Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.R.5181 - Countering Foreign Propaganda and Disinformation Act of 2016

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ext?format=xml

With the amount of disinformation coming from the government and media I don't think this is really our highest priority.

Fake News is simply not a problem compared to the lack of transparency in our government. It also is not much of a problem compared to the incompetent security employed by people like Clinton. It is pretty obvious that any foreign power can gain access to whatever information they want and the only people without access is the general population.

The fake news we need to worry about comes from our own government.
    We hunt the hunters

My concerns with the bill is a step toward censorship. The line between foreign and domestic becomes very blurred when it comes to digital communications. Distinguishing information and disinformation can be subjective. And once you place a certain level of security risk based on that information, resolution becomes a very dark and dangerous necessity. Are we going to conduct drone strikes, censor certain people, deny them access to critical services (for example cut their access to the internet)?

I think the public should be made aware of efforts by foreign powers to influence our election and opinion. Going beyond that could be censorship, which can be counterproductive.

I personally believe Russia did attempt to influence the election. And one of the reasons I don't support Trump is because he like he's bed with Putin. However, I don't think the Russian effort was effective. Hillary Clinton survived the email hacks. She was doing fine until the final three weeks. Her campaign lost momentum, and didn't try to recover. The FBI announcement didn't help, but she was in trouble before then. Hillary retreated to LA while Trump campaigned like a man who was going out on his shield as they say in boxing. He stayed off of social media and relied on rallies to connect to voters.

Disinformation is just something we're going to evolve to deal with. You really can't just trust one source. You have to ask questions and search for answers. Censorship is a dangerous course that could undermine our freedom and ability to obtain the truth.
    "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
      https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ext?format=xml

With the amount of disinformation coming from the government and media I don't think this is really our highest priority.

Fake News is simply not a problem compared to the lack of transparency in our government. It also is not much of a problem compared to the incompetent security employed by people like Clinton. It is pretty obvious that any foreign power can gain access to whatever information they want and the only people without access is the general population.

The fake news we need to worry about comes from our own government.
      Agree completely.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh View Post
        I think the public should be made aware of efforts by foreign powers to influence our election and opinion. Going beyond that could be censorship, which can be counterproductive.....
        Aw, c'mon now, I thought you guys were into all this net-neutrality and all that stuff.
        Don't you want to strike while the iron is hot?

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
          Aw, c'mon now, I thought you guys were into all this net-neutrality and all that stuff.
          Strike who, exactly? Our own government?
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Strike who, exactly? Our own government?
            No.... maybe I should stop with the sarcasm.
            But you have to admit, this is the first time I have ever seem the Democrats having any problem with a disinformation campaign coming from Russia, or anywhere else overseas.
            Why not have fun with it?

Comment

But you have to admit, this is the first time I have ever seem the Democrats having any problem with a disinformation campaign coming from Russia, or anywhere else overseas.
              This is true.

I used the analogy on another thread. If you swim in shark infested waters and get attacked, is it really the shark's fault for being a shark?

This media firestorm about the Russians is just a smokescreen.

I mean, Podesta's password was [email protected]!!!! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

I think this is the first time some Democrats feel disinformation cost them a major election. And I think one can make the argument that this is the first time some Republicans have taken foreign interference in our election so lightly. I recall back in 2008 some on the right having a cow because they thought Great Britain's open support for Obama was interfering with our sovereign election.

At the end of the day, for some Democrats and Republicans, it comes down if they won or lost.

I support net-neutrality to some extent, but don't see the connection. I might be short-sighted.

I really don't see anyone to strike immediately. I certainly think we should invest in disrupting cyber warfare efforts by adversaries. However, I am concerned about domestic spying and censorship.
                "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

I think this is the first time some Democrats feel disinformation cost them a major election. And I think one can make the argument that this is the first time some Republicans have taken foreign interference in our election so lightly. I recall back in 2008 some on the right having a cow because they thought Great Britain's open support for Obama was interfering with our sovereign election.

At the end of the day, for some Democrats and Republicans, it comes down if they won or lost.
                  Republicans are not taking it very seriously because -
                  1) the more short-sighted ones don't care, they won
                  2) it is hilarious to see foriegn intervention working against Dems, for once.
                  3) there isn't anything that indicates that the Russians had any effect on any votes, cast or counted. The entire case amounts to butthurt over some sort of PR campaign... pure image.

I support net-neutrality to some extent, but don't see the connection. I might be short-sighted.
                  Net Neutrality is another name for Govt control over the internet, and the Govt wants it for the same base and evil reasons that North Korea likes to control what their people know and undertand.
                  It is the kind of garbage that people come up with when their argument is being effectively countered, and their agenda is in danger.

I really don't see anyone to strike immediately. I certainly think we should invest in disrupting cyber warfare efforts by adversaries. However, I am concerned about domestic spying and censorship.
                  I don't see it EVER actually happening, because the Left is all about Globalism, anti-Nation (whatever nation they live is is bad and needs to be torn down) and they use a distant and ephemeral "Global opinion" to justify their agenda and tactics.
                  However, it would be fun to get their help countering all of this.
                  It may be the only help our sovereignty and independence can ever get from them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X