Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two interesting articles on Russian history and methods in Influencing the West

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Two interesting articles on Russian history and methods in Influencing the West

    Posting these seperately in order to stay out of the argument on if they did it or not and why etc. Very interesting articles no matter where you stand.

    Posted for you reading pleasure. Not going to defend anything in them. Read or not, your choice.

    This one is shorter and has less details.

    http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...lection-214524

    It wasn’t by hacking election machines or manipulating the results, as some have suggested. That would be too crude. The Kremlin’s canny operatives didn’t change votes; they won them, influencing voters to choose Russia’s preferred outcome by pushing stolen information at just the right time – through slanted, or outright false stories on social media. As we detail in our recent report, based on 30 months of closely watching Russia’s online influence operations and monitoring some 7,000 accounts, the Kremlin’s troll army swarmed the web to spread disinformation and undermine trust in the electoral system.
    This one has more meat on it. It was written pre-election:

    http://warontherocks.com/2016/11/tro...our-democracy/

    But most observers are missing the point. Russia is helping Trump’s campaign, yes, but it is not doing so solely or even necessarily with the goal of placing him in the Oval Office. Rather, these efforts seek to produce a divided electorate and a president with no clear mandate to govern. The ultimate objective is to diminish and tarnish American democracy. Unfortunately, that effort is going very well indeed.
    We have been tracking Russian online information operations since 2014, when our interest was piqued by strange activity we observed studying online dimensions of jihadism and the Syrian civil war. When experts published content criticizing the Russian-supported Bashar al Assad regime, organized hordes of trolls would appear to attack the authors on Twitter and Facebook. Examining the troll social networks revealed dozens of accounts presenting themselves as attractive young women eager to talk politics with Americans, including some working in the national security sector. These “honeypot” social media accounts were linked to other accounts used by the Syrian Electronic Army hacker operation. All three elements were working together: the trolls to sow doubt, the honeypots to win trust, and the hackers (we believe) to exploit clicks on dubious links sent out by the first two.

    The Syrian network did not stand alone. Beyond it lurked closely interconnected networks tied to Syria’s allies, Iran and Russia. Many of these networks were aimed at U.S. political dissenters and domestic extremist movements, including militia groups, white nationalists, and anarchists.

    Today, that network is still hard at work, running at peak capacity to destroy Americans’ confidence in their system of government. We’ve monitored more than 7,000 social media accounts over the last 30 months and at times engaged directly with them. Trump isn’t the end of Russia’s social media and hacking campaign against America, but merely the beginning. Here is what we’ve learned.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

  • #2
    I wont argue the points made only will say that I'm pretty sure that Russia, China, North Korea and others are always trying to get info and influence America. And for that matter I'm confident we do the same to them. Since you put up an older article on Russia trying to influence our earlier elections it would beg the question, why didn't the Obama Administration and or the Senate and congress do anything to beef up cyber security? Its been grossly underfunded and undermanned since even the Bush Administration (Info from the Inside). Really if the Senate Investigation will do anything it will bring the facts out that once again our leaders sat by and did little if anything to thwart Russia from gaining access.

    One thing is true, Russia has grown more bolder and become far stronger over the last 2 administrations. They well be a thorn in Trumps and America's side for a long time. That is the now the real problem.
    Last edited by Mystikeye; 13 Dec 16, 12:37.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
      I wont argue the points made only will say that I'm pretty sure that Russia, China, North Korea and others are always trying to get info and influence America. And for that matter I'm confident we do the same to them. Since you put up an older article on Russia trying to influence our earlier elections it would beg the question, why didn't the Obama Administration and or the Senate and congress do anything to beef up cyber security? Its been grossly underfunded and undermanned since even the Bush Administration (Info from the Inside). Really if the Senate Investigation will do anything it will bring the facts out that once again our leaders sat by and did little if anything to thwart Russia from gaining access.
      The article is from summer, not that old.

      Once again it is not the Feds job to protect private groups from internet hacking nor is it their job to censor websites. Do you want them to censor and block foreign websites?
      “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
      “To talk of many things:
      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      And why the sea is boiling hot—
      And whether pigs have wings.”
      ― Lewis Carroll

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
        The article is from summer, not that old.

        Once again it is not the Feds job to protect private groups from internet hacking nor is it their job to censor websites. Do you want them to censor and block foreign websites?
        --------------
        So if its not the job of the Fed's to protect groups from Foreign Government hacking why are the Fed's now going to investigate said hacking?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
          --------------
          So if its not the job of the Fed's to protect groups from Foreign Government hacking why are the Fed's now going to investigate said hacking?
          Correct. It's not a local Police departments job to lock a businesses door at night. Nor is it their job to post an officer in every building in order to protect them from crime. The Feds do not protect my company's large server farm. My company protects it. Same with the DNC and any other private group.

          The Fed protects federal networks.

          The are investigating because it's a federal crime to do so.
          “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
          “To talk of many things:
          Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          And why the sea is boiling hot—
          And whether pigs have wings.”
          ― Lewis Carroll

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
            The article is from summer, not that old.

            Once again it is not the Feds job to protect private groups from internet hacking nor is it their job to censor websites. Do you want them to censor and block foreign websites?
            Regarding the hacking, that is false.


