Army Corps of Engineers halts Dakota pipeline work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    Yet they don't feel badly enough to transfer Government land back to the tribes...

Pruitt
    I suppose we should "be thankful for small mercies"...
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

To see that ex US military men and women have stood by halting work on the Dakota pipeline shows how much American veterans care about America. Anytime a peaceful US vet voices their free speech I listen even If I might disagree.
      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
      Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Back in July, the US Army Corps of Engineers approved DAPL's water crossing permits. The approvals were based on civil engineering principles.

In September, a Federal judge "denied the tribe's request to block construction of the entire pipeline." This is when the Obama administration, with absolutely no engineering basis, decided "that further analysis was warranted given the tribe's concerns."

On Sunday, the Department of the Army revoked the permit to cross Lake Oahe because it felt bad about how the Sioux were treated by the US government in the 1800's and 1900's.
        [...]

THE ORIGINS

Energy Transfer Partners got federal permits for the pipeline in July, about two years after it was announced. The pipeline is projected to move a half-million barrels of crude oil daily to an existing pipeline in Patoka, Illinois, for shipment to Midwest and Gulf Coast markets.

Supporters say the pipeline will have safeguards against leaks, and is a safer way to move oil than trucks and trains, especially after a handful of fiery and sometimes deadly derailments of trains carrying North Dakota crude.

The Standing Rock Sioux, whose reservation straddles the North Dakota-South Dakota border, have challenged the Army Corps of Engineers' decision to grant permits at more than 200 water crossings. A federal judge in September denied the tribe's request to block construction of the entire pipeline.

MISSING LINK

The pipeline is largely complete except for the section under Lake Oahe, about a mile upstream of the reservation.

The tribe argues putting the pipeline there could affect drinking water for more than 8,000 tribal members and millions downstream. The Corps of Engineers granted Energy Transfer Partners the permits needed for the crossing in July, but the federal government decided in September that further analysis was warranted given the tribe's concerns. Then came Sunday's decision from the Army, which oversees the Corps.

The company responded by asking U.S. District Judge James Boasberg to declare that it has the right to lay pipe under Lake Oahe. The judge isn't likely to issue a decision until January at the earliest.

Obama raised the possibility of rerouting the pipeline in early November, and Archambault has said that would be acceptable to the tribe provided the new route isn't near the reservation and doesn't cross the Missouri River. But Energy Transfer Partners CEO Kelcy Warren told The Associated Press that that the pipeline won't be rerouted and the company has no alternative than to stick to its plan.

This story has been corrected to reflect that the decision not to approve the easement came from the Army instead of the Corps of Engineers. It has also been corrected to reflect that the federal government, not the Corps, decided in September that further analysis was warranted.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/o...eline-43999503

Dear Leader Chairman Maobama's fingerprints are all over this one...
        Last edited by The Doctor; 06 Dec 16, 18:37.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          I can hear the screaming...when they build a pipeline down through the middle of your neighborhoods.
          Why would we complain?

Or care?
          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

I can hear the screaming...when they build a pipeline down through the middle of your neighborhoods.
            Interestingly enough I saw signs warning of a buried crude oil pipeline under the street in downtown Salt Lake City, in the Avenues. We have a plethora of pipelines running through Los Angeles. It's not new.

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
              Interestingly enough I saw signs warning of a buried crude oil pipeline under the street in downtown Salt Lake City, in the Avenues. We have a plethora of pipelines running through Los Angeles. It's not new.
              If you heat and/or cook with natural gas, the odds are that there is a buried pipeline connected to your house. The morons protesting DAPL probably use propane bottles or campfires...

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                To see that ex US military men and women have stood by halting work on the Dakota pipeline shows how much American veterans care about America. Anytime a peaceful US vet voices their free speech I listen even If I might disagree.
                But is it not in there interest to see america prosper? Are they not standing in the way of progress
                you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

So, no Dakota pipeline means less jobs, less profits and less taxes, which means a lot less welfare funds for those reservation Indians.

Works for me.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                    But is it not in there interest to see america prosper? Are they not standing in the way of progress
                    I would listen, not necessarily agree. Im sure there are vets on the side of fellow poster Doctor. I find that in this debate both sides are producing convincing arguments, perhaps a middle ground can be found.
                    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      So, no Dakota pipeline means less jobs, less profits and less taxes, which means a lot less welfare funds for those reservation Indians.

Works for me.
                      One good site.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdow...s+office&csz=1
                      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Actually, they are building a new pipeline as we speak, and everyone is cheering. The local port is making a killing off it (and as a result the city is doing much delayed infrastructure work as a result). The semi-rural region in which I live is literally criss-crossed with LPG, LNG, Gasoline, etc pipelines. No one complains. Hell, there would be major belly aching if they were taken away. No one wants to go without heat, cooking fuel, gas, etc.

Standing Rock is only the latest Cause for the sake of cause.

Tuebor

Comment

Working...
                        X