Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Trump’s A-Team"

Trump’s A-Team
    The president-elect is assembling a who’s who of conservatives for his cabinet.

by DANIEL HENNINGER
    Nov. 30, 2016 7:13 p.m. ET

The day before Thanksgiving in New York, I bumped into a Trump adviser who actually knows what is going on inside Trump Tower, as opposed to rumors inhabiting the media such as this Tuesday headline: “Trump’s Team Frays Over Romney.” The message I got was different: “It’s going to be fine. It’s going to be just fine.”

In the seven days since Thanksgiving, President-elect Trump has named the respected schools reformer Betsy DeVos from Michigan as Secretary of Education. Rep. Tom Price of Georgia, the chairman of the House Budget Committee and a committed reformer of ObamaCare, is Secretary of Health and Human Services. Elaine Chao, who was George W. Bush’s reformist Labor Secretary for eight years, is the new Secretary of Transportation.

Two businessmen will enter the cabinet. Former Goldman Sachs banker Steven Mnuchin is Treasury Secretary and Wilbur Ross, an investor in distressed industries, will be Commerce Secretary.

[...]

[T]he Trump transition has been talking to and appointing some of the most accomplished and serious individuals in Republican and conservative politics. Donald Trump isn’t pulling rabbits out of a hat. Somebody at team Trump has a first-rate Rolodex.

By now, it should be obvious that the Trump operation exists in two parts. One half is the operation’s face, Donald Trump. The other half is the operation behind the face. Mr. Trump’s persona has often made it difficult to take the entire Trump phenomenon seriously. That, we learned, is a mistake.

[...]

I’m told calls are arriving from solid people in the private sector who want to work on the Trump project, without pay, and then get out. That is the private-to-public expertise model created by Gov. Mitch Daniels in Indiana and followed by Govs. John Kasich in Ohio and Bill Haslam in Tennessee.

Presumably this is the intention in naming Messrs. Mnuchin and Ross. I would have preferred seeing House Financial Services Committee Chairman Jeb Hensarling get Treasury, on the assumption that his ability to get tax reform and the overhaul of Dodd-Frank through Congress would have all but guaranteed a revived economy and a successful first Trump term. Mr. Mnuchin will benefit from having Chairman Hensarling as a lodestar in the House.

If Mr. Trump’s foreign-policy goal is to “kill ISIS,” it would be hard to design a more effective partnership than Jim Mattis at Defense and David Petraeus at State. They know what to do and how to do it, but that’s not the most important thing.

As former commanders in Iraq, Gens. Mattis and Petraeus have seen enough sacrifice from American troops in the Middle East for two lifetimes.

[...]

http://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-a-team-1480551204

It appears that, unlike Obama's cabinet, Trump's cabinet will be devoid of academics...

This is sandbagging...
    By now, it should be obvious that the Trump operation exists in two parts. One half is the operation’s face, Donald Trump. The other half is the operation behind the face. Mr. Trump’s persona has often made it difficult to take the entire Trump phenomenon seriously. That, we learned, is a mistake.

This is the way you drain the swamp...
    Calls are arriving from solid people in the private sector who want to work on the Trump project, without pay, and then get out.

This is the way you reignite our engine of economic growth...
    Two businessmen will enter the cabinet. Former Goldman Sachs banker Steven Mnuchin is Treasury Secretary and Wilbur Ross, an investor in distressed industries, will be Commerce Secretary.

Some highlights from their joint interview on CNBC...
    Kernen: Let's start with this. It's a two-prong question. Number one, because we talk about it all the time. What is the potential GDP growth for this U.S. economy, number one? What do you guys see it as that we can average? Number two, what are the most important things to get us there?

Mnuchin: Let me just say our most important priority is to sustained economic growth, and I think we can absolutely get to sustained 3 to 4 percent GDP and that is absolutely critical for the country.

Kernen: Not one or two quarters?

Mnuchin: No, I think it's seasonally adjusted this quarter but I believe we can have sustained growth at that level. And to get there our number one priority is tax reform. This will be the largest tax change since Reagan. We've talked about this during the campaign. Wilbur and I have worked very closely together on the campaign. We're going to cut corporate taxes, which will bring huge amounts of jobs back to the United States.

Kernen: Where do you think you can get to on that?

Mnuchin: We're going to get to 15 percent and bring a lot of cash back into the U.S.

[...]

Mnuchin: I would first just say that corporate taxes are one component of revenues to the government. OK? And the main component is obviously personal income and personal taxes. So, we think by cutting corporate taxes we'll create huge economic growth. And we'll have huge personal income. So, the revenues will be offset on the other side. We'll have a big middle income tax cut. That's another big part of this in simplifying taxes. Taxes are way too complicated and people spend way too much time worrying about ways to get them lower.

