Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heroin Now Kills More People Than Guns In America

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    That is more dramatic than it actually was.

    The reason heroin is getting new users is that conning opiates out of doctors is steadily getting tougher, coupled with safer pain meds coming out.

    But for terminal cancer patients and certain types of back pain there is no substitute. Nor are they addictive in the face of serious pain.

    It is a media myth about pain killers creating junkies. What we have had is addicts seeking out prescription meds.


    So basicaly they used to get drug from the doctors for there habits and now tgey cant so instead switched to heroine?
    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

    CPO Mzinyati

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
      All the more reason to once and for all defeat violence and crime that comes with the illegal drug trade....and that can be done by legalizing all drugs. Alcohol is already legal, therefore it makes no sense to have heroin, meth, and cocaine as "illegal". Now, perhaps the more hardcore drugs can be administered in a hospital.

      Drug dealers will continue to break up families until all drugs are legal.
      Actually, I have thought about this and could see legalizing some drugs. There are some that have zero redeeming value and are so dangerous they should never be even considered for legalization.

      In any case, the way I'd do it is legalize and stigmatize. You license manufacturers. They have to produce their product to a reasonable and cost effective standard, say something akin to veterinary grade drugs. Keep the price low but make the product reasonably safe to use.

      Then you license the dealers. These would be licensed as drug dealers. Users could only buy from a licensed dealer.

      Manufacture or dealing of any drug outside the legal, licensed system is automatically a life sentence with massive fines and loss of all wealth. Either you play along, or you never get a second chance.

      Now, as for users... In order to use any of these licensed, legal drugs (ones that are now totally illegal like cocaine, heroin, or whatever, you have to apply for and get an Abuser's license. That's what would be called. You are a licensed drug abuser.
      Alternately we could call it an addict's license, or some other horrid pejorative.
      The license is public information and can be used by an employer for denial of employment, or termination of current employment without explanation. That is, you get such a license an employer can refuse to hire you and fire you on the spot without recourse if you get one while employed.
      It can also be used to refuse all sorts of public welfare benefits, jack your health and other insurance like auto insurance through the rafters.
      Since it's public information, you can expect the media to know you have one if you're someone like a celebrity.
      If you have an abuse license for some particular drug, you simply go to your local dealer and buy as much as you'd like to abuse. Don't share it with anyone unlicensed though... Life sentence if caught. No license and you're doing these drugs? Life sentence. You're done the first time. Play the game or off to the penalty box until you die.

      As for alcohol... If it was invented last week it'd be illegal too. But, it wasn't. It's been part of human society for millennia. It isn't going away. That's been tried.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by andrewza View Post
        So basicaly they used to get drug from the doctors for there habits and now tgey cant so instead switched to heroine?
        Basically.

        They also get it through criminal enterprises; theft of prescription meds is a major business.

        The musician Prince died because he purchased what he thought were hydrocodone pills , but in fact were fentanyl cut with baby laxative.

        Dealers have acquired pill presses, and there are outfits manufacturing bogus oxy and hydro pills out of fentanyl or heroin. Its a simple pill stamp.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
          "Bath salts" were also legal for a while. That didn't work out well either.
          So are Pam, Freon for air conditioners, gasoline, plastic cement, peanut butter and mayonnaise, plastic bags, and a host of other substances that have been misused by mostly teens in the past and present in their quest to get high.

          The pushers had better wise up with cutting Heron with more potent cheaper substances if they don't want to end up killing off their customer base. That could end up bad for them when the suppliers start taking them out due to lost sales.

          What is the solution? Legalization, rehabilitation, and education. Legalization in order to provide a consistent product to the addicted. Rehabilitation for those ready to kick the addiction. Education so that those thinking about abusing drugs or some other substance can see for themselves how that stuff can destroy their bodies and mind.
          “Breaking News,”

          “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

          Comment


          • #20
            John Oliver had done a segment on this:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pdPrQFjo2o
            Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
            Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
            USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Acheron View Post
              John Oliver had done a segment on this:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pdPrQFjo2o
              Like all his stuff it was superficial, poorly presented, and ignored most of the key points.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                Actually, I have thought about this and could see legalizing some drugs. There are some that have zero redeeming value and are so dangerous they should never be even considered for legalization.

