Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The online radicalization of young...wait for it...white men.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The online radicalization of young...wait for it...white men.

From https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...tics-breitbart

For several years now, I’ve had a dark and fairly unusual hobby. When I’m alone and bored and the mood strikes me, I’ll open up my laptop and head for a particularly unsavoury corner of the internet.

No, not the bit you’re thinking of. Somewhere far worse. That loose network of blogs, forums, subreddits and alternative media publications colloquially known as the “manosphere”. An online subculture centred around hatred, anger and resentment of feminism specifically, and women more broadly. It’s grimly fascinating and now troubling relevant.
    One thing I noticed early on is that the community seems to be largely white. And that’s evident because race comes up, a lot. Sometimes, in the form of a kind of racial pseudo-science that advocates use to explain the dynamics of heterosexual relations. The age-old racist argument – that black men are “taking our women” – is made regularly. Racist slurs are chucked around casually. There seems to be a significant overlap with organised white supremacy.
    Reading through the posting history of individual aliases, it’s possible to chart their progress from vague dissatisfaction, and desire for social status and sexual success, to full-blown adherence to a cohesive ideology of white supremacy and misogyny. Neofascists treat these websites as recruitment grounds. They find angry, frustrated young men and groom them in their own image. Yet there’s no Prevent equivalent to try to stamp this out.
    And here's a story (anonymous) about someone that was nearly trapped:

From: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...s-islamophobia

This, I think, is where YouTube’s “suggested videos” can lead you down a rabbit hole. Moving on from Harris, I unlocked the Pandora’s box of “It’s not racist to criticise Islam!” content. Eventually I was introduced, by YouTube algorithms, to Milo Yiannopoulos and various “anti-SJW” videos (SJW, or social justice warrior, is a pejorative directed at progressives). They were shocking at first, but always presented as innocuous criticism from people claiming to be liberals themselves, or centrists, sometimes “just a regular conservative” – but never, ever identifying as the dreaded “alt-right”.
    At the same time, the anti-SJW stuff also moved on to anti-feminism, men’s rights activists – all that stuff. I followed a lot of these people on Twitter, but never shared any of it. I just passively consumed it, because, deep down, I knew I was ashamed of what I was doing. I’d started to roll my eyes when my friends talked about liberal, progressive things. What was wrong with them? Did they not understand what being a real liberal was? All my friends were just SJWs. They didn’t know that free speech was under threat and that politically correct culture and censorship were the true problem.
    About a week before the US election, I heard one of these YouTubers use the phrase “red-pilled” – a term from the film The Matrix – in reference to people being awakened to the truth about the world and SJWs. Suddenly I thought: “This is exactly like a cult. What am I doing? I’m turning into an arsehole.”
    "I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. I just kiss. I don't even wait. You can do anything... Grab them by the [redacted]. You can do anything."
    -The President of the United States of America.

I'd have to watch those videos before making more than a general comment. It is my experience that the Progressive Left, including the author of that article are far too quick to condemn anyone or thing that questions Leftist dogma.
    Without seeing the videos myself, there is no way to judge the content of them, and they aren't listed.

But, reading the article I'm left with the impression this is unjustified Leftist outrage that someone or anyone could dare question their values, motives, or beliefs.

Comment

This isn't anything new, but the common argument is that only a small percentage subscribe to that type of ideology, thus it's not worth caring about. Meanwhile a small percentage of blacks follow BLM and everyone goes crazy.
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

But, reading the article I'm left with the impression this is unjustified Leftist outrage that someone or anyone could dare question their values, motives, or beliefs.
        See? You're doing it yourself. Why "leftist outrage" as opposed to just "outrage?"

Anyway, this isn't about "questioning beliefs." This is about people that promote hatred online. They have a definite agenda and they use that hatred to attact disaffected young white men to join "the group," as it were.

This goes WAY beyond the simple needling and prodding about different political opinions you are likely to see around here.
        "I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. I just kiss. I don't even wait. You can do anything... Grab them by the [redacted]. You can do anything."
        -The President of the United States of America.

Comment

Originally posted by armor11 View Post
          See? You're doing it yourself. Why "leftist outrage" as opposed to just "outrage?"

Anyway, this isn't about "questioning beliefs." This is about people that promote hatred online. They have a definite agenda and they use that hatred to attact disaffected young white men to join "the group," as it were.

This goes WAY beyond the simple needling and prodding about different political opinions you are likely to see around here.
          Ignore it! It's only the Guardian.

Paul
          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
          All human ills he can subdue,
          Or with a bauble or medal
          Can win mans heart for you;
          And many a blessing know to stew
          To make a megloamaniac bright;
          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
          The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Ever think about parental controls and limiting kids from bad content???
            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by armor11 View Post

No, I'm not. I am trying to accurately pinpoint the politics of the writer. I'd point out in the exact same way Rightist outrage. By simply saying "outrage" diminishes the political aspect of that outrage. And, make no doubt about it, there is clearly a very political aspect to it.

As to promoting hatred online, the Left does as much, if not more, of that than the Right does online. The Right has no particular lock on hatred. There's plenty coming from the Left and elsewhere too.
              Take your paragraph above and substitute in for the word "White" any of the following: Black, gay, Hispanic, Native American, Muslim, or some other group. It has the same exact affect only the political direction changes and generally towards the Left.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                Ignore it! It's only the Guardian.

Paul
                The Grauniad... .....
                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

"I unlocked the Pandora’s box of 'It’s not racist to criticise Islam!' content," and found this...

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

the bannon/brebarit website spends considerable coverage doing counter-agitation against SJW propaganda from MSM.

The interesting aspect is that the articles themselves are not written in a mouth-foaming manner, but often in a calm, intellectual way.

A lot of it gets pretty gross in their thinly veiled attacks against muslims, feminists, homosexuals, etc. Although MSM SJW is often 'agitation'/ lite brainwashing ..they do not hit this hard.
                    Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
                    Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
                    Barbarossa Derailed I & II
                    Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

the manosphere is really for a pack of cowards and degenerates imho

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                        the manosphere is really for a pack of cowards and degenerates imho
                        What the hell is that? Never heard of that term.

Snowflakes are a bunch of cowards. As are those who didn't volunteer for military service. The one thing that I can chat about in the VA clinic is the close calls or other serious debilitating **** that happened to us.
                        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post

Snowflakes are a bunch of cowards. As are those who didn't volunteer for military service. The one thing that I can chat about in the VA clinic is the close calls or other serious debilitating **** that happened to us.
                          It's the opposite of the manholes on the Left I think...

Comment

The manosphere takes many forms...

The one common theme of the "manosphere" is that it is an extremely hostile environment for snowflakes.

Comment

It's a subculture that revolves around teaching each other how to dominate women sexually or hating women/espec. feminists. Also included are men that swear never to marry or have children.

Comment

Working...
                              X