'1984' Sales Soar After 'Alternative Facts,' Trump Claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '1984' Sales Soar After 'Alternative Facts,' Trump Claims

NEW YORK (AP) -- In the wake of incorrect or unprovable statements made by President Donald Trump and some White House aides, one truth is undeniable: Sales are soaring for George Orwell's "1984."

Orwell's classic dystopian tale of a society in which facts are distorted and suppressed in a cloud of "newspeak" was in the top 5 on Amazon.com as of midday Tuesday. The sales bump comes after the administration's assertions that Trump's inaugural had record attendance and Trump's unfounded allegation that millions of illegal votes were cast against him last fall.
    AP - Full Article

I wonder how many will actually read it?

I've read it twenty times, though not in twelve or so years. It's a must read, like Caro, or Solzhenitsyn's Cancer Ward. They reveal truth about humanity's lowest endeavor.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Exactly......or will they put it down when they realize that they're the ones that actually agree with the antagonist.....that they'd like to suppress the speech of anyone they don't agree with because those dissenters are a bunch of "racist, sexist, misogynist, transphobic, homophobic, islamophobic, xenophobic deplorable bastards".
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
        Exactly......or will they put it down when they realize that they're the ones that actually agree with the antagonist.....that they'd like to suppress the speech of anyone they don't agree with because those dissenters are a bunch of "racist, sexist, misogynist, transphobic, homophobic, islamophobic, xenophobic deplorable bastards".
        It always depends on how they phrase it. The 1st amendment has been chipped away at for centuries now, all justified by the actors involved. After all, everyone likes to think they're on the side of good, even when subverting those same rights they defend.

Comment

Very true. The whole ideal of "I disgree with your words, but I'll die defending your right to say them" is something long forgotten except by a real rarity, a true class of Cincinnati....
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
            Very true. The whole ideal of "I disgree with your words, but I'll die defending your right to say them" is something long forgotten except by a real rarity, a true class of Cincinnati....
            Yup. But look at how many Americans still want to make flag burning illegal, or take down whistleblower sites like Wikileaks, or use government authority to protect what they believe to be civil, socially good speech at the detriment of that which they dislike.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
              AP - Full Article

I wonder how many will actually read it?
              I don't even believe the initial statement.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                I've read it twenty times, though not in twelve or so years. It's a must read, like Caro, or Solzhenitsyn's Cancer Ward. They reveal truth about humanity's lowest endeavor.
                After the Germans and the Japanese in WWII, and the half-century of Soviet despotism, 1984 has become trite.

And if people didn't start reading it when Lil' Bush turned America into a sea of surveillance cameras and agencies, I can't think of a reason why they would start now.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  After the Germans and the Japanese in WWII, and the half-century of Soviet despotism, 1984 has become trite.
                  I actually first read 1984 in 1984. It was a school.project.

In a direct and immediately understandable way, 1984 shows the path from popular acclaim to rigid orthodoxy to state imposed conformity. In a sense we're seeing some of that today.

Comment

I saw the movie 1984 in 1984. Read the book back in the early 70's...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      I saw the movie 1984 in 1984. Read the book back in the early 70's...
                      I thought you were with Blair when he wrote it in 1948.

Rimshot

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsWzfhvvOgg
                        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                          I thought you were with Blair when he wrote it in 1948.

Rimshot
                          Hey, I might be old, but I'm not ancient.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                            Hey, I might be old, but I'm not ancient.
                            Says you, Methuselah.

Comment

I heard that Rod Sterling is making a comeback with a series titled Alt Reality.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X