Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC Run Amok -- or Are Frenchmen Sexist Pigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Run Amok -- or Are Frenchmen Sexist Pigs?

Hey Mods, if you so desire, feel free to move this one, 'cause I not at all sure where it belongs.

So the other day, I'm sitting there with Slick Jr watching the Rangers -- NY of the NHL not Glasgow of the SPL and the young man expressed his interest in going up to Quebec to play junior hockey. So I says to him, "you'd better learn some French first." So he asks me, "how can I learn French?" And then it came to me, from the recesses of distant memory, my favorite educational program of my youth: French in Action. For those not familiar:

French in Action is a French language course, developed by Professor Pierre Capretz of Yale University. The course includes workbooks, textbooks, and a 52-episode television series.

The television series — the best-known aspect of the course — was produced in 1987 by WGBH, Yale University, and Wellesley College, and funded by Annenberg/CPB, and since then, has been aired frequently on PBS in the United States, developing a cult following for its romantic comedy segments interspersed among grammar lessons.
    Truth be known, I never learned a damned thing from that show. I was too entranced with the female lead's . . . . more visible attributes.

Nevertheless, had I actually taken the opportunity to speak French more than twice a decade, I might have actually become conversant in the Gallic tongue. Anyways, my curiosity being piqued, I had to see what the World Wide Web's take on French in Action was, and I was shocked to learn this:

In 1990, three female students at Yale University filed a grievance claiming that the university's introductory French course was sexist in its use of the French in Action television series. In particular, the students objected to watching a scene in which the character Jean-Pierre harasses Mireille as she sits in a park and then being required to "pretend you were trying to pick up a pretty woman in a park." Some also objected to camera angles focusing on Mireille's legs, or breasts when she isn't wearing a bra.

Its creator, Prof. Capretz, a French native who has taught at Yale since 1956, said [he] "wouldn't change any of it." To teach French effectively, he said, "you have to make the students observe the language being used by native speakers, in real situations."

In response, the French department at Yale determined that the course would be changed by developing supplementary materials to be used in the course. However, the television programs themselves were not altered.
    I was otherwise occupied in that era, so I missed all the fun and games at Yale: the East Coast's headquarters for campus bullsht. Indeed, of all the Ivy League universities, none is as prone to leftover 1960s political crappola as Yale. So that some unshaven, unwashed, Yalie slob from Boston (New England's women are widely known as the US' least attractive -- and New Haven CT is a town where things and people decay at a geometric rate) objected to French in Action shouldn't come as any surprise. It was learning Prof Capretz's defense of his program that did surprise me, however:

Mr. Capretz, a French native who has taught at Yale since 1956, said he ''wouldn't change any of it.'' To teach French effectively, he said, ''you have to make the students observe the language being used by native speakers, in real situations.''

He said, ''Nothing we show is going to shock anybody in France.''

Ms. Blackmer disagreed. ''It's his interpretation of French culture - a very biased view,'' she said. ''It's a very unflattering picture for French people, as well as insulting to Americans.''

"Campus Life: Yale; Where French Course Is a Cause Celebre," The New York Times, 4 Mar 1990

In the end, of course, Yale folded faster than a Chinese laundry: a month later, the university announced that it'll be altering its French course, aka greasing the squeaky wheel.

So which is it: are Boston broads uptight frosty b*tches, or are Frogs lecherous perverts?
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Anyone who condemns sexism in that program should be out in the streets demonstrating against American television, media and advertising, all of which is sexually explicit.

The only thing in life worse than a female scorned is female with a cause. I call it the Crusader Rabbit Syndrome.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
      Hey Mods, if you so desire, feel free to move this one, 'cause I not at all sure where it belongs.