Kernen: Is dynamic scoring going to come back into people believing it? Because people — we've had people on that just flat out on the left say there is no proof that it ever works. I don't see how they can come up with that. If you do 4 percent growth, you get more taxes, do you not?

Mnuchin: Of course it works and of course you have to have dynamic scoring. It would make no sense otherwise. And we're going to work with Congress. I think they understand that.

Michelle Caruso-Cabrera: Dynamic scoring means that when you cut taxes, some people believe that that changes behavior which leads to more revenue. Left has argued that there's no proof of that, supposedly.

Wilbur Ross: Well, this administration will prove it.

[...]

Sorkin: Some of the analysis that suggested the middle class — that certain people, especially I think single family — single household — single parents, they may ultimately pay more. Have you seen those?

Mnuchin: We don't believe in that analysis. When we work with Congress and go through this, it will be very clear. This is a middle income tax cut and the child care credit is a big aspect of this. This is something we've worked on in the campaign and one of the benefits of this is Wilbur and I have worked together throughout the campaign with the president-elect and the policy team. So this will be an integrated approach across Commerce and Treasury. So another big area is going to be trade reform where again it cuts across both Commerce and Treasury. We believe in fair trade and we think that's going to be a big boost to the economy, as well.

[...]

Mnuchin: First thing I would say is it starts with an attitude. Of this administration, this president, this vice president-elect is going to have open communications with business leaders. You can see this started because the president-elect called up the CEO of United Technologies and said it's important to keep jobs here. And Wilbur and I will continue that. And again as he said, this is a great first win without us even having to take the job.

Caruso-Cabrera: But the reason those jobs were going to go to Mexico is because they were cheaper. It would help the company stay more competitive. How do you address the underlying issues of why companies want to leave the United States?

Ross: Well, first of all, it's more complicated than that. Mexico has 44 treaties with other countries that make it very advantageous to do international shipping from Mexico rather than from the United States. Believe it or not, Mexico has better treaties with the rest of the world than the United States does. We're going to fix that.

[...]

Ross: First of all, protectionism is a pejorative term. It's not really something that's meaningful. There's trade, sensible trade, and there's dumb trade. We've been doing a lot of dumb trade. And that's the part that's going to get fixed.

[...]

Ross: Everybody talks about tariffs as the first thing. Tariffs are the last thing. Tariffs are part of the negotiation. The real trick is going to be increase American exports. Get rid of some of the tariff and non-tariff barriers to American exports.

Kernen: Isn't some of [the Trans-Pacific Partnership] — isn't that what it did? Got rid of a lot of tariffs?

Ross: No. Not at all. For one thing, TPP had terrible rules of origin. Rules of origin means can stuff come in from outside the boundaries of the treaty countries. In automotive, the majority of a car could come from outside TPP. Namely could come from China and still get all the benefits of TPP and if it came in through Mexico, all the benefits of Mexico.

Kernen: Is that a bad deal, Steven, you think?

Ross: Horrible deal.

Mnuchin: Absolutely.

Kernen: TPP was a bad deal?

Ross: Horrible.

Mnuchin: Absolutely, and we believe in bilateral negotiations. And we will have very good deals with lots of countries.

[...]

Ross :The problem with regional trade agreements is you get picked apart by the first country. Then you negotiate with the second country. You get picked apart. And you go with the third one. You get picked apart again. What has to be put into perspective, we are the big market. We are the world's biggest importer. We need to treat the other countries as good suppliers. Not as determining the whole show.

[...]

Mnuchin: We've been in the business of regional banking and we understand what it is to make loans. That's the engine of growth to small- and medium-sized businesses. So, as we look at Dodd-Frank, the number one problem with Dodd-Frank is it's way too complicated and cuts back lending. So we want to strip back parts of Dodd-Frank that prevent banks from lending. And that will be the number one priority on the regulatory side.

[...]

Mnuchin: Let me just say I didn't say I backed them. I said I gave money to them. But I agree with you completely. The problem has been for the last eight years, there's been no economic growth. What we saw from traveling with the president-elect to all these rallies is for the average American worker they've gone nowhere. Our job is to make sure the average American worker has wage increases and have good jobs. That's the priority of this administration.

[...]

Mnuchin: First of all, I think the United States is the greatest country in the world to invest in. And we see that. And we see that money is pouring into the United States for those reasons. So I think we're really going to be focused on economic growth and creating jobs. And that's really going to be the priority.

Sorkin: China currency. Trump's wanted to call a manipulator. Is that something you think you want to do?

Mnuchin: Well I would just say, one of the things, Wilbur and I are going to work very closely together. As you look at both of us in the U.S. Trade Representative [Office], this will be a coordinated aspect. So, there is enforcement aspects of trade agreements that are in Commerce and [there are] enforcement acts in Treasury. So if we determine that we need to label them as a currency manipulator, that's something the Treasury would do.

