Rex Tillerson Hearing on C-Span

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
    Have to take him at his word until he or a spokesperson tell us otherwise. If not we just get to make up the meaning of everything put out by him and the administration. From other thread and the 'election hacking' discussion, words have meaning or they don't.
    Words have meanings and when someone says something that doesn't make sense, they have misspoken.

If the Trump administration adopts a policy to evict the ChiComs from their artificial islands, Tillerson will not have misspoken.

If the Trump administration adopts a policy to more aggressively protect freedom of navigation in the South China Sea, Tillerson will have misspoken.

I seriously doubt that the Trump team will answer any questions about this.

I don't think anyone in the Senate will ask Tillerson to clarify the South China Sea comment because they are more focused on his answers about ExxonMobil's lobbying efforts.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I would go so far as to say the comment was 100% deliberate. Part of the incoming admins ideas of setting a hard opening position with China in respect to trade talks. They doesn't understand that international relations is not a business deal. It will bite this admin hard.
      I think taking his a tough posture toward Red China was 100% deliberate. However, the comment didn't make any sense.
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
        I think taking his a tough posture toward Red China was 100% deliberate. However, the comment didn't make any sense.
        Neither did PE Trump calling into question the 'one China' policy, considering that is also the official policy of Taiwan also.

Both subjects are about as close as you can't get to non-negotiable with China.
        “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
        “To talk of many things:
        Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        And why the sea is boiling hot—
        And whether pigs have wings.”
        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Words have meanings and when someone says something that doesn't make sense, they have misspoken.

If the Trump administration adopts a policy to evict the ChiComs from their artificial islands, Tillerson will not have misspoken.

If the Trump administration adopts a policy to more aggressively protect freedom of navigation in the South China Sea, Tillerson will have misspoken.

I seriously doubt that the Trump team will answer any questions about this.

I don't think anyone in the Senate will ask Tillerson to clarify the South China Sea comment because they are more focused on his answers about ExxonMobil's lobbying efforts.
          That is an assumption on your part.

Yes, the transistion group should clarify this if he did not mean that. If you don't think this does not concern China, official 'oh we are not worried about this' FM statements not withstanding, you're being silly.
          “To talk of many things:
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

It took an Australian news paper to find this for me. A tweet last month from PE Trump.

http://www.afr.com/news/policy/defen...0170110-gtpaic

"Did China ask us if it was OK … to build a massive military complex in the middle of the South China Sea? I don't think so!"
            Seems to me to be less of a misspoken comment.
            “To talk of many things:
            Of cabbages—and kings—
            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

That is an assumption on your part.

Yes, the transistion group should clarify this if he did not mean that. If you don't think this does not concern China, official 'oh we are not worried about this' FM statements not withstanding, you're being silly.
              The comment doesn't make any sense. The PCA ruling didn't invalidate Red China's claims to the rocks and reefs upon which they built the artificial islands and we have no realistic way to evict them.

The transition will probably just ignore this unless the Senate Foreign Relations Committee asks for clarification. No one, not even Red China, is taking it literally.

The area in which the Committee is likely to seek clarification is Tillerson's answers about ExxonMobil lobbying efforts, particularly as they apply to the sanctions against Russia.

Comment

It took an Australian news paper to find this for me. A tweet last month from PE Trump.

http://www.afr.com/news/policy/defen...0170110-gtpaic

Seems to me to be less of a misspoken comment.
                That Tweet was all over the news when he made it...
                “Did China ask us if it was OK to devalue their currency (making it hard for our companies to compete), heavily tax our products going into their country (the U.S. doesn’t tax them) or to build a massive military complex in the middle of the South China Sea? I don’t think so!” Trump tweeted.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...outh-china-sea

As far as I know, Red China didn't ask us or anyone else if it was OK " to build a massive military complex in the middle of the South China Sea." This doesn't equate to a policy of evicting the ChiComs from their artificial islands.

Comment

That Tweet was all over the news when he made it...
                  “Did China ask us if it was OK to devalue their currency (making it hard for our companies to compete), heavily tax our products going into their country (the U.S. doesn’t tax them) or to build a massive military complex in the middle of the South China Sea? I don’t think so!” Trump tweeted.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...outh-china-sea

As far as I know, Red China didn't ask us or anyone else if it was OK " to build a massive military complex in the middle of the South China Sea." This doesn't equate to a policy of evicting the ChiComs from their artificial islands.
                  Combined with yesterdays comment, his comments on the One China policy, this tweet... it sets the tone.

Do I think he will try to eject them, no. Do I think it's a fool hearty attempt at 'power' negotiations, yup. PE Trump see's everything in the light of monetary business deals, right now he can't help but to do so. He needs to relearn it very quickly.
                  “To talk of many things:
                  Of cabbages—and kings—
                  ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Combined with yesterdays comment, his comments on the One China policy, this tweet... it sets the tone.

Do I think he will try to eject them, no. Do I think it's a fool hearty attempt at 'power' negotiations, yup. PE Trump see's everything in the light of monetary business deals, right now he can't help but to do so. He needs to relearn it very quickly.
                    They're definitely setting the tone and it's the harshest tone toward Red China since the 1960's.

We're stuck with the One China policy. However, we are not stuck with Red China's version of it.

Comment

McCain and Graham will vote in favor of Tillerson for State Dept.

By Marisa Schultz January 23, 2017

Two vocal Senate skeptics threw their support behind Rex Tillerson on Sunday, clearing a path for his confirmation as secretary of state.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said Sunday he’ll back Tillerson, the former ExxonMobil Corp. CEO, as did Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC). Both had voiced concerns over Tillerson’s business ties to Russia and Vladimir Putin, but said they’ll give the new president the benefit of the doubt.

“I will be voting in favor of his nomination,” McCain told ABC’s “This Week,” adding “this wasn’t an easy call.”

Graham told CBS’ “Face the Nation” Tillerson convinced him he’ll value foreign aid. “He said that when America doesn’t lead, other people will,” Graham said. “And the vacuum is always filled by bad actors.”

There’s a possibility that Tillerson doesn’t pass out of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Monday during its confirmation vote if Florida Sen. Marco Rubio fails to deliver the GOP its one-vote majority. But leadership has already signaled the full Senate would still vote for Tillerson, who is expected to have enough votes now that Graham and McCain are on board.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell believes the Democratic resistance to many other President Trump picks won’t go anywhere and the Senate will be able to confirm all the nominees.

[...]

http://nypost.com/2017/01/23/mccain-...or-state-dept/

Comment

It's a "done deal"... Rubio will support Tillerson, removing confirmation hurdle

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X