Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rick Perry realizes he had no clue about the Dept of Energy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Perry realizes he had no clue about the Dept of Energy.

First he clarified his previous ideas on eliminating the department:

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...tment-iy4bs2a4

"After being briefed on so many of the vital functions of the Department of Energy, I regret recommending its elimination,"
    From a close confident of Mr Perry and the Trump Transistion Team:

“If you asked him on that first day he said yes, he would have said, ‘I want to be an advocate for energy,’” said Michael McKenna, a Republican energy lobbyist who advised Mr. Perry’s 2016 presidential campaign and worked on the Trump transition’s Energy Department team in its early days. “If you asked him now, he’d say, ‘I’m serious about the challenges facing the nuclear complex.’ It’s been a learning curve.”
    In other words he had no clue...

Two-thirds of the agency’s annual $30 billion budget is devoted to maintaining, refurbishing and keeping safe the nation’s nuclear stockpile; thwarting nuclear proliferation; cleaning up and rebuilding an aging constellation of nuclear production facilities; and overseeing national laboratories that are considered the crown jewels of government science.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Unlike his recent predecessors, Perry is familiar with the energy-related aspects of the Dept. of Energy and unfamiliar with most of what the agency has been doing...
    Rick Perry Might Convert the DoE Into an Energy Leader
    Rod Adams, Energy Collective December 29, 2016

President-Elect Trump's choice of Rick Perry to run the Department of Energy is good news for people who believe–or want to believe–that the federal government's Department of Energy was formed at the end of the 1970s because voters were tired of our abject dependence on foreign oil and its associated entanglements.

It is likely to be a huge disappointment for those who are more comfortable with the DOE as it exists today, with very little in the way of energy production or innovative energy research attributable to the $30 billion taxpayers spend on its annual budget.

Perry is the former three-term governor of Texas, which arguably has earned the title of “The Energy State.” Texas has been a world-renowned energy powerhouse since the Spindletop gusher first came in on January 10, 1901. Not only has it been a major source of oil and gas for the past century, but it also has lignite deposits, a large and growing wind industry, and two major nuclear stations.

Texas has been home to independents, wildcats, majors and minors. Its Barnett Shale formation is the place where George Mitchell nursed his vision of combining horizontal drilling with hydraulic fracturing to release vast quantities of oil and gas from “tight” rocks.

The dirty little secret known to many inside the energy industry and few outside of the industry is that less than 1/5th (18%) of the Department of Energy’s nearly $30 billion/year budget is spent on programs in the “Energy” category. The other 4/5ths is spent on programs in the categories of Nuclear Security (43%), Science (18%), and Environmental Management (19%) plus a hodgepodge of “Other (2%).”

As Texas Governor, Perry might have had the opportunity to learn something about other areas of DOE responsibility. Texas is the home of the Pantex Facility in Amarillo, an important part of the Department of Energy’s nuclear weapons complex.

However, unlike his immediate predecessors, Perry isn’t a scientist. He has little experience with the national laboratories that trace their existence to the Manhattan Project and the Atomic Energy Commission that was created after the explosive end of World War II.

[...]

http://www.theenergycollective.com/r...-energy-leader
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Amazing how detailed evaluations of performance are developed before a subject takes office.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

A guy admitting he was wrong and showing he is willing to learn.
        I don't see the negative in that.
        "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
        validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
        "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Two-thirds of the agency’s annual $30 billion budget is devoted to maintaining, refurbishing and keeping safe the nation’s nuclear stockpile; thwarting nuclear proliferation; cleaning up and rebuilding an aging constellation of nuclear production facilities; and overseeing national laboratories that are considered the crown jewels of government science.
          I never knew that before but it makes sense since the DoE is the successor to the Atomic Energy Commission.

Comment

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-env...imate-research

Concerning the 'questionnaire' sent out asking about climate research, the one everyone was yelling about:

Energy Secretary nominee Rick Perry on Thursday repudiated a Trump transition team questionnaire sent to the Energy Department seeking names of employees involved in climate research.

“That went out before I was ever selected to be the nominee,” he said.

I didn’t approve it. I don’t approve of it. I don’t need that information. I don’t want that information. That is not how I manage.
            Point in his favor in my book.

