Another solid job report for Dec with 2016 adding over 2 million jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another solid job report for Dec with 2016 adding over 2 million jobs

This year ended with the longest string of +2 million jobs per year since Bill Clinton left office in 1999.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ost-since-2009

The latest payrolls tally brought the advance for 2016 to 2.16 million, after a gain of about 2.7 million in 2015. The streak of gains above 2 million is the longest since 1999, when Bill Clinton was president.
    I'm eagerly awaiting the Jan report in Feb and the Feb report in March. Those reports should be using the new standard that the incoming Trump Admin talked about during the campaign. The 'REAL' unemployment rate. Can't wait to see those on this board welcoming that figure and discussing it with them.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ay-be-42-perc/

2015:

"The number isn't reflective," he said. "I've seen numbers of 24 percent -- I actually saw a number of 42 percent unemployment. Forty-two percent." He continued, "5.3 percent unemployment -- that is the biggest joke there is in this country. … The unemployment rate is probably 20 percent, but I will tell you, you have some great economists that will tell you it's a 30, 32. And the highest I've heard so far is 42 percent."
    2016:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid..._politics.html

1 in 5 American households do not have a single member in the labor force. These are the real unemployment numbers – the five percent figure is one of the biggest hoaxes in modern American politics.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

An outstanding 8 years...

Series title: (Seas) Labor Force Participation Rate
    https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000

Unpresidented since the days of Jimmy Carter...

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Another example of snowflakes crying victory because they put a shovel-full of dirt into the hole they dug.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post

One area and one area only. Must be lonely....... And then you can't even show the reasons for it....
        “To talk of many things:
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Can't wait to see the next report. Unemployment should be announced at about 92 million. Unless the PE lied to us.
          “To talk of many things:
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
            One area and one area only. Must be lonely....... And then you can't even show the reasons for it....
            Did the nation suddenly and rapidly age over the last 8 years?

The data say: No.

http://cepr.net/blogs/cepr-blog/decl...a-weak-economy
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Did the nation suddenly and rapidly age over the last 8 years?

The data say: No.

http://cepr.net/blogs/cepr-blog/decl...a-weak-economy
              You assume that means they did not retire.

Once again, you pick one area out of many and try to make it the focus. Fact is gains during this admin beat everything you and the right predicted. You can't hide that fact.
              “To talk of many things:
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                You assume that means they did not retire.
                The age-adjusted labor force participation rate doesn't assume anything.

Originally posted by Combat Engineer
                Once again, you pick one area out of many and try to make it the focus. Fact is gains during this admin beat everything you and the right predicted. You can't hide that fact.
                I never made any predictions about how many jobs would be added. The fact remains that this has been the weakest economic recovery since the end of World War II.

2 million jobs per year barely keeps up with population growth.

Comment

The higher rate of non-participation is in part due to Obama reintroducing easy means to avoid working and getting government welfare in some form instead:

Comment

Typical liberal activity: create a problem, then claim any sign of recovery is a great victory on their part.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      Typical liberal activity: create a problem, then claim any sign of recovery is a great victory on their part.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                        Not in the reality based world. Jobs started disappearing in Dec 2007. At the rate of around 200k a month. Sorry, you can't imagine it away.

Can't wait until the new reporting system goes into effect, can't you? Finally we'll see the real numbers... I bet you're all aflutter....
                        “To talk of many things:
                        Of cabbages—and kings—
                        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          The higher rate of non-participation is in part due to Obama reintroducing easy means to avoid working and getting government welfare in some form instead:

One area... burying the other areas.. noted. Will look forward to having you post on the President Trump admin using the real numbers. I'm sure you will, right????

I notice no one is picking that up in this thread. Loss of focus.
                          “To talk of many things:
                          Of cabbages—and kings—
                          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

My Holidaze gift from my employer was to be laid off. Some of the production workers preceeded me. My 'former' firm produces FRP pipe and tanks for energy and industrial users and this sector of the economy has been slowing for months(years). And the firm is one of the few remaining manufacturers in this area. I expect when I find a "new job" it will likely not have pay and benefits on a similar scale since the loonie leftists dominating the local guv'mint (and State) have been increasingly anti business, especially industrial/manufacturing.

What I've seen, in markets and economy of past few years, the OP is misleading as most of those "new jobs" likely don't provide the pay and benefits on scale with the ones lost earlier, which these would supposedly help to replace.
                            TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                              My Holidaze gift from my employer was to be laid off. Some of the production workers preceeded me. My 'former' firm produces FRP pipe and tanks for energy and industrial users and this sector of the economy has been slowing for months(years). And the firm is one of the few remaining manufacturers in this area. I expect when I find a "new job" it will likely not have pay and benefits on a similar scale since the loonie leftists dominating the local guv'mint (and State) have been increasingly anti business, especially industrial/manufacturing.

What I've seen, in markets and economy of past few years, the OP is misleading as most of those "new jobs" likely don't provide the pay and benefits on scale with the ones lost earlier, which these would supposedly help to replace.
                              You'd be wrong, but hey.

You're a strong supporter of the 'real unemployment' numbers. I bet you can't wait fore the real numbers to be used next month, rigth?
                              “To talk of many things:
                              Of cabbages—and kings—
                              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X