Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gives the President the authority to order Private Companies to buy US Products?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What gives the President the authority to order Private Companies to buy US Products?

    OK, who can lay out under what legal and constitutional authority President Trump can order US companies to only buy certain products for use in non-government contract projects?

    One of his latest EO's directs that all new pipelines be constructed with US Steel. Now the EO is couched in all kinds of 'outs' so in theory maybe they don't have to do so, but in that case what good is the order???

    Text of the order:

    https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...ican-pipelines

    The Secretary of Commerce, in consultation with all relevant executive departments and agencies, shall develop a plan under which all new pipelines, as well as retrofitted, repaired, or expanded pipelines, inside the borders of the United States, including portions of pipelines, use materials and equipment produced in the United States, to the maximum extent possible and to the extent permitted by law.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

  • #2
    You answered your own question:

    use materials and equipment produced in the United States, to the maximum extent possible and to the extent permitted by law.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
      OK, who can lay out under what legal and constitutional authority President Trump can order US companies to only buy certain products for use in non-government contract projects?

      One of his latest EO's directs that all new pipelines be constructed with US Steel. Now the EO is couched in all kinds of 'outs' so in theory maybe they don't have to do so, but in that case what good is the order???

      Text of the order:

      https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...ican-pipelines
      We covered this in another thread, where it was revealed that the contractors building the pipelines require steel of a certain standard that is not available from Asian mills, and that much of the prefabricated pipeline sections have already been contracted for. In other words, Trump's talk on the subject is all bluster. It seems that in many cases, the deal has already been done.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

      Comment


      • #4
        to the maximum extent possible and to the extent permitted by law.
        I think you already answered it with your own quote.
        ScenShare Guidelines:

        1) Enjoy creating it
        2) Enjoy playing it
        3) Enjoy sharing it
        4) Enjoy helping others create them

        The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

        FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
          We covered this in another thread, where it was revealed that the contractors building the pipelines require steel of a certain standard that is not available from Asian mills, and that much of the prefabricated pipeline sections have already been contracted for. In other words, Trump's talk on the subject is all bluster. It seems that in many cases, the deal has already been done.
          Yes I agree, however it attempts to go way beyond Keystone XL but all pipelines in the US, including any upgrades, additions or repairs.

          So we have one vote that this is a pretty meaningless EO, right?
          “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
          “To talk of many things:
          Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          And why the sea is boiling hot—
          And whether pigs have wings.”
          ― Lewis Carroll

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
            I think you already answered it with your own quote.
            So what is the purpose of the EO if it does not actually do anything new?
            “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
            “To talk of many things:
            Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
            Of cabbages—and kings—
            And why the sea is boiling hot—
            And whether pigs have wings.”
            ― Lewis Carroll

            Comment


            • #7
              It encourages and reminds the oil companies that the president prefers them to source from America if at all possible, and lays the groundwork for possible future penalties.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                It encourages and reminds the oil companies that the president prefers them to source from America if at all possible, and lays the groundwork for possible future penalties.
                Your last point raises the same question I ask in the OP. Under what authority could he or congress impose any such possible future penalties?
                “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                “To talk of many things:
                Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                Of cabbages—and kings—
                And why the sea is boiling hot—
                And whether pigs have wings.”
                ― Lewis Carroll

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                  Under what authority could he or congress impose any such possible future penalties?
                  The authority granted him by the Nielsen Company, the outfit that judged The Apprentice a real ratings grabber.
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                    The authority granted him by the Nielsen Company, the outfit that judged The Apprentice a real ratings grabber.
                    Twitter, don't forget Twitter followings and re-tweets....
                    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    And why the sea is boiling hot—
                    And whether pigs have wings.”
                    ― Lewis Carroll

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      He can if there's any government funding or contracting involved in the project, or it is being done on federal land (eg., an Indian reservation for example). That's already in the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                        Your last point raises the same question I ask in the OP. Under what authority could he or congress impose any such possible future penalties?
                        a) President of the United States

                        b) Asked and answered. You might do some serious research yourself if the question is so captivating, and share your findings with us.

                        You will find historical references to many instances in which the United States demanded that we use our own products and embargoed those of other nations.

                        You will also discover that other nations do this all of the time. Japan, for example, has long blocked buying cars and beef among other things from America. Obviously, governments can make that decision and enforce it.


                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                          Your last point raises the same question I ask in the OP. Under what authority could he or congress impose any such possible future penalties?
                          We'll have to wait ans see what the Commerce Secretary's plan says...
                          The Secretary of Commerce, in consultation with all relevant executive departments and agencies, shall develop a plan under which all new pipelines, as well as retrofitted, repaired, or expanded pipelines, inside the borders of the United States, including portions of pipelines, use materials and equipment produced in the United States, to the maximum extent possible and to the extent permitted by law. The Secretary shall submit the plan to the President within 180 days of the date of this memorandum.

                          We should know the answer this summer.
                          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            a) President of the United States

                            b) asked and answered. You might do some serious research yourself if the question is so captivating, and share your findings with us.

                            You will find historical references to many instances in which the United States demanded that we use our own products and embargoed those of other nations.

                            You will also discover that other nations do this all of the time.
                            So you believe that the Fed government can order private entities to buy certain products from certain sources? As opposed to freely choosing the best product that meets their needs and budget.
                            “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                            “To talk of many things:
                            Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                            Of cabbages—and kings—
                            And why the sea is boiling hot—
                            And whether pigs have wings.”
                            ― Lewis Carroll

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              He can if there's any government funding or contracting involved in the project, or it is being done on federal land (eg., an Indian reservation for example). That's already in the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).
                              Yep.
                              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X