Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Trump: 'Very impressed' with Petraeus as he weighs top diplomat job"

By Steve Holland and Melissa Fares

NEW YORK (Reuters) - President-elect Donald Trump stepped up his search on Monday for a new U.S. secretary of state, with the focus on David Petraeus, a former U.S. military commander in Iraq whose mishandling of classified information led to his resignation as CIA chief in 2012.

"Just met with General Petraeus--was very impressed!" Trump said on Twitter shortly after Petraeus, a retired general, left an hour-long meeting with the Republican winner of the Nov. 8 election at Trump Tower in Manhattan.

[...]

Petraeus said after meeting Trump that the New York businessman "basically walked us around the world" in their discussion. "He showed a great grasp of the variety of challenges that are out there and some of the opportunities as well," Petraeus told reporters.

[...]

Petraeus' past mishandling of classified documents is unlikely to be an obstacle to Trump offering him a top government post, said a source who has advised the transition team on national security. That is despite Trump harshly criticizing Democratic rival Hillary Clinton during the election campaign for using a private email server while she was secretary of state.

Trump often compared the prosecution of Petraeus with the lack of legal action against Clinton, who was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation but never charged with any offense.

"Just based on his public statements, I think (Trump) sees Petraeus as a good man who made a mistake, who did a fraction of what other people have done and received a lot more punishment," said a source who has advised the transition team on national security.

Among the Trump transition team, Petraeus and Romney are supported by Republicans looking for a candidate with gravitas who can unify the party, the source said.

Giuliani is favored by loyalists who worked on the election campaign.

[...]

Ideological conservatives hope Trump picks John Bolton, the former ambassador to the United Nations, the source said.

[...]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-ste...180957953.html
    David Petraeus
    42.86%
    Mitt Romney
    28.57%
    John Bolton
    14.29%
    Rudy Giuliani
    0.00%
    Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN)
    14.29%
    Other
    0.00%
    None... The recounts will allow Clinton to steal the Election.
    0.00%
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

I think he would do better than Romney. I hope Giuliani gets a senior position as well.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      I think he would do better than Romney. I hope Giuliani gets a senior position as well.
      Romney would be a great way to heal some of the rifts in the GOP... But, he would also alienate a lot of Trump's close advisers and much of his electoral base.

Maybe with Petraeus, Trump can heal the rifts, not alienate his base and cause more snowflakes to have meltdowns... "But, but, Trump said Hillary was crooked and should go to prison!!!"

I can't decide. I think Giuliani is still in the running... But I think Romney and Petraeus will be the finalists.
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I'm surprised that the snowflakes haven't done a drive by post yet...
        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
          I'm surprised that the snowflakes haven't done a drive by post yet...
          The latest offering from lodestar is soaking up a lot of passion.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I went Mr Romney as I think PE Trump will pick Gen Mattis as his Sec-Def and we don't need the National Sec main players to be all recently retired Generals/Admirals.
            “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
            “To talk of many things:
            Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
            Of cabbages—and kings—
            And why the sea is boiling hot—
            And whether pigs have wings.”
            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

I would pick Romney to fix the damn VA once and for all. He can do that with his experience I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                Giuliani left a lot to be desired in a mayor, and even more in a Federal prosecutor: I believe that Giuliani led all US Attorneys in his era in cases overturned or thrown out. I understand that since leaving the public sphere, Giuliani has launched a security consulting business, which boasts a number of foreign clients. I'm guessing that before being offered a post in the Trump administration, Giuliani will have to reveal his clients, and give up his consultancy.
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
                  I would pick Romney to fix the damn VA once and for all. He can do that with his experience I believe.
                  VA Sec has no authority to fix much at the VA. Congress needs to step in and change a lot. So he'll not touch that job with a 10ft pole.
                  “To talk of many things:
                  Of cabbages—and kings—
                  ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                    I went Mr Romney as I think PE Trump will pick Gen Mattis as his Sec-Def and we don't need the National Sec main players to be all recently retired Generals/Admirals.
                    I went with Petraeus on a coin toss.

I kind of like having two former CENTCOM's at State and Defense. It kind of sings out, "Do not **** with us!!!"... But, yeah... Two 4-stars and one 3-star is a lot of stars... At least Pompeo was only a captain.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                      I went with Petraeus on a coin toss.

I kind of like having two former CENTCOM's at State and Defense. It kind of sings out, "Do not **** with us!!!"... But, yeah... Two 4-stars and one 3-star is a lot of stars... At least Pompeo was only a captain.
                      That would be 4 + 4 and throw in 3 for Gen Flynn.
                      “To talk of many things:
                      Of cabbages—and kings—
                      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

VA Sec has no authority to fix much at the VA. Congress needs to step in and change a lot. So he'll not touch that job with a 10ft pole.
                        There's quite a bit that could be done through better management... But it doesn't really seem to be a good fit for Romney.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                          There's quite a bit that could be done through better management... But it doesn't really seem to be a good fit for Romney.
                          Not much. It's like the Post Office, you can't close one damn clinic or Hospital without congress passing a law.
                          “To talk of many things:
                          Of cabbages—and kings—
                          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Not much. It's like the Post Office, you can't close one damn clinic or Hospital without congress passing a law.
                            Maybe Petraeus for VA then???

Or this guy...

The VA needs a version of the Goldwater-Nichols Act.

Comment

Congress needs to re-look at the whole system. I think about 50-75% of the care needs to be done in regular hospitals with the VA picking up the cost. Close 50% of the facilities. The ones that remain handle care in more remote areas and for specialty care the is more specific to veterans.
                              “To talk of many things:
                              Of cabbages—and kings—
                              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X