Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forced to fill out race/ethnicity box during my Health Insurance application process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced to fill out race/ethnicity box during my Health Insurance application process

The following question came up today when I applied for my health insurance on the ny state health insurance website,

American Indian / Alaska Native

American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN) can continue to get services from the Indian Health services, tribal health programs or urban indian health program. If you or your family members are American Indian or Alaska Native, you may not have to pay co-pays and deductibles, and you can sign up for insurance in any month during the year.

Is John American Indian or Alaska Native?

I should not be forced to answer such a question....it goes against common sense. What about the folks who just identify as human and without the other self identifications.

In addition, everyone in the USA must receive the same treatment regardless of their ethnicity or religion...or else we do not live in a society as envisioned by the constitution. What I read from the NYS health insurance site above is an injustice. So Trump folks if your reading this...do something about it please.

Other then the above question my insurance application process is going somewhat smoothly. Customer service was friendly and has helped me throughout the process.
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Your looking in the wrong places. Some races have a greater chance of getting certain illness. American Blacks have a problem with high blood pressure and sugar. Is that racist or just plain fact of nature? Not much different than NA have a decreased tolerance for alcohol.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

It is very simple - it's asking whether you get covered by the Federal Goverment , the formally Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
        Your looking in the wrong places. Some races have a greater chance of getting certain illness. American Blacks have a problem with high blood pressure and sugar. Is that racist or just plain fact of nature? Not much different than NA have a decreased tolerance for alcohol.
        Well I dont find there is a such thing as race. So I am looking at this issue differently then you are at least wrt the racial aspect.

That said John....its certainly true that white people burn easier in the sun then black folks do. So even if Indians have a decreased tolerance for alcohol(which I dont agree with) then they dont deserve to get an extra break...whites burn easier in the sun.....its not like we get a break for that.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Aber View Post
          It is very simple - it's asking whether you get covered by the Federal Goverment , the formally Bureau of Indian Affairs.
          Well I read the question as if it was asking folks if they are Native American or not...and Its just my viewpoint that I should not have to answer the question.

They could have asked me does the federal gov cover any of my expenses without asking me if I am a "Native" American or not.

But what about this part of the question though,

If you or your family members are American Indian or Alaska Native, you may not have to pay co-pays and deductibles,

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
            Well I dont find there is a such thing as race. So I am looking at this issue differently then you are at least wrt the racial aspect.

That said John....its certainly true that white people burn easier in the sun then black folks do. So even if Indians have a decreased tolerance for alcohol(which I dont agree with) then they dont deserve to get an extra break...whites burn easier in the sun.....its not like we get a break for that.
            Looks like you are poorly informed. Many Indians lack the specific enzyme that allows the liver to detoxify alcohol. Thus they have no tolerance whatsoever for it.

Blacks get sunburned almost as often as whites do, usually because they erroneously think that they are "sunburn proof".

You didn't like being asked to identify yourself racially on a government form put out by a government which claims not to differentiate among races...I don't blame you. What the form should ask if the person is receiving aid form or registered with specific programs.

When I'm asked to identify myself in that way I always put down "Native American" because I was born here as the fifth generation, and therefore legally a "native American". As I told one government clerk, if you want to pick out the Indians, ask if they are American Indians, not "native Americans".

Otherwise, I simply mark "other" and leave it at that. My comment if asked is that after five generations in America, how the hell do I know what specific group I belong to? That always leaves the government drone without an intelligent response and off I go about my business.

Don't just rebel - have some fun when you do it.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

The following question came up today when I applied for my health insurance on the ny state health insurance website,

American Indian / Alaska Native

American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN) can continue to get services from the Indian Health services, tribal health programs or urban indian health program. If you or your family members are American Indian or Alaska Native, you may not have to pay co-pays and deductibles, and you can sign up for insurance in any month during the year.

Is John American Indian or Alaska Native?

I should not be forced to answer such a question....it goes against common sense. What about the folks who just identify as human and without the other self identifications.

In addition, everyone in the USA must receive the same treatment regardless of their ethnicity or religion...or else we do not live in a society as envisioned by the constitution. What I read from the NYS health insurance site above is an injustice. So Trump folks if your reading this...do something about it please.

Other then the above question my insurance application process is going somewhat smoothly. Customer service was friendly and has helped me throughout the process.
              After voting for Hillary you are now asking for help from Trump.
              My worst jump story:
              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
              No lie.

~
              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                After voting for Hillary you are now asking for help from Trump.
                Good point! Welfare generation...
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

The answer to your . . . . observation is right there in the text that you'd quoted.

American Indians are apparently eligible for health insurance policies not available to the general population. Whether that's right or wrong I'll leave to your judgement. Just bear in mind that Indians are generally more prone to substance abuse, suicide, unemployment, and other medical/psychological/economic/social conditions than is the general population.

Interestingly enough, it was a Canadian, former Sabers coach Ted Nolan, who clued me in to how bad the reservations are. I sure hope he gets another shot coaching in the show soon. Saw his son Jordan and the Kings at the Garden the other night on TV. He's a nasty bastard just like his old man. [Asks mods for grudging respect or "sure wish he was on my team" smilie here.]
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

For crying out loud, from the medical viewpoint there are medical issues that are directly related to your race, ethnicity, ancestry and where you came from. You making something political out of something that is not.

Native Americans get medical coverage from the government due to treaties going back to the 19th century and really have nothing to anything racial this day and age.

As for real medical concerns that may or may not effect you, examples are:

Whites tend to have a higher rate of colon cancer.

Blacks get have high chance of developing sickle cell and high blood pressure.

Asians are tend to have low iron count and iron supplements don't help so they are naturally anemic and can't take certain medications.

Anyone born in Asia have a low possibility of passing the Tuberculosis skin bubble test. Knowing where you were born will help prevent someone without TB being put into an isolation ward.
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I spent about an hour and a half on the phone going back and forth with customer service. I felt like blowing a casket, but I kept cool. Very Very long process this Nys health insurance process has been. Trump folks if your reading this please do something to speed up the NYS marketplace insurance application process.

George S Patton

Comment

I felt like blowing a casket
                        - sic

If you ever blow a casket, please be sure to call George Romero.

Comment

If one makes 30k a year in NYS...your going to pay around 200$ per month for health insurance through the NYS marketplace....in other words highway robbery unless your employer offers a better plan. Pretty much the only folks getting the free healthcare are making under 10k per year of which God only knows how one can make it on 10k a year.

America can not call itself the greatest when folks making 30k-100k are losing considerable amounts of $$$ on health insurance.

George S Patton

Comment

"Never mind that sht!" I want to hear about you blowing a casket.

Comment

America can not call itself the greatest when folks making 30k-100k are losing considerable amounts of $$$ on health insurance.
                              Which is exactly why Obamacare MUST be repealed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X