Reno boy shot by school cop had been bullied, beaten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
    Its a tragedy....a young boy ripped away from his family and taken from this world.

Schools across the USA engage in anti bullying activities on a daily basis. Religious discrimination and discrimination based on skin color, mental ability or disability is a disgrace and has absolutely no place in America what so ever.
    Most bullying cases have little to do with skin color, religion, or sex. Sometimes mental disabilities play a role but most of the time its physical size and more times than not class (as in society) plays a roll. Kids are just cruel until taught a lesson. Problem is there isn't many parents of bullies that are willing to teach that lesson.
    I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
    --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Savez View Post
      Most bullying cases have little to do with skin color, religion, or sex. Sometimes mental disabilities play a role but most of the time its physical size and more times than not class (as in society) plays a roll. Kids are just cruel until taught a lesson. Problem is there isn't many parents of bullies that are willing to teach that lesson.
      I have to agree with that. I was a little guy who had much too aggression and tended take it out on the jocks. As a grown up I regret every instance of my violence.
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Bullying is as old as Mankind. Kids are cruel, and frequently those doing the bullying are acting that way out of compensation for some issue in their life.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
          It was being broadcast through social media and by word of mouth. I would say that if they didn't, they were incompetent in their observation of the situation.
          I am not fluent enough in social media to challenge or accept that statement, so I will take your word for it.

That part is unknown though physical violence is pretty easy to spot whether he did or not.
          Depends on the abuser. If they know to hit where it doesn't show, it wouldn't. Lots of battered women successfully hide abuse from friends and co-workers.

Likely not. That's why I have such critical words for the staff. This thing had clearly been building over time.
          Probably.

That's true except in this case we are dealing with a case documented by social media. It's not just the reporters spouting off, the campus students confirm what's being stated.
          I don't consider social media to be documentation. Do you believe everything posted on this forum?

I agree and I can see how the cop was in a spot where he had to act. But I feel it important to point out that teenagers make notoriously bad decisions for reasons not always under their control. At this stage in development they are impulsive, highly emotional, and don't do proper assessments of consequences to action. Their brains haven't finished developing and this impairs their judgement. Now, of course the officer had to react. I'm not presenting this as a reason to let the kid hurt anyone. But because teenagers lack life experience and maturity to always make good decisions, it is important to have authority figures around watching them, and when necessary pulling them back from making a mistake they might not live to learn from. This is why I'm being so hard on the school and in fairness to ladjw's points the parents should have been on the ball too. Once those knives came out the situation reached a point where the officer had to respond but people who have been entrusted with teaching and managing teenagers need to be vigilant to shut problems down before they escalate. You can't always rely on a teenager to find the correct course of action on his own. I'm not inclined to think the kid pulled those knives out of malice. I think he was just scared and frustrated and this was his immature way of dealing with it. The officer had to respond at that point but I feel his minders should have shut the problem down before it reached that stage.
          That is reasonable. My question would be what the blood scan showed and had he a history of mental illness.

Citing an example from my youth, when I was at church camp in the 8th grade there was a case of bunk vandalism and word got around that there would be a fight in retaliation. In that circumstance our minders moved - well - like a tactical team. The moment trouble started brewing they got in between the two parties and ordered all of us to sit on the floor and they used a tone of voice that scared the jeepers out of thirteen year old me and I wasn't even in the altercation. It worked. They made it clear that if anyone so much as moved they were in big trouble and once they subdued every kid in that bunkroom they sorted out what happened and took care of things. The key to their preventing what might have been a very violent confrontation was they watched their kids and the moment they saw what was coming they decisively and assertively shut it down before a single punch was thrown. They took command of the situation fast and didn't permit an escalation. I keep looking at that situation and this situation and thinking that if the faculty had done likewise the kid wouldn't have had time to pull the knives. Though I suppose yes I am speculating.
          A good example. Which brings me back to my point of earlier: this kid looked an officer in the eye, an officer screaming at him while pointing a weapon. I have seen and been an officer in this exact situation many times, and it is not a sight that inspires comfort. Which is why I wonder at his mental state.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

On the contrary, the target of bullying can be chosen for any of the reasons in your first sentence. The important things are that they have one characteristic that makes them different, even just slightly, from their peers and the bully believes that their is little risk of resistance. Anyone who is 'different and cannot or will not fight back will be a target.
            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
              On the contrary, the target of bullying can be chosen for any of the reasons in your first sentence. The important things are that they have one characteristic that makes them different, even just slightly, from their peers and the bully believes that their is little risk of resistance. Anyone who is 'different and cannot or will not fight back will be a target.
              Pretty much how it works throughout life.

The moral of the story is to fight back on your terms, time, and circumstances.

Comment

Working...
              X