No announcement yet.

Should Trump declare a War on Poverty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Trump declare a War on Poverty?

IMO, yes Donald J Trump should declare a war on poverty. Why some may ask....because a great man, LBJ, declared a war on poverty back in the 1960s.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/War-on-Poverty

What Trump can do is right the errors and drawbacks of LBJ's war on poverty. Sure there may have been some problems with LBJ's war on poverty, but at least LBJ tried. We still have homeless people here in the USA in 2017.

Trump could succeed where LBJ failed in the war on poverty. Trump and his administration....if you are reading this go and tell the press that we are going to eradicate homelessness and end poverty in the USA by 2020. This will bring massive amounts of democrats, liberals, and GOP members together to support Trump in the 2020 election.

Any recommendations on how the USA can completely eradicate homelessness and poverty under DJT would be welcomed.
    Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 25 Jan 17, 16:20.
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Hell no! The last time a President did that we go more poverty than ever!

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. We've had a war on drugs, too -- which we've won about as much as the war on poverty.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Poverty would win.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
          Poverty would win.
          He'd order all the poor people deported to Poor-i-stan.
          Last edited by slick_miester; 25 Jan 17, 13:10.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            Maybe you don't like the name War on Poverty. We can call it the war on homelessness. And homelessness is a societal problem as LBJ correctly pointed out,

Johnson announced an “unconditional war on poverty” in his first State of the Union address, in January 1964. He considered the depth and extent of poverty in the country (nearly 20 percent of Americans at the time were poor) to be a national disgrace that merited a national response. Furthermore, he identified the cause of poverty not as the personal moral failings of the poor but as a societal failure: “The cause may lie deeper in our failure to give our fellow citizens a fair chance to develop their own capacities, in a lack of education and training, in a lack of medical care and housing, in a lack of decent communities in which to live and bring up their children.” The speech was historic in its idealistic call for the creation of a more-just society.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/War-on-Poverty

This is America not North Korea...In America no person should be homeless or living in poverty.

Unless you are not bothered by homeless adults walking our streets tag, we need a solution to eradicate homelessness and poverty in the USA...
            Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
            Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post

Poverty would win.
              It already has.
              Per the link, we've spent $22 trillion on that war to little or no effect.
              http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=25288

There has to be a better way.
              Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

What I can see on these pictures I would say the US need a war on misery. Such kind of poverty I have never seen in my hometown. As I have seen this misery in big quantity around this Central NY Bus-Station in 1980 I was surprised how democracy can work.
                Here in Germoney we are working on to let the people with low income or no income a good quality of living standard. Since Konrad Adenauer did powered the "Rheinische Capitalisms" here all society levels were on the way up. Some did it better, some did not understand. At least we have found the way to a relatively peaceful and modern society, what could help the US-Society as well. Yah, do a war on poverty. There is no need for poverty. But this will happen automatically if Donald runs his way. He will make you happy.
                Mundstuhl - We Germans

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                  This is America not North Korea...In America no person should be homeless or living in poverty.

Unless you are not bothered by homeless adults walking our streets tag, we need a solution to eradicate homelessness and poverty in the USA...
                  What if the person in question is a straight-up bum? I see every day apparently able-bodied adults panhandling, so lazy that instead of actively begging they draw up those stupid cardboard placards. Just outside my office there was enough of that grist for a calendar of them: a new bum every day of the month. (I saved 'em at home, so you'll have to just take my word for it until later.) I especially favored the bums who kept dogs: when they're hungry enough, they'll eat their friggin' dogs. Meanwhile, at the very height of the Great Recession, NPR reported such a shortage of willing applicants had so overwhelmed employers of all stripes that even Conway Trucking was resorting to offering fully-paid CDL training.

. . . . Overall, there are 14 million people looking for work in the U.S., but at the same time there are still job openings around the country.

A surprising number of those openings are going unfilled because employers can't find qualified people — what economists call the labor mismatch. Even with so many people looking for work, many employers say they can't find the right people to hire.

"We have had a job trying to find qualified people," says Kevin Mirner, chief executive officer of Harcros Chemicals in Kansas City, Kan. He was speaking with a panel of CEOs at a business school where this question came up.

Mirner is having trouble finding people with chemical engineering degrees. But he says the problem isn't just with such highly skilled workers.

"Even farther down the distribution business, there's a shortage of truck drivers in this country," Mirner says. "[It's] incredible. ... I mean, there's a skill in driving trucks, don't get me wrong," but he says it's something people can learn.

Still, Mirner says, "we're finding there's a shortage. You listen to the radio, there's commercials for truck companies trying to attract drivers."

Seeking Trained Truck Drivers

Bob Petrancosta, a vice president at nationwide trucking company Con-way Freight, says the truck driver problem is real.

"It is very true, contrary to logic as the economy continues to struggle and unemployment runs high," he says. "In the trucking industry we're experiencing just the opposite: a driver shortage where demand for qualified drivers is very strong at the moment."

