Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Schumer Broke His Word on Pompeo Confirmation"

Republicans: Schumer Broke His Word on Pompeo Confirmation
    An inside look at the behind-the-scenes drama.

JAN 23, 2017

When President Donald Trump visited the CIA Saturday, he had hoped that CIA Director Mike Pompeo would accompany him. But when Trump arrived at the Langley, Virginia, headquarters of the Agency, he was instead accompanied by Congressman Mike Pompeo.

Representative Pompeo will almost certainly be confirmed as CIA Director on Monday. And the CIA will no doubt survive two days without its new leader. But the nastiness of the partisan sniping between top Republicans and Democrats that led to the delay may well have a lasting impact on the Senate - in this Congress and beyond.

According to six sources familiar with the negotiations over Pompeo's confirmation, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer told Republican leaders that he would allow Pompeo to be confirmed by voice vote on Inauguration Day, along with two other Trump nominees who have national security responsibilities. But Schumer broke his promise, these sources say, and offered an insulting excuse for having done so.

[...]

According to sources familiar with the discussions, Schumer asked his Republican colleagues to delay Pompeo's hearing for one day. "Democrats asked that the hearing be moved so that six hearings did not occur on one day," says a senior Democratic senate aide. "That many cabinet hearings in a single day had only happened once in American history, and it was an unfair schedule to senators on both sides. Republicans accommodated that request."

[...]

McConnell consulted Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr, Intel committee member Tom Cotton, and the incoming Trump administration. Republicans agreed to delay Pompeo, whose team was happy to have an extra day to prepare. But the Republicans had a condition. If we agree to push back Pompeo's hearing for a day, they told Schumer, you must agree to include him in the group of national security officials who will be confirmed by a voice vote on Inauguration Day, January 20. According to these sources, Schumer agreed, with alacrity, having secured the delay he'd sought.

But on January 19, one day before Trump's inauguration, Ron Wyden said he'd seek to delay Pompeo's confirmation when the Senate convened late Friday afternoon.

[...]

The Senate reconvened after the inaugural ceremonies on Friday, with Pompeo's nomination set to come up at 4:50pm. Cotton angrily confronted Schumer about his broken promise. According to witnesses, Schumer told Cotton to lower his voice and asked him move off of the Senate floor to an adjacent hallway for a private discussion. "We need to take this out into the hallway," Schumer said. Cotton walked with Schumer but loudly rejected his first request. "Don't tell me to lower my voice!" he shouted, with an additional salty admonition tacked on for emphasis. Burr and Cornyn were present, as was Senator Mark Warner, ranking member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, and several aides.

Schumer told Cotton that the Senate had never previously confirmed a CIA director on Inauguration Day and if Cotton had been around eight years earlier, he'd know that Republicans didn't extend that courtesy for incoming president Barack Obama. "Eight years ago, I was getting my ass shot at in Afghanistan," Cotton snapped. "So don't talk to me about where I was 8 years ago."

Cotton asked Schumer why he'd gone back on his word. Schumer claimed that he'd only been speaking for himself when he promised to let Pompeo through. "I said that I would not block him," Schumer said, emphasizing the personal pronoun, according to sources who witnessed the exchange. "I never said that I could speak for 47 other Democrats."

The Republicans were stunned.

[...]

http://www.weeklystandard.com/republ...rticle/2006435

It's time for the GOP to "just say no" to every Democrat request from this point forward...
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

How do we know he made any such promise or comment? Did some officially make that comment on the record to the press?

According to sources familiar with the discussions
    We already know that using such an anonymous source is no good. Simple fake news.

So come back when you have something official...
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

It is good we're getting the rules laid out early.

Time to really hammer the DNC on every issue possible.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
        How do we know he made any such promise or comment? Did some officially make that comment on the record to the press?

We already know that using such an anonymous source is no good. Simple fake news.

So come back when you have something official...
        You just needed to read the article...
        Cornyn recalls: "That's when [Schumer] started dissembling and said: 'I don't control my whole caucus.' Either he'd lost control or he was trying to make excuses for an outcome he wanted."

Much of this happened right out in the open and Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) went on record.

The only "sources say" question is whether or not Schumer was just speaking for himself or Senate Democrats.
        A Senate Democratic leadership aide disputed this version of events. "There was never a deal to confirm Rep. Pompeo on Friday. The senate has never confirmed a CIA director on inauguration day in American history, and we asked the Vice President to keep Director Brennan on the job, as Director Hayden stayed on before Director Panetta was confirmed. The incoming administration declined."
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
          You just needed to read the article...
          Cornyn recalls: "That's when [Schumer] started dissembling and said: 'I don't control my whole caucus.' Either he'd lost control or he was trying to make excuses for an outcome he wanted."

Much of this happened right out in the open and Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) went on record.

The only "sources say" question is whether or not Schumer was just speaking for himself or Senate Democrats.
          A Senate Democratic leadership aide disputed this version of events. "There was never a deal to confirm Rep. Pompeo on Friday. The senate has never confirmed a CIA director on inauguration day in American history, and we asked the Vice President to keep Director Brennan on the job, as Director Hayden stayed on before Director Panetta was confirmed. The incoming administration declined."
          The important question is if a deal was ever made. We have no proof of that. Only a reporters word. Which we've been told is not enough.

Fake news.
          “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
          “To talk of many things:
          Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          And why the sea is boiling hot—
          And whether pigs have wings.”
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
            It is good we're getting the rules laid out early.

Time to really hammer the DNC on every issue possible.
            Don't worry... The DNC didn't learn a thing from the hackings that have already occurred on it. They'll hammer themselves because they simply can't get that computer networks are evil rat ba$+asrds that will give you up in a heartbeat if you put stuff you really don't want public on them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X