                In any case, the way I'd do it is legalize and stigmatize. You license manufacturers. They have to produce their product to a reasonable and cost effective standard, say something akin to veterinary grade drugs. Keep the price low but make the product reasonably safe to use.

                Then you license the dealers. These would be licensed as drug dealers. Users could only buy from a licensed dealer.

                Manufacture or dealing of any drug outside the legal, licensed system is automatically a life sentence with massive fines and loss of all wealth. Either you play along, or you never get a second chance.

                Now, as for users... In order to use any of these licensed, legal drugs (ones that are now totally illegal like cocaine, heroin, or whatever, you have to apply for and get an Abuser's license. That's what would be called. You are a licensed drug abuser.
                Alternately we could call it an addict's license, or some other horrid pejorative.
                The license is public information and can be used by an employer for denial of employment, or termination of current employment without explanation. That is, you get such a license an employer can refuse to hire you and fire you on the spot without recourse if you get one while employed.
                It can also be used to refuse all sorts of public welfare benefits, jack your health and other insurance like auto insurance through the rafters.
                Since it's public information, you can expect the media to know you have one if you're someone like a celebrity.
                If you have an abuse license for some particular drug, you simply go to your local dealer and buy as much as you'd like to abuse. Don't share it with anyone unlicensed though... Life sentence if caught. No license and you're doing these drugs? Life sentence. You're done the first time. Play the game or off to the penalty box until you die.

                As for alcohol... If it was invented last week it'd be illegal too. But, it wasn't. It's been part of human society for millennia. It isn't going away. That's been tried.
                Your idea is good, logical and sensible...but it won't work because humans have always been able to work around any system in existence.

                Addicts would just seek out illegal dealers who would spring up to meet the need, and we can't police the world to control all of the possible sources. Think of the gun industry. Anyone who wants a gun can get one, through illegal channels as easily or more easily that through the "official" channels.

                Besides, TAG, when did the government ever go for a plan that was sensible, logical and good?
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post

                  The pushers had better wise up with cutting Heron with more potent cheaper substances if they don't want to end up killing off their customer base. That could end up bad for them when the suppliers start taking them out due to lost sales.
                  But they won't for the same reasons that Big Business doesn't care about customer service. It is a seller's market; the demand is always growing, and new bodies arrive in abundance to take the place of those who drop out.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                    Heroin Now Kills More People Than Guns In America
                    EXCERPT:
                    For the first time ever, deaths in America due to heroin overdose outnumber gun homicides. And before you ask, no, the number of gun homicides hasn’t been dropping. Good lord.

                    The data, pulled from the CDC by the Washington Post, is dispiriting reminder of our nation’s worsening opiate epidemic, which was started by money-hungry drug companies and continues to claim more lives year over year. Gun homicides for 2015 were estimated at 12,979; heroin killed 12,989.

                    Heroin only accounts for a portion of the substances being abused by opiate addicts. And as the Post points out, one of the deadliest is fentanyl, which is estimated to be between 50 and 100 times stronger than morphine. Some heroin dealers cut their supply with fentanyl, leading their customers to accidental overdoses due to the substance’s astonishing potency.
                    ...
                    http://gizmodo.com/heroin-now-kills-...ica-1789867262

                    Sorry, but not good news from any perspective I can see.
                    I feel so safe and comfortable now.
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                    Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                    you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      The DEA Is to Blame for America’s Opioid Overdose Epidemic
                      EXCERPT:
                      Heroin overdose rates doubled in 28 states between 2010 and 2012, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A record-breaking 28,000 Americans died of opioid overdoses in 2014. In 2000, the age-adjusted drug overdose death rate was 6.2 per 100,000 persons. By 2014, it had increased to 9, according to the CDC.

                      What happened?

                      The truth is that many of those deaths are completely preventable and result not from painkillers, but from the Drug Enforcement Administration’s war on painkillers.
                      ...
                      https://fee.org/articles/the-dea-is-...dose-epidemic/
                      TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

                      Comment

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X