Sorry Doc.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...60&postcount=7
            “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
            “To talk of many things:
            Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
            Of cabbages—and kings—
            And why the sea is boiling hot—
            And whether pigs have wings.”
            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

I'll be happy if he starts (along with Trump) by eliminating Obama's Green Energy initiatives. Bye, bye useless home solar. Bye, bye useless battery cars. Bye, bye wind farms.

Let's do what works, not what's politically correct or fashionable with the Left since the Left has a near 100% track record of being WRONG!

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                http://thehill.com/policy/energy-env...imate-research

Concerning the 'questionnaire' sent out asking about climate research, the one everyone was yelling about:

Point in his favor in my book.

Sorry Doc.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...60&postcount=7
                If I remember correctly, they actually disavowed that questionnaire prior to naming Perry as the nominee.

They'll just zero-out the DOE's budget for climate "science," just like they'll do with NASA.

NOAA and the USGS are the only two government agencies that should be spending any money on climate "science."
                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  I'll be happy if he starts (along with Trump) by eliminating Obama's Green Energy initiatives. Bye, bye useless home solar. Bye, bye useless battery cars. Bye, bye wind farms.

Let's do what works, not what's politically correct or fashionable with the Left since the Left has a near 100% track record of being WRONG!
                  Perry will likely do what works... Wind works well where there is an adequate wind resource and he economics make sense. I think you'll see less subsidies going to wind and solar and more to nuclear power.

But, ultimately, apart from providing really cool statistics (the EIA), the Dept. of Energy has very little to do with energy...

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                    I never knew that before but it makes sense since the DoE is the successor to the Atomic Energy Commission.
                    The DOE was mostly just a relabeling of the remnants of the defunct Atomic Energy Commission.

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                      He is an Aggie after all...

Comment

The conclusion of the EC article...
                        Conclusion: Perry Will Make Both Friends And Enemies As He Works To Develop Energy Strengths

Not surprisingly, there are detractors who mistakenly focus on a widely known, but unrepresentative televised episode when Governor Perry had a “senior moment.” He was participating in a presidential debate in November 2011 and attempting to list the three agencies of the federal government that he thought could be eliminated based on his experiences with them as Governor. He couldn’t recall that the Department of Energy was on his normal stump speech list.

The video clip of that embarrassing episode provides a better understanding of the episode than the snide summaries and references found elsewhere. Few people above the age of 40 have never had the experience of being in the middle of a talk or a conversation and drawing a complete blank on a word or phrase they know very well.They might have even temporarily blanked out on the name of good friends known for years [I do this all the time]. That behavior doesn’t indicate that someone is dimwitted, or a dufus, or experiencing the early onset of Alzheimer’s disease. It’s not an uncommon occurrence among busy people of a certain age, especially if they are sleep-deprived, stressed, nervous or distracted.

Another canard that’s being tossed around is that it isn’t appropriate to choose a person who once advocated for elimination of the Department of Energy as its appointed leader. For close observers of the way that the agency has performed its supposed focus of improving America’s energy supply, it’s not such a bad choice. Maybe an experienced politician who clearly recognizes the importance and value of energy production more than the basic science of particle physics can energize the agency that is supposed to help empower the country.

As a supporter of nuclear energy, natural gas, wind and carbon capture and utilization, Perry might help reduce CO2 emissions more effectively than someone whose major qualification is that they have faith in the summary conclusions of 97% of a sample of peer reviewed papers on climate science [in the opinion of a group of bloggers]. Just because someone asks questions about actions, extent, urgency and special interests does not mean they deny that human CO2 production is changing the Earth’s climate in some way.

Note: A version of the above was first published on Forbes.com with the headline Special Interests Worried Rick Perry’s DOE Might Focus On Creating Sustainable U.S. Energy Policy. It is reprinted here with permission.

The post Rick Perry might convert DOE into an ENERGY leader appeared first on Atomic Insights.

Comment

Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
                          Perry is a good man, he was our Governor here for fifteen years and did a great job, he will be just fine in his new job.
                          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                            Perry is a good man, he was our Governor here for fifteen years and did a great job, he will be just fine in his new job.
                            There was a saying that Perry never won a debate or lost an election...

Perry was the best governor since I moved here in 1981. The next closest was George W. Bush... But I think Perry was quite a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                              I have no doubts.

Especially since the guy predicting his failure was smugly certain that the Hillabeast would win...
                              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X