            The FBI is the lead federal agency for investigating cyber attacks by criminals, overseas adversaries, and terrorists. The threat is incredibly serious—and growing. Cyber intrusions are becoming more commonplace, more dangerous, and more sophisticated. Our nation’s critical infrastructure, including both private and public sector networks, are targeted by adversaries. American companies are targeted for trade secrets and other sensitive corporate data, and universities for their cutting-edge research and development. Citizens are targeted by fraudsters and identity thieves, and children are targeted by online predators. Just as the FBI transformed itself to better address the terrorist threat after the 9/11 attacks, it is undertaking a similar transformation to address the pervasive and evolving cyber threat. This means enhancing the Cyber Division’s investigative capacity to sharpen its focus on intrusions into government and private computer networks.


            Combating the threat. In recent years, we’ve built a whole new set of technological and investigative capabilities and partnerships—so we’re as comfortable chasing outlaws in cyberspace as we are down back alleys and across continents. That includes:

            A Cyber Division at FBI Headquarters “to address cyber crime in a coordinated and cohesive manner”;
            Specially trained cyber squads at FBI headquarters and in each of our 56 field offices, staffed with “agents and analysts who protect against investigate computer intrusions, theft of intellectual property and personal information, child pornography and exploitation, and online fraud”;

            https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/cyber
            Islam... it's a blast - literally.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Reiryc View Post
              Regarding the hacking, that is false.


              The FBI is the lead federal agency for investigating cyber attacks by criminals, overseas adversaries, and terrorists. The threat is incredibly serious—and growing. Cyber intrusions are becoming more commonplace, more dangerous, and more sophisticated. Our nation’s critical infrastructure, including both private and public sector networks, are targeted by adversaries. American companies are targeted for trade secrets and other sensitive corporate data, and universities for their cutting-edge research and development. Citizens are targeted by fraudsters and identity thieves, and children are targeted by online predators. Just as the FBI transformed itself to better address the terrorist threat after the 9/11 attacks, it is undertaking a similar transformation to address the pervasive and evolving cyber threat. This means enhancing the Cyber Division’s investigative capacity to sharpen its focus on intrusions into government and private computer networks.


              Combating the threat. In recent years, we’ve built a whole new set of technological and investigative capabilities and partnerships—so we’re as comfortable chasing outlaws in cyberspace as we are down back alleys and across continents. That includes:

              A Cyber Division at FBI Headquarters “to address cyber crime in a coordinated and cohesive manner”;
              Specially trained cyber squads at FBI headquarters and in each of our 56 field offices, staffed with “agents and analysts who protect against investigate computer intrusions, theft of intellectual property and personal information, child pornography and exploitation, and online fraud”;

              https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/cyber
              No that supports my point 100%. The FBI and others are now currently investigating the criminal hacking of DNC and Mr Podesta. As they should be.

              You confuse investigating with preventing.
              “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
              “To talk of many things:
              Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              And why the sea is boiling hot—
              And whether pigs have wings.”
              ― Lewis Carroll

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                No that supports my point 100%. The FBI and others are now currently investigating the criminal hacking of DNC and Mr Podesta. As they should be.

                You confuse investigating with preventing.
                Actually you seem to not understand that investigation is a form of prevention.

                And:

                Focus on cyber activities. Another key element of our counterintelligence strategy is its emphasis on detecting and deterring foreign-sponsored cyber intelligence threats to government and private sector information systems. Sometimes, spies don't have have to physically be in the U.S. to steal targeted information…they can be halfway around the world, sitting at a keyboard

                https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/counterintelligence
                Islam... it's a blast - literally.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Oh My GOD.

                  This is serious?
                  After denying it this stuff 1917, the Democrats are ready to go all McCarthy now?

                  Thanks, you made my day. This isn't just funny, it is the very definition of EPIC.
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

                  -Captain Jack

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                    Oh My GOD.

                    This is serious?
                    After denying it this stuff 1917, the Democrats are ready to go all McCarthy now?

                    Thanks, you made my day. This isn't just funny, it is the very definition of EPIC.
                    Sorry, your post makes no sense to me what so ever.
                    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    And why the sea is boiling hot—
                    And whether pigs have wings.”
                    ― Lewis Carroll

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
                      I wont argue the points made only will say that I'm pretty sure that Russia, China, North Korea and others are always trying to get info and influence America. And for that matter I'm confident we do the same to them. Since you put up an older article on Russia trying to influence our earlier elections it would beg the question, why didn't the Obama Administration and or the Senate and congress do anything to beef up cyber security? Its been grossly underfunded and undermanned since even the Bush Administration (Info from the Inside). Really if the Senate Investigation will do anything it will bring the facts out that once again our leaders sat by and did little if anything to thwart Russia from gaining access.

                      One thing is true, Russia has grown more bolder and become far stronger over the last 2 administrations. They well be a thorn in Trumps and America's side for a long time. That is the now the real problem.
                      What the Russians, allegedly, did was to conduct a propaganda/dis-information campaign. How is beefed up cyber security going to stop that?

                      I do find it ironic that people are up in arms over Russia attempting to influence an American election. We, the US, have spent the last 50+ years trying to do that exact same thing in several countries by any means necessary/possible.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The Russians that did this used a lot more finesse than the minor league players that they send to ACG.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Its almost as if some folks view Russia as how some disgruntled folks view Israel. Why are folks criticizing Russia, I severely dislike anti Russian articles at the same time I severely dislike anti American articles from Russia.

                          Its impossible that Russia can sway the USA considering that the USA is the most powerful nation on the planet and considering the vitriolic anti Russian propaganda that is allowed to be voiced in the USA. If Russia did influence the USA dis proportionally then we would see a lot less anti Russian propaganda out of the USA.
                          And let me finish by saying,

                          Praise TRUMP, Praise Putin, Praise the USA and Praise RUSSIA...and down with ISIL
                          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                          George S Patton

                          Comment

                          Latest Topics

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X