Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calif. Police Chief Defends Fake News Release

Who says fake news is a bad thing?

A California police chief is defending the decision to distribute "fake news" to the media during the investigation in multiple gang-involved murders.

Santa Maria Police Chief Ralph Martin said that the unusual tactic to announce nonfactual information was "an exceptionally rare event" and that he wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing in the future to protect lives, according to Noozhawk.

Issued on Feb. 12, a fake news release announced the arrests of Jose Marino Melendez and Jose Santos Melendez -- cousins of Modesto Melendez, who was fatally shot in a car in May 2015. Police claimed that the arrests followed a Feb. 9 call from a business and involved attempted identity fraud.

The fake news release stated that arrested the men and Immigration and Customs Enforcement took custody of them.

It was revealed last week -- as the case returned to Superior Court -- that police took the men into custody and wanted word to spread to the suspects targeting them.

On March 3, officials announced Operation Matador with the arrest of 15 people for conspiracy to commit murder and one suspect outstanding. The fake media release was not mentioned during the news conference. This summer, a Santa Barbara County criminal grand jury indicted 17 people -- several of which faced 10 counts of first-degree murder among 50 felony counts.
    http://www.officer.com/news/12284564...e-news-release
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

No matter what the justification, a media service exists to inform in as accurate a manner as possible.

If you fake the news for the so called purpose of 'good' then youll fake the news in the pursuit of the not so good, and justify it for the same reasoning.

Media are increasingly becoming their own worst enemy. When you cant trust a news service to report the obvious, you question anything they have to sy on the 'big' issues.

On the day Trmp was eleted, I saw 'fake' news around him in the australian media. This, and the fact that not a single broadcaster Im aware of could predict the result (AS WE DID) caused me to take the local producer for the ABC here to task. I asked him for a job as a journalist on the spot, and told him that "you people couldn't report a fart with only two people in the room"

These 'professionals' just dont give a damn WHAT we little people, "the Incorrigables" think, do they?

What happens when organised and institutionalized media services collapse because everyone has gone to cable? Or doen't bother to watch from sheer cynicism/indifference?

Where will all the advertising revenue be then?

Drusus
    My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
    GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
    Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Cambronne could say for sure, but last I checked this was legal. Press releases are not given under oath. So long as the intent was not to harm or libel someone, it is a legal tactic.

It doesn't get used very often; rarely, I would say.

But in this case it certainly worked.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        Cambronne could say for sure, but last I checked this was legal. Press releases are not given under oath. So long as the intent was not to harm or libel someone, it is a legal tactic.

It doesn't get used very often; rarely, I would say.

But in this case it certainly worked.
        All through WWII the press was manipulated to feed misinformation to opposition, British intelligence officers used radio news broadcasts to send coded messages to agents inside Axis held areas.
        Is there any doubt that our own presidents use daily briefings to sway public opinion?
        Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
          All through WWII the press was manipulated to feed misinformation to opposition, British intelligence officers used radio news broadcasts to send coded messages to agents inside Axis held areas.
          Is there any doubt that our own presidents use daily briefings to sway public opinion?
          True.

LE use is mainly to pass disinformation, as in this case. From the results, it would seem to me to be well worth it.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

This is my hometown police department. MS13 is causing a lot of problems here in Santa Maria. I have no problem with them using every tool they can to rid our city of these douche bags. Crime rate in Santa Maria has skyrocketed over the last decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
              No matter what the justification, a media service exists to inform in as accurate a manner as possible.

If you fake the news for the so called purpose of 'good' then youll fake the news in the pursuit of the not so good, and justify it for the same reasoning.

Media are increasingly becoming their own worst enemy. When you cant trust a news service to report the obvious, you question anything they have to sy on the 'big' issues.

On the day Trmp was eleted, I saw 'fake' news around him in the australian media. This, and the fact that not a single broadcaster Im aware of could predict the result (AS WE DID) caused me to take the local producer for the ABC here to task. I asked him for a job as a journalist on the spot, and told him that "you people couldn't report a fart with only two people in the room"

These 'professionals' just dont give a damn WHAT we little people, "the Incorrigables" think, do they?

What happens when organised and institutionalized media services collapse because everyone has gone to cable? Or doen't bother to watch from sheer cynicism/indifference?

Where will all the advertising revenue be then?

Drusus
              Exactly, and as we know from long and bitter experience, everything official is always done "for our own good", including such anti-Constitutional things as FISA and the Patriot Act.

One thng about your "cable" comment, Dru - it's the absolute same on the major satellite and cable providers - still the LSM and the same misinformation. They're everywhere!

Comment

Leaked information, true or false has been used by authorities throughout history, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
                On July 16, 1945 people living near White Sands, New Mexico heard an incredible explosion, a bright flash and rumbling that seemed to go on and on. The news reports told the nation that a ammunition supply depot had exploded.
                Of course we now know that it was Trinity, the first nuclear bomb, tested in the desert of New Mexico.

But according to some the press releases were the work of evil fabricators of misinformation.

That test and the work behind it saved millions of US servicemen lives.
                How valuable was that lie?

Comment

Bump

Comment

When dealing with serial or multiple murderers, LE agencies routinely release disinformation to trip up the suspect.

There's no rule or statute prohibiting lying to the press.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      When dealing with serial or multiple murderers, LE agencies routinely release disinformation to trip up the suspect.

There's no rule or statute prohibiting lying to the press.
                      That is eactly right, All presidents have press secretary's who have the responsibility to not only inform, but you sell idea's that may just be a little right just to see the effects on polls. a Sheriff could release a statement say hat some members of group of bad people saying they have are working with law enforcement to get better deals, then tell the bad guy you told everyone that he and his buddy talking in holpes of sellinhpg someone out.
                      Unless of course they wanted to get thier story out
                      Last edited by Urban hermit; 19 Dec 16, 09:29.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X