Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if NYC's power grid takes a hit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    Is there an assumption here that financial services are still headquartered in Wall Street, or even NYC? Nasdaq is the future of trading markets, and even modest firms have backup offices in other locations. The disruption would likely be minimal.
    A bit like our Fleet Street where the last newspaper moved out some years ago and the industry is now dispersed and many people work from home. Similarly the since the Big Bang and the application of computers a good deal of financial trading has moved out of the City of London. I assume that 'Wall Street' has evolved the same way.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      A bit like our Fleet Street where the last newspaper moved out some years ago and the industry is now dispersed and many people work from home. Similarly the since the Big Bang and the application of computers a good deal of financial trading has moved out of the City of London. I assume that 'Wall Street' has evolved the same way.
      I actually worked on Wall Street back in the '90s when I first broke into financial services. After 11 Sep 2001 I didn't return to Wall Street until last summer. The changes there were jaw-dropping. JP Morgan's and Brown Bros Harriman's old headquarters are now luxury apartment buildings. I member walking up Wall Street to catch the subway late at night on Broadway many times, admiring the long row of limousines waiting in front of House of Morgan, thinking to myself that I'll be working there one day. Nowadays there's a bunch of sandal-wearing long-hairs sipping chai and cat-sht coffee in front of JP Morgan's.

Most of the big financial houses moved uptown. Lots of hedge funds went to Westchester or Fairfield County, Connecticut. And that's not mentioning all the trading done on-line these days. Wall Street isn't a place: it's a state of mind.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

The simple answer is ...

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        Here's the scenario: incident or attack forces the shutdown of two of the aging nuke plants that supply NYC. You are now looking at power rationing, rolling brownout, the whole nine yards.

You are looking at extended repairs for the plants even if the tree-huggers stay out of it.

So: where would Wall Street go?

What else do you think would move out?

What would be the long-term effects of such an incident?
        ... buy more hydro-electric power from Quebec to cover the shortfall; it's state run, the rates are some of the lowest anywhere. NY purchases currently account for 24% of Quebec's power exports, Hydro-Quebec already owns transmission infrastructure in the NYC area - power grids are integrated.

"I am Groot"
        - Groot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X