X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heroin Now Kills More People Than Guns In America

Heroin Now Kills More People Than Guns In America
    EXCERPT:
    For the first time ever, deaths in America due to heroin overdose outnumber gun homicides. And before you ask, no, the number of gun homicides hasnít been dropping. Good lord.

The data, pulled from the CDC by the Washington Post, is dispiriting reminder of our nationís worsening opiate epidemic, which was started by money-hungry drug companies and continues to claim more lives year over year. Gun homicides for 2015 were estimated at 12,979; heroin killed 12,989.

Heroin only accounts for a portion of the substances being abused by opiate addicts. And as the Post points out, one of the deadliest is fentanyl, which is estimated to be between 50 and 100 times stronger than morphine. Some heroin dealers cut their supply with fentanyl, leading their customers to accidental overdoses due to the substanceís astonishing potency.
    http://gizmodo.com/heroin-now-kills-...ica-1789867262

Sorry, but not good news from any perspective I can see.

Quick! There's only one course of action here! Ban guns and legalize heroin! It's the Progressive thing to do!

Comment

Fentanyl is far cheaper to produce than heroin, and massively more potent. Since many users and dealers don't understand the potency a lot of the deaths are due to ignorance.

Two things have worsened the situation: the long awaited crackdown on the abuse and over-prescription of legal opiates, and Bobo's decision to stop interfering with Afghan heroin production, which means the price of high-grade heroin is dropping and the supply is rising.

That various terrorist groups are funded from heroin sales is just a happy byproduct for our muslim-loving, terrorist-supporting POTUS.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

All the more reason to once and for all defeat violence and crime that comes with the illegal drug trade....and that can be done by legalizing all drugs. Alcohol is already legal, therefore it makes no sense to have heroin, meth, and cocaine as "illegal". Now, perhaps the more hardcore drugs can be administered in a hospital.

Drug dealers will continue to break up families until all drugs are legal.
        Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
        Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

About a year ago the fentanyl started being mixed in with the heroin and the overdoses in SW Ohio / Northern Kentucky went through the roof.

Towards the end of this summer carfentanil started being mixed in and the death and overdose rate shot up even more. Fentanyl is 50 times more powerful than heroin, carfentanil 100 times more more powerful than fentanyl. Towards the end of August and into September it was like a tidal wave of overdoses hit due to the carfentanil.

The last month the overdose rate in SW Ohio / Northern Ky has been back down. I wonder if the drug dealers figured out that having their customers die is a bad business model?
          Last edited by 17thfabn; 09 Dec 16, 17:28.
          "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
          Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
            All the more reason to once and for all defeat violence and crime that comes with the illegal drug trade....and that can be done by legalizing all drugs. Alcohol is already legal, therefore it makes no sense to have heroin, meth, and cocaine as "illegal". Now, perhaps the more hardcore drugs can be administered in a hospital.

"Pink" is legal, for now.

See how well that is working out.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ame...states-n666446

"Bath salts" were also legal for a while. That didn't work out well either.
            "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
            Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Nothing wrong with taking pain pills as long as you follow the dosage and don't exceed it. These feeble minded weak azz clowns are messing up a good thing with the pharmaceuticals.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
                Nothing wrong with taking pain pills as long as you follow the dosage and don't exceed it. These feeble minded weak azz clowns are messing up a good thing with the pharmaceuticals.
                I do hear the sob stories about people who got hooked by their Dr. on pain meds then graduated to street drugs. I don't believe it. It may happen in rare cases But most of the heroin addicts didn't get hooked because of being on pain meds.

Opiates if used properly are a God send. They can relieve a cancer of burn victims pain. Grandmas hip shattered and she is laying on the floor in agony. Fentanyl can make that bumpy ride to the ER more tolerable. Having the big heart attack? Morphine or fentanyl can lesson the pain and improve cardiac blood flow. Chronic back pain that NSAIDS isn't relieving? Hydrocodone can allow you to walk.

Comment

2013 CDC numbers for firearm deaths-11,208 homicides (3.5 per 100,000); 21,175 suicides; 505 deaths due to accidental/negligent discharge of a firearm; and 281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined" cause.

Excluding suicides from gun statistics may make sense but comparing them to drugs how many overdoses are a form of suicide. Even with alcohol the saying he drank himself to death seems appropriate at times.

When you have 324 million people statistics can be somewhat more alarming than they at first appear. The change in rate of overdoses is of course something to watch as it tells you more than the total number. What is clear is that Americans are growing increasingly unhappy.

I mentioned suicide because the overall suicide rate rose by 24 percent from 1999 to 2014, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. The increases were so widespread that they lifted the nation's suicide rate to 13 per 100,000 people, the highest since 1986. I would argue that a large part of the violent crime and drug abuse problem stems from a somewhat lackadaisical concern for survival. Ignorance certainly plays a part but as Neal Young said every junky is a setting sun.

According to MENTAL HEALTH AMERICA 40 million Americans have some sort of mental health problem. Youth depression has increased from 8.5 to 11.5 between 2011 and 2014. 56 percent of adults with mental illness received no treatment. Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama had the least access to treatment and the highest imprisonment rates.

