with the victims, I'm probably going to head downtown myself.
                          RIP to the victims. Prayers are with Canada.
                          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                            RIP to the victims. Prayers are with Canada.
                            Thanks

Comment

Eiffel tower goes dark for Quebec victims

Thanks France, you're the best:

Comment

A mosque was burned down in Texas Saturday night. Seems violence against Muslims is on the uptick.

However, they've raised something like 600,000 to rebuild and the Texas community is rallying around them. Thought I would end this on a positive note.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X