Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rex Tillerson Hearing on C-Span

https://www.c-span.org/video/?421335...on-hearing&vod

Former Sen. Sam Nunn (D-GA) and former Sec. Def. Robert Gates just gave solid endorsements as did Texas Sen's Cornyn and Cruz.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Tillerson looks really good so far. As someone that likes a good ol fight in the hearings its pretty tame. I remember the days when the Democrats had some powerful senators back in the 80's and 90's and they played hardball. These guys are a bunch of wet cardboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
      Tillerson looks really good so far. As someone that likes a good ol fight in the hearings its pretty tame. I remember the days when the Democrats had some powerful senators back in the 80's and 90's and they played hardball. These guys are a bunch of wet cardboard.
      The toughest questioner so far was Marco Rubio. He was very frustrated that Tillerson refused to convict Putin of war crimes based on media reports. Corker clarified this by asking Tillerson, "If the media allegations are proven, would these things be war crimes." Tillerson said, "yes."

I think some Democrats are leaning toward supporting him, like Jeanne Shaheen of NH. Tillerson's knowlege of foreign aid programs was very impressive.
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Tim Kaine (D-VA) is a total fracking moron. His questions have been several orders of magnitude dumber than any of the questions from the rest of the Democrats combined.

He's now babbling about the #ExxonKnew conspiracy theory...

Tillerson effectively told the clown to go to hell...

Comment

On NATO: "The Article V commitment is inviolable and the United States is going stand by that commitment."

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
            I caught some of the hearing and I was pleasantly surprised to see that Rubio was holding Tillerson's feet to the fire in regards to Putin. I was less than impressed with Tillerson's unwillingness to define Russian actions in Syria and Chechnya as war crimes or to refer to Putin as a war criminal for ordering those actions. I felt that Tillerson was refreshingly candid at times as in regards to the blatant Russian land grabs in Georgia, the Ukraine and the Crimea; he referred to those as actions outside of international norms. All in all, I would have to say that Tillerson is every bit as much a politician as his interlocutors. I am still 50/50 on whether or not he would be a good Sec State, but I can think of worst choices.
            Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
            Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
              On NATO: "The Article V commitment is inviolable and the United States is going stand by that commitment."
              Unfortunately Art V simply states that each member state will respond as they deem appropriate. The response could be a complaint to the UN.

Leaves a lot of wiggle room for a President.
              “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
              “To talk of many things:
              Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              And why the sea is boiling hot—
              And whether pigs have wings.”
              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                I caught some of the hearing and I was pleasantly surprised to see that Rubio was holding Tillerson's feet to the fire in regards to Putin. I was less than impressed with Tillerson's unwillingness to define Russian actions in Syria and Chechnya as war crimes or to refer to Putin as a war criminal for ordering those actions. I felt that Tillerson was refreshingly candid at times as in regards to the blatant Russian land grabs in Georgia, the Ukraine and the Crimea; he referred to those as actions outside of international norms. All in all, I would have to say that Tillerson is every bit as much a politician as his interlocutors. I am still 50/50 on whether or not he would be a good Sec State, but I can think of worst choices.
                This is from his Q&A with Menendez...
                DO YOU BELIEVE THE ACTIONS CONSTITUTE WAR CRIMES?

>> AGAIN, SENATOR, I DON'T HAVE SUFFICIENT INFORMATION TO MAKE THAT TYPE OF A SERIOUS CONCLUSION. COMING TO THAT CONCLUSION IS GOING TO REQUIRE ME TO HAVE ADDITIONAL SPECIFIC FACTS.

[...]

I WOULD NOT WANT TO RELY SOLELY ON WHAT WAS REPORTED IN THE PUBLIC REALM. I WANT CONFIRMATION FROM AGENCIES ABLE TO PRESENT ME WITH FACTS.

When asked if such confirmation was provided, would these be war crimes? His answer was yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                  Unfortunately Art V simply states that each member state will respond as they deem appropriate. The response could be a complaint to the UN.

Leaves a lot of wiggle room for a President.
                  Article 5

The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

Any such armed attack and all measures taken as a result thereof shall immediately be reported to the Security Council. Such measures shall be terminated when the Security Council has taken the measures necessary to restore and maintain international peace and security.

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/of...exts_17120.htm

Ed Markey is up now... He has the capacity to out-stupid Kaine...

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                    Article 5

The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

Any such armed attack and all measures taken as a result thereof shall immediately be reported to the Security Council. Such measures shall be terminated when the Security Council has taken the measures necessary to restore and maintain international peace and security.

Ed Markey is up now... He has the capacity to out-stupid Kaine...
                    Yes, as I stated.
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Markey is babbling about #ExxonKnew...

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                        Yes, as I stated.
                        "Such action as it deems necessary... to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area"... So long as the discretion serves "to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area," there's wiggle room...
                        Article 5

Comment

At one time I didn't that that Rubio wasn't that bad a guy and maybe could be a respectable President. However, that changed today, that little pissant came across as a petulant child.
                          That type of demeanor and attitude at the wrong time could cause a serious problem.
                          Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

His biggetest mistake yesterday, don't know if it was off the cuff answer or what but it was a big one that everyone missed:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hina-sea-isles

“We’re going to have to send China a clear signal that first the island-building stops and second your access to those islands is also not going to be allowed,” he said when asked whether he would support a more aggressive posture in the South China Sea. He compared China’s actions to those of Russia in the Crimea.
                            We read all these comments on how President Obama and if she'd won a 'President' Clinton would drive us to a war with Russia. Same people are totally ignoring PE Trumps trashing relations with China.

The comment he made above is absolutely idiotic. Unless you want a full blown shooting war the statement has no chance what so ever of being enforced.

Trump Admin's first 'Syria' style red line.

Foolish.
                            “To talk of many things:
                            Of cabbages—and kings—
                            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

I think he misspoke.

The primary problem is Red China's use of those artificial islands to create unlawful EEZ claims and deny other nations' access to those waters. The PCA ruled Red China's actions to be illegal under the UNCLS.

I'm surprised Cory Gardner or a subsequent questioner didn't ask for clarification of that comment.

Although, Red China's actions in the South China Sea are a far greater threat to US national security than anything Russia is doing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X