Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump considering ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson for Sec. of State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I go with the PE books on deal making, Sen Rubio has but up his first 'position' in a quest to get something from the incoming administration.

“The next secretary of state must be someone who views the world with moral clarity, is free of potential conflicts of interest, has a clear sense of America's interests, and will be a forceful advocate for America's foreign policy goals to the president, within the administration, and on the world stage. I look forward to learning more about his record and his views. I will do my part to ensure he receives a full and fair but also thorough hearing before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.”
    Sen Rubio's single vote is enough to keep his nomination from passing the Sen Foreign relations committee. The majority leader can still jerk the nomination to the floor however that might not be a good idea. Would only take two more GOP Sen angered by that method to torpedo the floor vote.

So what does Sen Rubio, aka little Marco, want from a soon to be President Trump?
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
      This does beg the question... Are there rifts between Russia and Red China that the US could exploit? There clearly are rifts, the question is if the nature of those rifts is amenable to US exploitation.
      For the time being the rifts they have with the US outweigh their bilateral rifts.

US will apparently try to patch up its rifts with Russia, but Putin will only negotiate Russia's relations with the US, not its relations with China too.
      He'll no doubt point out normal relations with the US don't preclude normal relations with China.

With Trump widening the rift with China before he actually starts negotiating with Russia, Putin will be in the position to do deals with the US and benefit from US-China geopolitical tensions (more arms sales?), without actually committing to any side and maintaining his freedom of action.

Comment

If you don't count Crimea and the Russian-backed insurgents and some missiles... And Russia doesn't technically have paws...
        I'm counting the thousands of soldiers in the conflict... I like technicalities.
        “To talk of many things:
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

This does beg the question... Are there rifts between Russia and Red China that the US could exploit? There clearly are rifts, the question is if the nature of those rifts is amenable to US exploitation.
          PE Trump is already well down the path to not having a chance with China, let alone exploiting anything. His belief that everything is a 'deal' will and has backfired with his latest Taiwan comments.
          “To talk of many things:
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
            If I go with the PE books on deal making, Sen Rubio has but up his first 'position' in a quest to get something from the incoming administration.

Sen Rubio's single vote is enough to keep his nomination from passing the Sen Foreign relations committee. The majority leader can still jerk the nomination to the floor however that might not be a good idea. Would only take two more GOP Sen angered by that method to torpedo the floor vote.

So what does Sen Rubio aka little Marco, want from a soon to be President Trump?
            You're assuming that Rubio or anyone else in the Senate is up on their reading.

Trump is overwhelming them with nominees who would have been filibustered, if not for Harry Reid's gift.

I haven't done the math yet, but it seems that at least half of Trump's nominees are independently wealthy CEO's and other executives from the private sector. Apart from board's of directors, these people aren't accustomed to having bosses. They don't need to work. They don't need the jobs. It's highly unlikely that they would subject themselves to long, acrimonious confirmation hearings, even if they were certain they would be approved. Almost all of Trump's picks appears to be targeted on specific aspects of their respective agencies.

McConnell will fast-track the hearings. In the case of Tillerson, the confirmation hearings will yield no substantive reasons to vote against him. McCain and/or Goober might vote against him because Russia gave him a medal. Manchion might vote for him. He'll probably be confirmed on a nearly party-line vote. I don't think he would accept the nomination otherwise
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

PE Trump is already well down the path to not having a chance with China, let alone exploiting anything. His belief that everything is a 'deal' will and has backfired with his latest Taiwan comments.
              I don't think so. The ChiCom's aren't stupid.
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

You're assuming that Rubio or anyone else in the Senate is up on their reading.

Trump is overwhelming them with nominees who would have been filibustered, if not for Harry Reid's gift.

I haven't done the math yet, but it seems that at least half of Trump's nominees are independently wealthy CEO's and other executives from the private sector. Apart from board's of directors, these people aren't accustomed to having bosses. They don't need to work. They don't need the jobs. It's highly unlikely that they would subject themselves to long, acrimonious confirmation hearings, even if they were certain they would be approved. Almost all of Trump's picks appears to be targeted on specific aspects of their respective agencies.

McConnell will fast-track the hearings. In the case of Tillerson, the confirmation hearings will yield no substantive reasons to vote against him. McCain and/or Goober might vote against him because Russia gave him a medal. Manchion might vote for him. He'll probably be confirmed on a nearly party-line vote. I don't think he would accept the nomination otherwise
                Sen FR committee has only ONE more GOP member than it does Dems. If Sen Rubio flips it does not move out of committee. Sen McConnell will not be able to fast track the hearing.
                “To talk of many things:
                Of cabbages—and kings—
                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Sen FR committee has only ONE more GOP member than it does Dems. If Sen Rubio flips it does not move out of committee. Sen McConnell will not be able to fast track the hearing.
                  Which is one more reason to predict that "the confirmation hearings will yield no substantive reasons to vote against him."

Why would Tillerson put himself through the process if there was? He hasn't been aspiring to be Secretary of State. He's a few months away from a very comfortable retirement.

