Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EPA Admin. Scott Pruitt Confirmation Hearing... Should be very entertaining!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPA Admin. Scott Pruitt Confirmation Hearing... Should be very entertaining!

Heated Exchanges Likely at Pruitt's EPA Hearing

By Bill Murray
    January 18, 2017

Verbal fireworks are expected in the Capitol during Wednesday’s confirmation hearing for Scott Pruitt, Donald Trump’s nominee to run the Environmental Protection Agency.

Few areas of the government deal with issues as polarizing as environmental policy, and Pruitt’s record as one of the most outspoken critics of President Obama’s environmental plans is expected to be questioned aggressively by many Democratic members of the Senate’s Environment and Public Works Committee.

[...]

The panel includes 10 Democrats and tends to attract members who are more partisan than those on other committees. Expect harsh rhetoric from Sens. Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island, both of whom view climate change as a major threat to Americans.

“When members join these committees, they chose … and are at times chosen because they have strong views,” said Kevin Book, a principal with the energy-focused public policy firm ClearView Energy Partners. Sanders and Whitehouse are likely “going to argue that Pruitt cannot responsibly administer the EPA if he doesn’t believe in what the EPA does.”

In Pruitt’s corner will be more than 90 percent of the Republican caucus, as well as most of Trump’s inner circle, who are seen as skeptical of climate change and have been agitating for more than two decades to lessen the scope of federal environmental oversight.

[...]

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...ng_132815.html

The hearing will be on C-SPAN 2 at 10:00 AM EST.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

I've lost hope that the hearings would be filled with fireworks especially after yesterdays snooze-fest for Education Secretary. 1 minute of complaining about not having another round to ask questions. 2 minutes of being extremely concerned about number #2 pencil accidents. 1 minute question and answer. Then the last minute complain about not having enough time for questions.

Comment

The [email protected] on the committee have been very entertaining...
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
        The [email protected] on the committee have been very entertaining...
        -----------------
        I will pull it up on cspan site, thanks

Comment

This is typical of their ignorance and antics...
          "Whenever the debate on climate science comes up, I think of two climatologist scientists I met years ago from my alma mater of Ohio State University, Dr. Lonnie Thompson and his wife Dr. Ellen Mosley-Thompson. For decades, this husband-wife duo has been climbing some of the tallest mountains in the world to collect ice core samples. These ice samples date back hundreds of thousands of years and contain valuable data about what was in the atmosphere and what the climate was like at the time. Their research on these ice core samples has found that there is a direct correlation between the levels of carbon dioxide in our air and warmer temperatures.

"Over the last century, humans have dramatically increased the levels of carbon dioxide in the air through the burning of fossil fuels. As a result – we have seen some of the hottest years to date. Having said that, we don't have to go the highest mountains in the world to see the impacts of climate change, we can find impacts in my own state of Delaware.

"When I am in Sussex County, Delaware, I like to drive out to the Delaware Bay. I usually head east, and I like to go through Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge. Years ago, I would come across a parking lot where people could walk, fish, swim or go crabbing. Today, that parking lot is entirely underwater. If you look slightly out in the water- to the left of the flooded parking lot- there lays a World War II bunker, once 300 meters from the shoreline and now almost completely submerged by the rising tides.

[...]

http://www.carper.senate.gov/public/...2-c74d44dc17c5

Carper is the ranking Democrat on the committee. He recited this bit in his opening statement...

"When I am in Sussex County, Delaware, I like to drive out to the Delaware Bay. I usually head east, and I like to go through Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge. Years ago, I would come across a parking lot where people could walk, fish, swim or go crabbing. Today, that parking lot is entirely underwater. If you look slightly out in the water- to the left of the flooded parking lot- there lays a World War II bunker, once 300 meters from the shoreline and now almost completely submerged by the rising tides."

I compared 1944 and 1997 USGS topo maps for this area and the shoreline barely moved over the 53 years between the maps.

This bit is just stupid:

For decades, this husband-wife duo has been climbing some of the tallest mountains in the world to collect ice core samples. These ice samples date back hundreds of thousands of years and contain valuable data about what was in the atmosphere and what the climate was like at the time.

Ice cores from the Antarctic ice sheet "date back hundreds of thousands of years." Ice cores from mountain glaciers only date back less than ten thousand years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
            -----------------
            I will pull it up on cspan site, thanks
            One idiot just blamed Pruitt for asthma...

Comment

The moron Ed Markey (D-MA) just demanded that Pruitt preemptively recuse himself from all litigation and rule-making related to the environment...

Comment

The moron Ed Markey (D-MA) just demanded that Pruitt preemptively recuse himself from all litigation and rule-making related to the environment...
                -----------that one had me laughing also. Can always count on Markey for impassioned drivel, he still acts like a freshman congressman. The Price hearing is a little more heated though. Can always count on Pocahantas Warren for an overly dramatic question session. Yet not even Pocahantas can match the theatrics of that dingbat from New York performance. I haven't seen such compelling acting since Ace Ventura squirted out of that rhino's ass in Pet Detective 2
                Last edited by Mystikeye; 18 Jan 17, 12:33.

Comment

"Whenever the debate on climate science comes up, I think of two climatologist scientists I met years ago from my alma mater of Ohio State University, Dr. Lonnie Thompson and his wife Dr. Ellen Mosley-Thompson. For decades, this husband-wife duo has been climbing some of the tallest mountains in the world to collect ice core samples. These ice samples date back hundreds of thousands of years and contain valuable data about what was in the atmosphere and what the climate was like at the time. Their research on these ice core samples has found that there is a direct correlation between the levels of carbon dioxide in our air and warmer temperatures.