[...]

Michelle: Did you ever think, Wilbur Ross, that you were going to work for the government?

Kernen: Yeah, we said that already.

Ross: No. I didn't think I would ever have a boss again.

[...]

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/30/trump...with-cnbc.html

The Marxists' reaction to Mnuchin is priceless...
    Progressive Sens. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.) and Sherrod Brown (Ohio) accused Trump of breaking his pledge to rid Washington of corporate influence.

Mnuchin’s nomination “should send shivers down the spine of every American who got hit hard by the financial crisis,” said Warren, citing his record at Goldman Sachs. “Trump has no intention of draining the swamp and every intention of running Washington to benefit himself and his rich buddies.”

Brown, the Senate Banking Committee’s ranking Democrat, said Mnuchin’s nomination “isn’t draining the swamp — it’s stocking it with alligators.”

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/30...m-taking-shape

These two are dumber than a bagful of schist. Trump's "pledge to rid Washington of corporate influence" was directed at politicians, not the corporate world. When a politician is dependent on financial ties to corporate entities, he is under their influence.

When billionaire CEO's are flocking to Washington DC, to take pay cuts and work for someone else, because they think they can help "Make America Great Again"... And then leave... They are draining the swamp.
    I’m told calls are arriving from solid people in the private sector who want to work on the Trump project, without pay, and then get out. That is the private-to-public expertise model created by Gov. Mitch Daniels in Indiana and followed by Govs. John Kasich in Ohio and Bill Haslam in Tennessee.
    Michelle: Did you ever think, Wilbur Ross, that you were going to work for the government?

Ross: No. I didn't think I would ever have a boss again.

Last edited by The Doctor; 01 Dec 16, 09:17.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Trump is doing exactly what I suspected he would do, surrounding himself with competent people to make up for his shortcomings, unlike Obama who surrounded himself with sycophants.
    I posted this last month:
    We will be just fine Belgrave, I predict that the economy will improve Trump is an old hand at that, he knows business and he will surround himself with competent people (who won't take any crap from the likes of Iran) to guide him with foreign policy.
    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
      Ross' role is going to be interesting.
      I don't ever recall a Commerce Secretary being such a key cabinet position.

I am particularly interested in how Ross and Mnuchin will work together as a team. The CNBC interview makes me think that they have already been working together for a while now.
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
        Trump is doing exactly what I suspected he would do, surrounding himself with competent people to make up for his shortcomings, unlike Obama who surrounded himself with sycophants.
        We will be just fine Belgrave, I predict that the economy will improve Trump is an old hand at that, he knows business and he will surround himself with competent people (who won't take any crap from the likes of Iran) to guide him with foreign policy.
        He's doing what any competent CEO would do. He picked Mike Pence to be his COO and now he's hiring CEO's and COO's for all of his new subsidiaries.

Comment

And, I've noticed the MSM is lamenting it all with massive amounts of self flagellation.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            And, I've noticed the MSM is lamenting it all with massive amounts of self flagellation.
            That's because they misunderstand "rid Washington of corporate influence" in the same way they misunderstand Jefferson's "wall of separation between church and State." The have both concepts 100% bassackwards.

Comment

Pocahontas is having an apoplectic seizure...
              "Donald Trump promised that he was not going to have a government that was going to work for Wall Street. He promised that he was not going to have a revolving door," Warren told CNN's Anderson Cooper. "And then he turns around in his first big economic appointment is to appoint a Wall Street insider. A guy who made millions of dollars off mortgages that crushed families financially."

Mnuchin bought IndyMac in competitive bidding after it failed and resurrected it.
              "I think what a lot of Americans are sick of is a government that works for those at the top," she said. "I think the Donald Trump tapped into that anger and now Donald Trump is doing 180 degrees on it and putting Wall Street insiders into exactly the jobs where he criticized Wall Street insiders before."

I think Pocahontas needs to clean her peace pipe. Trump tapped into anger of Americans who felt left behind. Trump criticized politicians who were beholden to Wall Street, not the business people who can get our economy growing again.
              "If he wants to run his administration on bigotry and on Wall Street insiders, trickle-down economics that helps a handful of people at the top and leaves everybody else behind, I can't be part of that," she said.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...-street-232037

Since Trump's cabinet will be bare when it comes to academic pinheads, like Pocahontas, I don't think President Trump expects her to "be part of" making America Great Again.
              “I do regret calling her Pocahontas, because I think it’s a tremendous insult to Pocahontas.”
              --Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                Pocahontas is having an apoplectic seizure...
                "Donald Trump promised that he was not going to have a government that was going to work for Wall Street. He promised that he was not going to have a revolving door," Warren told CNN's Anderson Cooper. "And then he turns around in his first big economic appointment is to appoint a Wall Street insider. A guy who made millions of dollars off mortgages that crushed families financially."

