Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dylan Roof, Emanuel AME Church shooter, to represent himself at Fed trial.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dylan Roof, Emanuel AME Church shooter, to represent himself at Fed trial.

Lets say that it not really a wise decision to represent ones self during a criminal trial unless you are perhaps a lawyer. However I'm thinking even then not good idea.

However when your 22 years old and going on trial in a Federal Death Penalty case it is NEVER a good idea to do so.

http://www.postandcourier.com/church...62d04ed6a.html

A federal judge has ruled that accused Emanuel AME Church shooter Dylann Roof can represent himself in his federal hate crimes trial, potentially allowing the self-avowed white supremacist to question the shooting survivors and nine victims' family members if they are called to testify.

Roof made the last-minute request as jury selection in his death penalty trial was set to begin this morning. U.S. District Judge Richard Gergel cautioned Roof against serving as his own attorney, noting his defense team's considerable legal expertise, but ultimately granted the request. He noted that Roof has a constitutional right to represent himself.

"I do find defendant has the personal capacity to self-representation," Gergel said. "I continue to believe it is strategically unwise, but it is a decision you have the right to make."

Roof, garbed in a striped grey-and-white jail uniform, stood up front in the courtroom and answered the judge's questions with "yes, sir" in a quiet, raspy voice. After Gergel's ruling, he smiled slightly as he returned to his defense table but showed no other obvious emotion.
    His former lead coucil will remain as his standby lawyer.

At one point, Bruck stood to object to a potential juror after the court had moved on to consider others without Roof objecting. The judge admonished Bruck and told him to sit down and confer with Roof.

“Mr. Roof elected to self-represent,” Gergel said.
    Actually I'm happy about it AND I hope he choose to do so again in his South Carolina Murder Trail that will start in January.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

He's even stupider than I thought. I bet he thinks he's going to be a martyr but all he's going to do is end up dead...good riddance!

Comment

The feds do have a death penalty. Maybe if he tries hard he can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        The feds do have a death penalty. Maybe if he tries hard he can get it.
        Not if the Progressives can save him.... for a lifetime in a 8x10 cell.
        Its so much more humane that way, don't you know?

Comment

My money says he will appeal his conviction on the grounds of not having adequate legal representation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
            Humane or not, life in jail with no way out is more punishing than a death sentence. Especially for this guy who would no doubt have the **** beat out of him until he's put in solitary.
            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
            - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
              Humane or not, life in jail with no way out is more punishing than a death sentence. Especially for this guy who would no doubt have the **** beat out of him until he's put in solitary.
              I've always said that anyone on trial for a capital offense should have a psychological profile done. Those that would thrive in a prison environment (gangleaders, etc.) should get the death penalty and those that fear prison should get life.

Comment

He's headed for SuperMax; they get bigger cells.

Can't put him in genpop, he is a hero to the AB/AC, who have too much power already.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                  Right up until this f**k stick beats a guard, stabs an inmate, or commits some other felony while in prison. Then his life sentence is little more than a license to commit more crimes against others.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    Right up until this f**k stick beats a guard, stabs an inmate, or commits some other felony while in prison. Then his life sentence is little more than a license to commit more crimes against others.
                    The Aryan Brotherhood commits an average of two murders a month in the Federal prison system. And this guy is a hero to them.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I don't know the circumstances that were of his arrest but I think a nice volley of bullets would have gone a long way to solving the problem.

Comment

Isn't this loser also under indictment on state charges? If the Feds don't get to stick him, then doesn't South Carolina get a crack at him?
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                          Isn't this loser also under indictment on state charges? If the Feds don't get to stick him, then doesn't South Carolina get a crack at him?
                          Yeah. But the Feds shouldn't have much trouble putting him away. His only hope was an insanity plea.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                            Yeah. But the Feds shouldn't have much trouble putting him away. His only hope was an insanity plea.
                            Allowing him to defend himself is a certain path to a successful appeal.

I'm surprised that the Feds are getting first crack at him. I'd have thought that SC's charges would have taken precedence.
                            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Allowing him to defend himself is a certain path to a successful appeal.
                              Not as long as the judge briefed him, he signed the warning, and they assign him a suitable budget and legal advisor.

I'm surprised that the Feds are getting first crack at him. I'd have thought that SC's charges would have taken precedence.
                              The Feds generally get first shot. The have the resources to really put on a dog and pony show. A trial like this will cost a couple million, easy. Most states are happy to let someone else foot the bill.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X