So the other day, I'm sitting there with Slick Jr watching the Rangers -- NY of the NHL not Glasgow of the SPL and the young man expressed his interest in going up to Quebec to play junior hockey. So I says to him, "you'd better learn some French first." So he asks me, "how can I learn French?" And then it came to me, from the recesses of distant memory, my favorite educational program of my youth: French in Action. For those not familiar:

Truth be known, I never learned a damned thing from that show. I was too entranced with the female lead's . . . . more visible attributes.

Nevertheless, had I actually taken the opportunity to speak French more than twice a decade, I might have actually become conversant in the Gallic tongue. Anyways, my curiosity being piqued, I had to see what the World Wide Web's take on French in Action was, and I was shocked to learn this:

I was otherwise occupied in that era, so I missed all the fun and games at Yale: the East Coast's headquarters for campus bullsht. Indeed, of all the Ivy League universities, none is as prone to leftover 1960s political crappola as Yale. So that some unshaven, unwashed, Yalie slob from Boston (New England's women are widely known as the US' least attractive -- and New Haven CT is a town where things and people decay at a geometric rate) objected to French in Action shouldn't come as any surprise. It was learning Prof Capretz's defense of his program that did surprise me, however:

In the end, of course, Yale folded faster than a Chinese laundry: a month later, the university announced that it'll be altering its French course, aka greasing the squeaky wheel.

So which is it: are Boston broads uptight frosty b*tches, or are Frogs lecherous perverts?
      Hey Marc, want to learn Italian?

Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
      Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Meanwhile, Russian language teachers patiently await future students...

Last edited by Skoblin; 23 Nov 16, 17:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
          Hey Marc, want to learn Italian?

Eo so italiano: eo dovuto sapere quello che cosa vostra gente diceva dietro mie spalda.

[Edited to add] At second glance, that looks more Spanish than Italian.

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post

Your pic crapped out.

Я знаю что русский тоже. Я узнал об этом в церкви.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post

Hard to imagine why...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              She's healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by III Corps View Post
                She's healthy.
                She certainly is!

Comment

The title obv stirs things up and the NY Rangers...give me a break. Go sabres! Crush em!

French people can not be sexist pigs...its impossible due to three words.... Joan of Arc.

Are French girls good looking. Well heeell partner...all women are good lookin especially Africans.
                  Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                  Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Sure, ...

... while I have no doubt that the Boston broads of 1990 may be considered "uptight frosty b*tches", and some of the "least attractive" females in the US, I also believe that "Frogs" of the same period, and certainly earlier, may well be considered as "lecherous perverts".

That said, apparently France has changed. According to a World Economic Forum report, "The Global Gender Gap Report, 2014" which measured 142 Nations under male vs. female, "ECONOMIC PARTICIPATION AND OPPORTUNITY", "EDUCATIONAL ATTAINMENT", "HEALTH AND SURVIVAL", "POLITICAL EMPOWERMENT"

France placed 16th, Canada 19th, the US 20th, the UK 26th, that's outstanding!

See the whole 395 page report at:
                    http://www3.weforum.org/docs/GGGR14/...eport_2014.pdf

For comparative purposes, out of 115 countries rated under the same criteria in the first such report back in 2006, France placed 70th overall; not bad I guess, considering French women didn't get the vote until 1944! Could the ogling of female body parts and the cat calls remain? Could be, but I would think l'homme Français version of "Grab Them By The P*ssy" is on the decline.

There'll be a test tomorrow, come prepared.

Marc, why Quebec? He can play Jr. not much further away in Ontario i.e. OHL, where language won't be an issue. The Peterborough Petes are just down the road from me, even European kids can adapt, they're taken in and well taken care of. If it has to be Quebec, Montreal is closer to NYC and he may get away with limited French, like most P.Q. Anglophones do, even Mike Bossy overcame his adolescence and made the NHL.

And there's always Ottawa/Hull, my Aunt's lived there for years, she's a former nun, got a B.A. in her 50's and she's a regular Drill Sgt. when it comes to the French language. When I suggested to my sons that they could learn French staying with her for a couple of weeks, their jaws dropped... nah, you could never submit your son to that kind of punishment, forget I mentioned the possibility of her taking him in.