States cut $5 billion in mental health services from 2009 to 2012. According to Thomas Insel director of the The National Institute of Mental Health speaking on the lack of health care "it costs the country at least $444 billion a year. Only about one-third of that total goes to medical care. The bulk of the cost to society stems from disability payments and lost productivity. That total doesn't include caregivers' lost earnings or the tax dollars spent to build prisons."

It is hard enough to treat an addict who wants to recover but for one who is clinically depressed and indifferent it would seem almost impossible.

Law enforcement is becoming our mental health providers by default. A job they neither want or are equipped to handle. That said locking people away in prisons or mental health facilities cannot be the answer. Personally I think it is a failing of our educational system that burdens childern with cultural Marxist ideology they cannot comprehend now defend against. The constant denigration of society and reminding them of it's short comings is only healthy if balanced by teaching childern how to feel good about themselves. Absolute physical poverty has all but been wiped out but spiritual poverty is epidemic. The new religion of cultural Marxism is no substitute for healthy two parent families and optimism about our future.

Part of the reason the 60s generation turned to drugs was the inoculation of childern into preparedness for nuclear holocaust. Today it's global warming and the fear of nationalism. These kinds of issues combined with confusion over sexual identity fostered by post modernist feminism are soul crushing for childern.

The first goal of our education system should be to teach childern to be happy. The second should be to make them productive citizens. Turning them into social justice warriors is not only cruel but counter productive. There are signs that the current cohort of childern are rebelling against this tyranny as any conscious being would. We may inadvertently be creating the next generation of anti communist fascists. This is simply a different form of suicide than the 60s generation of drug addled incompetents.

Being happy is a skill we are not born with. We do not have a happiness instinct only a survival of the species instinct. For social animals suicide is natural. All it takes is an ideology to infect the brains of people and convince them that life is not worth living without the achievement of some abstract and unachievable goal and personal survival becomes irrelevant. Ironically there can be no self sacrifice if there is no concept of self worth having. Identity politics are making that concept of self almost impossible to have for millions of people.

Drugs will always be a problem for a certain percentage of the population that will self medicate out of desperation or indifference. What the current culture fails to understand is that love of self and ones own kind is a prerequisite for love of others. You do not have to be rich, beautiful or intelligent to learn to love yourself. All that is needed is a culture that respects individuality not categories and prefers equality of opportunity over absolute equality.
                  We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
                    About a year ago the fentanyl started being mixed in with the heroin and the overdoses in SW Ohio / Northern Kentucky went through the roof.

Towards the end of this summer carfentanil started being mixed in and the death and overdose rate shot up even more. Fentanyl is 50 times more powerful than heroin, carfentanil 100 times more more powerful than fentanyl. Towards the end of August and into September it was like a tidal wave of overdoses hit due to the carfentanil.

The last month the overdose rate in SW Ohio / Northern Ky has been back down. I wonder if the drug dealers figured out that having their customers die is a bad business model?
                    That is one possibility. The other is declining numbers of heroin addicts.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
                      I do hear the sob stories about people who got hooked by their Dr. on pain meds then graduated to street drugs. I don't believe it. It may happen in rare cases But most of the heroin addicts didn't get hooked because of being on pain meds.
                      I've heard that same sad story, and I also acknowledge that there are undoubtedly a few who have gone that route, particularly years ago, when MDs were much less careful.

These days commercial oxy are in time-control coatings and smaller does for more accurate pain management. If you are getting hooked, it is because you are violating the drug instructions, for example chewing pills instead of swallowing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                        I've heard that same sad story, and I also acknowledge that there are undoubtedly a few who have gone that route, particularly years ago, when MDs were much less careful.

These days commercial oxy are in time-control coatings and smaller does for more accurate pain management. If you are getting hooked, it is because you are violating the drug instructions, for example chewing pills instead of swallowing them.
                        I loath narcotics, but my doctor has prescribed Tramadol. I don't care for the side effects. I'd rather poke smot. It works better and has no lasting effect. Really guys you should look into medical weed rather than opioids. You can walk away from it without any nasty side effects. Really. I've done both and I'll tell you that big pharma wants your money and doesn't give a shite about you personally...

Btw I can get as much narcotics from the VA as I want. I don't want any.
                        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

One verstion i have heard is. American drug companies push doctors to push opiodes on patients. Did hooked on it but herrion is cheaper.

My God pain killers are a gate way drug, doctors are pushers and multi million dollar corporations are dealer's.
                          you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post

Have you ever seen some one on Crystal Meth? No i thought not other wise you would not of sprouted such rubbish like legalise all drugs.

I fine with legal weed. But some drugs are just wrong.
                            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                              One verstion i have heard is. American drug companies push doctors to push opiodes on patients. Did hooked on it but herrion is cheaper.

My God pain killers are a gate way drug, doctors are pushers and multi million dollar corporations are dealer's.
                              That is more dramatic than it actually was.

The reason heroin is getting new users is that conning opiates out of doctors is steadily getting tougher, coupled with safer pain meds coming out.

But for terminal cancer patients and certain types of back pain there is no substitute. Nor are they addictive in the face of serious pain.

It is a media myth about pain killers creating junkies. What we have had is addicts seeking out prescription meds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X