Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inauguration changing of the Guard

And

The commanding general of the D.C. National Guard, Maj. Gen. Errol Schwartz, has been ordered to leave his post on Inauguration Day after he spent months preparing for the event.

Schwartz told The Washington Post*that the order is effective Jan. 20, 12:01 p.m., which is when President-elect Donald Trump will be sworn into office.

He told the Post that “the timing is extremely unusual,” given that the commanding general is tasked with overseeing military operations, including air support, during the inauguration.

“My troops will be on the street,” Schwartz told the newspaper, adding that he will “see them off but ... won’t be able to welcome them back to the armory.”

Schwartz also said that he did not know why he has been asked to leave his post.

“I’m a presidential appointee, therefore the president [has] the power to remove me,” he said.

Immediately following his departure,*Schwartz will be replaced by an interim chief who will continue to oversee the military operations during the inauguration.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...-the-middle-of
    Last edited by Aber; 13 Jan 17, 12:30.

Strange... if it were a different party coming in and this happened we'd have all kinds of conspiracy theories going on.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

His bio:

http://dc.ng.mil/History/Command/CG/Pages/default.aspx
      “To talk of many things:
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

At the State level the Gov appoints the AG of the National Guard. In DC the President does that. I went through 5 changes of governor as a NG officer and never saw ONE that replaced the AG the minute he took office.

A quick replacement was about 1-3 months.

Very strange indeed.

In MO the NG also plans and coordinates the inaugural event, not what goes on but the behind the scenes jobs etc.

Very strange.
        “To talk of many things:
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Oh, I don't expect this to be the last of the strange things to be going on. What's the Old Guard" doing in this time frame?
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

If I read this correctly, current POTUS is ordering him to leave. So why not let him stay in place until the new Admin starts and let the next POTUS decide to keep him or not?

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
              If I read this correctly, current POTUS is ordering him to leave. So why not let him stay in place until the new Admin starts and let the next POTUS decide to keep him or not?
              Nope, Look at the effective time. President Trump is in office then. This is transition office stuff. President Obama appointed the man during first 6 months and has left him in place. I guarantee you he did not fire him.
              “To talk of many things:
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                Oh, I don't expect this to be the last of the strange things to be going on. What's the Old Guard" doing in this time frame?
                Old Guard is active duty, not involved in this. This MG is the head of the DC National Guard. They do support work for the event.
                “To talk of many things:
                Of cabbages—and kings—
                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                  Nope, Look at the effective time. President Trump is in office then. This is transition office stuff. President Obama appointed the man during first 6 months and has left him in place. I guarantee you he did not fire him.
                  But Trump has no authority over this general until then and the articles read as if it's BHO telling him to resign.

Comment

But Trump has no authority over this general until then and the articles read as if it's BHO telling him to resign.
                    At 12:01 O has no authority.
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                      At 12:01 O has no authority.
                      Correct also that is the same time Trump Transition official demanded all political appointee's that were ambassadors resign.
                      “To talk of many things:
                      Of cabbages—and kings—
                      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Part of the transition. If they want them gone DoD cuts the order.

This is just like the political appointee Ambassadors, they were told they were gone at 1201, just like the MG.
                        “To talk of many things:
                        Of cabbages—and kings—
                        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Trump can't issue any orders yet and Schwartz was appointed by Bush-41...
                          Schwartz, who was appointed to head the guard by President George W. Bush in 2008 and he maintained the position through President Obama’s two terms. He said his orders came from the Pentagon but that he doesn’t know who made the decision. It is unclear whether he is part of a larger class of federal workers who have been asked to leave their jobs as a new president takes office.

The Army and officials with Trump’s transition team did not immediately respond for comment.

[...]

Unlike in states, where the governor appoints the National Guard commander, in the District that duty falls to the president.

Schwartz said that he has not been told why he was asked to step down. “I’m a soldier,” he said, noting that he was following orders and has no regrets. “I’m a presidential appointee, therefore the president has the power to remove me.”

[...]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.86692e93cee2

Trump won't have the power to remove anyone until Jan. 20, 12:01 p.m.
                          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Part of the transition. If they want them gone DoD cuts the order.

This is just like the political appointee Ambassadors, they were told they were gone at 1201, just like the MG.
                            Obama told them to resign no later than Jan. 20, 2017. The Trump transistion team simply said that they would reject all requests for extensions of political ambassadors.
                            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                              Obama told them to resign no later than Jan. 20, 2017. The Trump transistion team simply said that they would reject all requests for extensions of political ambassadors.
                              So? The point is that the TRANSITION team wanted them gone. If you think this is different then you need to look again.
                              “To talk of many things:
                              Of cabbages—and kings—
                              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X