Petrancosta says many drivers are getting older and retiring. Meanwhile, he says, it can cost upwards of $4,000 for unemployed people to go to a good trucking school to be trained. The result is that trucking companies like his can't hire qualified people fast enough.

So the company started free driving schools at 75 of its truck yards, with a guaranteed job for people who complete the training.

Petrancosta says that over an 18-month period since the effort got started, "we have graduated nearly 440 drivers and we have a retention rate of 98 percent."

That's because these are good jobs, Petrancosta says. At least at his company there are no long hauls, so the drivers sleep in their own beds every night.

The pay isn't bad either: Pentacosta says a driver with Con-way Freight can expect to make $60,000 to $70,000 a year driving a truck. . . . .

"A Labor Mismatch Means Trucking Jobs Go Unfilled," NPR, 13 Oct 2011
                  Can't locate links for them now, but I recall an out-of-work social worker who'd gotten her degree from Columbia University griping about her $160,000 of student debt -- as if a Hunter College degree wasn't good enough for her. And one of my favorites: farmers who'd hired US citizens to pick crops found that they showed up for one day of work, pi$$ed and moaned, and then disappeared. I'm sorry, but there's all kinds of opportunities out there, only American youth have been so thoroughly conditioned to be sloths that they're no longer able to recognize opportunity when it jumps out and bites them on the nose. I know that there are people out there in serious straits through absolutely no fault of their own, but frankly the whole of our society is so overrun by deadbeats that I no longer give a flyin' fck. I've got problems of my own, and I don't see no activists taking up my cause.

Comment

Pushing the policies that failed for Obama isn't the way to go.

Best thing Trump could do is bring back all the manufacturing jobs that were lost, so these people could work to support themselves.

Comment

I am always shocked by the poverty I see in the USA.
                      It's a black mark on a great country.
                      Equality of opportunity means helping people get to the starting line in life. A hand up instead of a hand out, yes, but hold on for long enough for them to find their feet and stand on their own.
                      "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                      validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                      "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by bart dale View Post

Best thing Trump could do is bring back all the manufacturing jobs that were lost, so these people could work to support themselves.
                        Another Kool-aid drinker. Yeah, Trump'll bring back all the manufacturing jobs -- right after he fires all of the computers.

Comment

No, even if just for the fact that declaring a "war" on some intangible thing is a pathetic move by the government, and has been for half a century.

Let's stop using military jargon to describe a social problem so Sheriff Federal G. Overnment will stop fantasizing about how it's going to kick in a few doors and save the townsfolk from some black-hat bandits pushing narcotics on the poor townsfolk.

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                            I am always shocked by the poverty I see in the USA.
                            It's a black mark on a great country.
                            Equality of opportunity means helping people get to the starting line in life. A hand up instead of a hand out, yes, but hold on for long enough for them to find their feet and stand on their own.
                            Ireland put all of her poor on ships and sent them to Boston. Unfortunately, the Emerald Isle won't take them back.

This isn't India, and this isn't the 1950s. People in today's USA are poor because they want to be poor. They're poor because they do not wish to work. They're poor because they believe that they're too good for the work that is available. I don't know if places like Ireland breed sh*t-don't-stink film majors, but for some reason the US does. It's not my fault that after borrowing something like $150,000 for a UCLA film degree that the graduate in question is qualified only to work in a Starbucks.

Comment

Originally posted by bart dale View Post

Manufacturing jobs are now mostly highly skilled. How do you propose turning an unemployed unskilled laborer into a machinist or tool and die maker or even an assembly technician (or whatever) without years of training?
                              If you re-open steel mills who is going to buy the steel when it's too expensive in a global market? Is the US auto industry going to put itself under even more pressure by taking on an uncompetitive supply base when it needs to sell its cars globally?

The whole notion that bringing back the manufacturing jobs will solve unemployment is total BS. The world had moved on. It's like the gun control people thinking that the government can remove the guns from circulation. You can't turn back time.

America has always said it wanted to spread democracy and freedom. Well guess what, you did. It worked. Now much of the world is free and they are part of the global economy. You can't unwind that, it 'aint the 1950's any more.
                              "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                              validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                              "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Alouette III
                                by casanova
                                The military helicopter Alouette Iii will be staioned off duty in 1923 because of oldness by the Austrian airforce. The Austrian airfoce wants to buy...
                                Today, 00:22
                              • casanova
                                Israel Army
                                by casanova
                                The Israelian Army stationed all airdefencesystens, tanks and soldiers on the Liban and Syrian border. The Iran wants to attack Israel. Arabian terrorists...
                                Yesterday, 23:15
                              • fastidiousboy
                                The best war games on PC
                                by fastidiousboy
                                Which war games are worth your time? It’s a tricky question to answer since war is sort of the default here in the world of PC gaming. The fighting...
                                Yesterday, 20:11
                              Working...
                              X