I guess the flip-side, is that he has nothing to lose if they vote him down. Then Trump brings in the "rightie"...

Comment

Which is one more reason to predict that "the confirmation hearings will yield no substantive reasons to vote against him."

Why would Tillerson put himself through the process if there was? He hasn't been aspiring to be Secretary of State. He's a few months away from a very comfortable retirement.

I guess the flip-side, is that he has nothing to lose if they vote him down. Then Trump brings in the "rightie"...

People in power like, power. He's jumping from one area to another.

Your assuming his answers to questions in committee will make everyone happy. Senators are fickle people, they like to have their ego stroked. Which is why I started out my post with what does Sen Rubio, little marco, want?

The other area that can cause trouble for him is from this side of the electorate:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald...n-state-232536

Social conservative leader Tony Perkins is sounding the alarm over the possibility that Rex Tillerson, CEO of ExxonMobil, will become secretary of state, after previously criticizing the notion that Mitt Romney might be the nation’s top diplomat.

“Trump calls Rex a 'world class player and deal-maker,' but if these are the kinds of deals Tillerson makes — sending dollars to an abortion business that's just been referred for criminal prosecution and risking the well-being of young boys under his charge in an attempt to placate radical homosexual activists — then who knows what sort of 'diplomacy' he would champion at DOS?” Perkins wrote on the Family Research Council’s website, where he serves as president.
                    More non-rational players that can upset the game. Just takes a couple more big players in the Evangelist area to cause a stink.
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

People in power like, power. He's jumping from one area to another.

Your assuming his answers to questions in committee will make everyone happy. Senators are fickle people, they like to have their ego stroked. Which is why I started out my post with what does Sen Rubio, little marco, want?

The other area that can cause trouble for him is from this side of the electorate:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald...n-state-232536

More non-rational players that can upset the game. Just takes a couple more big players in the Evangelist area to cause a stink.
                      I don't think Trump will pay much attention the Tony Perkins and I don't think this will have much, if any, impact in the Senate.

Tillerson has been a life-long supporter of the Boy Scouts and was an early advocate of accepting gay Scouts and Leaders. I don't totally agree with him... But I don't see it as a disqualifier. I won't bother to Google the abortion thing... I have reached my daily limit of ridiculing things...

Comment

I don't think Trump will pay much attention the Tony Perkins and I don't think this will have much, if any, impact in the Senate.

Tillerson has been a life-long supporter of the Boy Scouts and was an early advocate of accepting gay Scouts and Leaders. I don't totally agree with him... But I don't see it as a disqualifier. I won't bother to Google the abortion thing... I have reached my daily limit of ridiculing things...
                        Like I said, irrational. PE Trump went after the Evangelical vote with a passion. He ignores them at his peril. One more post election feeling that they've been played might be enough this time.
                        “To talk of many things:
                        Of cabbages—and kings—
                        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Like I said, irrational. PE Trump went after the Evangelical vote with a passion. He ignores them at his peril. One more post election feeling that they've been played might be enough this time.
                          Trump has four years to solidify his "Trump Democrat" support and build support among "Romney Republicans." He can do this by delivering a couple of years of >3% growth.

The Evangelicals will need to be happy with AG Jeff Sessions and Trump's first SCOTUS pick, because that's all they're going to get... And that's actually quite a lot.

With the Dem's lurching harder to the left, the Evangelicals will likely stick with Trump if he runs in 2020.

Comment

I don't think so. The ChiCom's aren't stupid.
                            the bigger question is: backfired how? Are we suddenly going to have an even greater trade imbalance?
                            Islam... it's a blast - literally.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiryc View Post
                              the bigger question is: backfired how? Are we suddenly going to have an even greater trade imbalance?
                              Let's see... By abdicating US leadership in the global war against the global warming myth... Everyone assumes that Trump opened the door to the ChiCom's to take our place...

Do people really think that Red China would take our place and destroy their own energy infrastructure, while doling out hundreds of billions to Third World countries for solar panels?

Red China was banking on us gutting our energy infrastructure, us buying solar panels from them and us borrowing money from them, to give to Third World dictators to buy solar panels from Red China... While Red China was massively expanding its coal-fired electricity generation capacity. Trump disrupted this and thumbed his nose at them more than a month before taking office...

Comment

The new Sec of State, if confirmed, will have to swallow a his ideas and opinions on global trade and trade agreements.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.12d95543ae68

But there’s an aspect of Tillerson’s biography that is not so Trumpian. As an energy executive, Tillerson voiced support for global free trade and the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a 12-nation trade pact that was once of Trump's favorite targets during the campaign.
                                Tillerson has maintained a very different stance. In a speech he gave to the Asia Society Global Forum on June 13, 2013, Tillerson talked about his support for the Trans-Pacific Partnership, which he said would provide the open markets that would allow the United States and countries in Asia and elsewhere to grow and progress.

“We must embrace the free flow of energy, capital, and human talent across oceans and borders,” Tillerson told the crowd.
                                “To talk of many things:
                                Of cabbages—and kings—
                                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X