PS,
                    Oh yeah, I'm not gonna fight France's battles, but if you ever use the terms "Frogs" or "Frenchies", for Canadians who happen to speak French, or in place of "Canadiens", I'll have to punch you in the nose, or be beaten to a pulp trying. As my old man use to say, that's just the way it is. He was a Brayon, de la République du Madawaska; oh, and don't call them Québécois either, he hated that too. So mon'ami, please refrain, in that regard.
                    Last edited by Marmat; 23 Nov 16, 21:33.
                    "I am Groot"
                    - Groot

Comment

I Learned much about Italian and Swedish language by observing Anita Ekberg

Nothing beats learning multi-lingual

Paul
                      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                      All human ills he can subdue,
                      Or with a bauble or medal
                      Can win mans heart for you;
                      And many a blessing know to stew
                      To make a megloamaniac bright;
                      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Here, here!

Comment

Have to admit she's a "vache de bonne femme!"
                          Gonna try to find the Trevise foutain scene
                          Mastroiani bastard !
                          That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                            Have to admit she's a "vache de bonne femme!"
                            Gonna try to find the Trevise foutain scene
                            Mastroiani bastard !
                            Her arty nude shoots are much more interesting

Le sue immagini di nudo sono molto più interessanti

Hennes nakenbilder är mycket mer intressant

Paul
                            Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 24 Nov 16, 16:37.
                            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                            All human ills he can subdue,
                            Or with a bauble or medal
                            Can win mans heart for you;
                            And many a blessing know to stew
                            To make a megloamaniac bright;
                            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                              ... while I have no doubt that the Boston broads of 1990 may be considered "uptight frosty b*tches", and some of the "least attractive" females in the US, I also believe that "Frogs" of the same period, and certainly earlier, may well be considered as "lecherous perverts".

That said, apparently France has changed. . . . .

For comparative purposes, out of 115 countries rated under the same criteria in the first such report back in 2006, France placed 70th overall; not bad I guess, considering French women didn't get the vote until 1944! Could the ogling of female body parts and the cat calls remain? Could be, but I would think l'homme Français version of "Grab Them By The P*ssy" is on the decline.
                              NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! The Horror! What's next: Canucks giving up beer and hockey?

On the other hand, the New England b*tches are actually frostier today than they were twenty-five years ago, and New Haven's even sh*ttier.

Marc, why Quebec? He can play Jr. not much further away in Ontario i.e. OHL, where language won't be an issue.
                              But I like Quebec -- the whole province, not just the City. It's much more interesting than the boring part of Canada. Besides, learning a foreign language is good for the brain. Perhaps it'll be something that Slick Jr and I can do together.

even Mike Bossy overcame his adolescence and made the NHL.
                              We don't speak that name in my house.

And there's always Ottawa/Hull, my Aunt's lived there for years, she's a former nun, got a B.A. in her 50's and she's a regular Drill Sgt. when it comes to the French language. When I suggested to my sons that they could learn French staying with her for a couple of weeks, their jaws dropped... nah, you could never submit your son to that kind of punishment, forget I mentioned the possibility of her taking him in.
                              She sounds like una Quebecoise to me.

PS,
                              Oh yeah, I'm not gonna fight France's battles, but if you ever use the terms "Frogs" or "Frenchies", for Canadians who happen to speak French, or in place of "Canadiens", I'll have to punch you in the nose, or be beaten to a pulp trying.
                              What do English Canadians call their francophone cousins in jest -- lily jumpers?

As my old man use to say, that's just the way it is. He was a Brayon, de la République du Madawaska; oh, and don't call them Québécois either, he hated that too. So mon'ami, please refrain, in that regard.
                              "Brayon, de la République du Madawaska": what the hell is that, like a subspecies of Quebecker?

Rimshot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X