"Over the last century, humans have dramatically increased the levels of carbon dioxide in the air through the burning of fossil fuels. As a result – we have seen some of the hottest years to date. Having said that, we don't have to go the highest mountains in the world to see the impacts of climate change, we can find impacts in my own state of Delaware.

"When I am in Sussex County, Delaware, I like to drive out to the Delaware Bay. I usually head east, and I like to go through Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge. Years ago, I would come across a parking lot where people could walk, fish, swim or go crabbing. Today, that parking lot is entirely underwater. If you look slightly out in the water- to the left of the flooded parking lot- there lays a World War II bunker, once 300 meters from the shoreline and now almost completely submerged by the rising tides.

[...]

Carper is the ranking Democrat on the committee. He recited this bit in his opening statement...

"When I am in Sussex County, Delaware, I like to drive out to the Delaware Bay. I usually head east, and I like to go through Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge. Years ago, I would come across a parking lot where people could walk, fish, swim or go crabbing. Today, that parking lot is entirely underwater. If you look slightly out in the water- to the left of the flooded parking lot- there lays a World War II bunker, once 300 meters from the shoreline and now almost completely submerged by the rising tides."

I compared 1944 and 1997 USGS topo maps for this area and the shoreline barely moved over the 53 years between the maps.

This bit is just stupid:

For decades, this husband-wife duo has been climbing some of the tallest mountains in the world to collect ice core samples. These ice samples date back hundreds of thousands of years and contain valuable data about what was in the atmosphere and what the climate was like at the time.

Ice cores from the Antarctic ice sheet "date back hundreds of thousands of years." Ice cores from mountain glaciers only date back less than ten thousand years.
                  Dave, I would not trust government maps much. I used to go down to Cameron Parish to visit the beaches. The shoreline is now close to the coastal highway. Erosion has also devastated the marshes in South Louisiana. Recently they were showing programs on a marsh community that had to move because the marsh had turned into water. Once the Gulf breaks through the current beaches in Cameron, the interior marsh will wash away and we will have another Barrier Island like Padre Island.

The only way to reverse the damage to South Louisiana Marshes is to allow the Mississippi to flood the areas that are now leveed. Back during the Civil War, the lower Atchafalaya River was a vast lake before it reached the Gulf at Morgan City. Humans changed the flow of the Mississippi into the Atchafalaya and the lake has silted up and a nice size delta has formed into the Gulf.

Instead of looking at a map, try driving down to Buras, Louisiana and see from the Levee Road just how close the Gulf is now. Holly Beach in Cameron used to have vacation homes on the beach. Now the Vacation Homes are hugely expensive and located North of the highway. Fools...

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                    Dave, I would not trust government maps much. I used to go down to Cameron Parish to visit the beaches. The shoreline is now close to the coastal highway. Erosion has also devastated the marshes in South Louisiana. Recently they were showing programs on a marsh community that had to move because the marsh had turned into water. Once the Gulf breaks through the current beaches in Cameron, the interior marsh will wash away and we will have another Barrier Island like Padre Island.

The only way to reverse the damage to South Louisiana Marshes is to allow the Mississippi to flood the areas that are now leveed. Back during the Civil War, the lower Atchafalaya River was a vast lake before it reached the Gulf at Morgan City. Humans changed the flow of the Mississippi into the Atchafalaya and the lake has silted up and a nice size delta has formed into the Gulf.

Instead of looking at a map, try driving down to Buras, Louisiana and see from the Levee Road just how close the Gulf is now. Holly Beach in Cameron used to have vacation homes on the beach. Now the Vacation Homes are hugely expensive and located North of the highway. Fools...

Pruitt
                    USGS topo maps are the best maps available. Although they are often out of date. When I first started putting together seismic programs in East Texas back in the early 1980's, the first thing I would do is to plot the seismic line on a topo map to ensure that there were no geographic obstacles. I would then send the map over to the seismic contractor in Tyler. Almost every time, I'd get a call in a few days, "Dave... Your seismic line is in a lake." Now, there wasn't a lake on the topo map because they hadn't dammed up the creek and built a lake when the map was made. The most recent topo maps in East Texas at that time were last updated in the early 1970's.

The maps were accurate when they were last updated. They USGS only updates them about once every 10 years or so.

Areas with rapidly shifting barrier islands, like Louisiana, can change a lot between map updates and much of Louisiana is at sea level. The first time I ever went to Port Fourchon, I had a couple of hours to kill, so I drove over to Grand Isle. That's the first time I ever felt I had to look up from the beach to sea the ocean...

Louisiana and its particular battle with shifting barrier islands and the deprivation of sediment due to flood control measures isn't relevant to Carper's easily disproved nonsense about the Delaware coastline. The area to which he is referring has been flood-prone for hundreds of years. The bunker which he claims was flooded by sea level rise was probably the victim of a slowly shifting barrier island. There's a Civil War artillery position at Fort Pickens, Pensacola FL, that is now on a different island than the rest of the fort due to barrier island shifting.

Comment

[...]

This bit is just stupid:

It's simply beach erosion. There's a similar bunker across the bay in Cape May, NJ. And the same thing happened to it. It's back on dry land however, after efforts to reverse the erosion.

Around the "corner", in Wildwood, NJ, the beach is growing naturally.
                      Last edited by Gixxer86g; 19 Jan 17, 05:40.
                      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

The way the Dem's are having hissy fits why don't they just boycott Congress while they are at it. Basically they are inconsequential anyhoo.
                        Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Originally posted by FTCS View Post
                          The way the Dem's are having hissy fits why don't they just boycott Congress while they are at it. Basically they are inconsequential anyhoo.
                          That would be a win-win.
                          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X