Mnuchin bought IndyMac in competitive bidding after it failed and resurrected it.
                "I think what a lot of Americans are sick of is a government that works for those at the top," she said. "I think the Donald Trump tapped into that anger and now Donald Trump is doing 180 degrees on it and putting Wall Street insiders into exactly the jobs where he criticized Wall Street insiders before."

I think Pocahontas needs to clean her peace pipe. Trump tapped into anger of Americans who felt left behind. Trump criticized politicians who were beholden to Wall Street, not the business people who can get our economy growing again.
                "If he wants to run his administration on bigotry and on Wall Street insiders, trickle-down economics that helps a handful of people at the top and leaves everybody else behind, I can't be part of that," she said.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...-street-232037

Since Trump's cabinet will be bare when it comes to academic pinheads, like Pocahontas, I don't think President Trump expects her to "be part of" making America Great Again.
                “I do regret calling her Pocahontas, because I think it’s a tremendous insult to Pocahontas.”
                --Donald J. Trump
                I guess that Elizabeth warren has never heard the expression "it takes one to know one".
                Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

The problem with Reagan's Tax Reforms, is they failed. Trickle down did not trickle down. What mechanism ties reducing corporate taxes to bringing back jobs? Many of the old jobs we lost to overseas are gone forever. If nothing else the old labor that did these jobs are not working anymore.

For instance, they shut down the plants in Shreveport that once made telephones and pick up trucks. In Lake Charles the old Olin Matheson Plant used to process Petroleum and make Chlorine tablets. They found that it was cheaper to buy them from Japan and stamp a new logo on them. The old plant has been dismantled and sold.

If we cut corporate taxes, why are people saying the corporations will hire in the US? They will need a reason to hire US workers that have a reputation for not working that hard and expect high pay. I want to hear HOW the greater Corporation profits will hire more Americans. I have been flim flammed before.

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

http://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-money-men-1480551496

Notes that Ross (believer in Gov't industrial policy) and Munchin (Keynesian Goldman Sachs) were Democratic party donors.
                    Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
                    Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
                    Barbarossa Derailed I & II
                    Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                      Such as Sarah Palin???? Steve Bannon? Nikki Haley was clearly a good choice but the quality is hardly uniform.
                      Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                      Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                        http://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-money-men-1480551496

Notes that Ross (believer in Gov't industrial policy) and Munchin (Keynesian Goldman Sachs) were Democratic party donors.
                        Mnuchin says he is a Republican. He says he "gave money to certain Democrats," but didn't "back them." Like many Wall Street insiders, he covered both bases...
                        Caruso-Cabrera: So Joe has brought up that you've donated money to Barack Obama and to Hillary Clinton in the past. Why?

Mnuchin: Like the president-elect, I lived in New York and gave money to certain Democrats. I did give, the most substantial gift was to Mitt Romney last time, OK? And I have been a Republican.

Caruso-Cabrera: So, transactional, not conviction.

Kernen: I feel better. My question was going to be, you gave money to the current president, obviously, and you're going to try to reverse, I would hope, a lot of the economic — you know, people argue about whether there has been a great economy or bad economy. I argue we were well below our potential for eight solid years. Tepid at best. You backed him over the Republican candidate. You were with Hillary before that. What about those —

Mnuchin: Let me just say I didn't say I backed them. I said I gave money to them. But I agree with you completely. The problem has been for the last eight years, there's been no economic growth. What we saw from traveling with the president-elect to all these rallies is for the average American worker they've gone nowhere. Our job is to make sure the average American worker has wage increases and have good jobs. That's the priority of this administration.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/30/trump...with-cnbc.html

Ross's political contributions leaned Democrat back in the 1990's. This year, 100% of his contributions were to the GOP, mostly to Marco Rubio and the RNC...

Ross, Wilbur L. & Hilary Geary $294,245 0% Dem 100% Rep

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
                          Such as Sarah Palin???? Steve Bannon? Nikki Haley was clearly a good choice but the quality is hardly uniform.
                          Apart from the lies about him, there's nothing wrong with Stephen Bannon. He is one of the main reasons Trump was able to turn his campaign around and he is an adviser, not a cabinet member.

Sarah Palin is supposedly on the list for VA and Interior but she hasn't been selected... I don't think she's even been brought in for an interview. Her experience would be well suited to the Dept. of the Interior.

Nikki Haley would have been a good choice for several positions. Although she doesn't really have any experience specific to being UN Ambassador, I think she will do an excellent job.

Comment

" Ä" get serious. Sounds more like a SoS team.
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X