Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.wsj.com/articles/investor...ump-1481672805

https://www.amazon.com/Zero-One-Note...ds=Zero+to+One

"Mr. Thiel’s ascendancy as one of the president-elect’s trusted advisers is a surprising twist that shifts Silicon Valley’s political power center. Mr. Thiel is already playing an important role as a member of Mr. Trump’s transition team, helping recruit people to fill some 4,000 jobs in the administration and helping craft policy that could impact the most highly valued sector of the American economy."

"Mr. Thiel has spoken out against free trade and remains skeptical of globalization—worrisome for a tech industry that gets most of its revenue overseas. He wrote in his 2014 book, “Zero to One,” that globalization enables the developing world to copy existing technologies, which he says is unsustainable and inferior to finding new technology solutions. "

"Mr. Thiel says government can play a central role supporting big tech projects such as the Apollo space program. He views monopolies as a positive force for the economy, which could portend weaker antitrust enforcement, and he expects Mr. Trump to push for less regulation and more fiscal stimulus which could help businesses, he said in the interview."

"Some observers expect Mr. Thiel to focus on overhauling government spending in areas including science, technology and defense. Higher education may also be a target. He argued in the Journal’s November interview that there is an “education bubble” and offers grants to young entrepreneurs so they can skip college and build a company.

Mr. Thiel has recruited several associates to help with the transition at agencies like the Treasury, Defense and Commerce departments."
    Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
    Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
    Barbarossa Derailed I & II
    Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

"President-elect Donald Trump struck a conciliatory tone at the start of a high-profile meeting with top tech executives Wednesday, telling Silicon Valley leaders that his goal is “to help you folks do well.”

“We want you to keep going with the incredible innovation. There’s nobody like you in the world.…Anything we can do to help this go along, we’re going to be there for you,” he told the tech executives, according to a video of the start of the meeting. “You call my people, you call me. It doesn’t make any difference. We have no formal chain of command around here.”"

"Mr. Trump also told the executives that he would “do fair-trade deals” and said he was “going to make it a lot easier for you to trade across borders because there are a lot of restrictions, a lot of problems.” He added, “If you have any ideas on that, that would be great.” Mr. Trump has been a persistent critic of past trade deals, including the pending Trans Pacific Partnership."

"Thirteen tech executives attended the meeting at Trump Tower, including Apple Inc. Chief Executive Tim Cook; Amazon.com Inc. CEO Jeff Bezos; Facebook Inc. Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg; Tesla Motors Inc. CEO Elon Musk; the CEO and chairman of Google parent Alphabet Inc., Larry Page and Eric Schmidt; and the CEO and president of Microsoft Corp., Satya Nadella and Brad Smith. The CEOs of Intel Corp., International Business Machines Corp., Oracle Corp., Cisco Systems Inc. and Palantir Technologies Inc. also attended."

"Another dozen people joined from Mr. Trump’s team, including Vice President-elect Mike Pence; billionaire investor and Trump adviser Peter Thiel; incoming White House chief of staff Reince Priebus; Trump adviser Steve Bannon; Commerce Secretary-designate Wilbur Ross; and Mr. Trump’s three adult children and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/top-tech...ons-1481724004

Comment

"The 17 people who US president-elect Donald Trump has selected for his cabinet or for posts with cabinet rank have well over $9.5 billion in combined wealth, with several positions still unfilled. This collection of wealth is greater than that of the 43 million least wealthy American households combined—over one third of the 126 million households total in the US."

http://qz.com/862412/trumps-16-cabin...olds-combined/

" cabinet is not only the richest of all time, but also 30 times richer than George W. Bush's cabinet."

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soz...a-1126196.html

The wealth of the cabinet does not concern me as much as if their interests are aligned with increasing the wealth of the bottom 99.5% of the population.

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
          The wealth of the cabinet does not concern me as much as if their interests are aligned with increasing the wealth of the bottom 99.5% of the population.
          It isn't the government's job to increase or decrease the wealth of anyone.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
            "The 17 people who US president-elect Donald Trump has selected for his cabinet or for posts with cabinet rank have well over $9.5 billion in combined wealth, with several positions still unfilled. This collection of wealth is greater than that of the 43 million least wealthy American households combined—over one third of the 126 million households total in the US."

http://qz.com/862412/trumps-16-cabin...olds-combined/

" cabinet is not only the richest of all time, but also 30 times richer than George W. Bush's cabinet."

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soz...a-1126196.html

Seems to me, It's better to go in wealthy so there is less incentive to leave wealthy.

Comment

Competition is for Losers by Thiel

http://www.wsj.com/articles/peter-th...ers-1410535536

"If you want to create and capture lasting value, look to build a monopoly, writes Peter Thiel"

Comment

The comparison between the 17 people vs bottom 43 million US households is not really apt and probably shows the bias of the writer.

The bottom 43 million US households are struggling under consumer debt, of course many have negative wealth.

I would be interested in seeing how much billionaire/ultrarich wealth was promoted by Obama and bush's cabinets (which had a lot of hack academics),

America is largely owned by over a thousand billionaires, corporations, and the ultrarich regardless of who holds the white house and the congress.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                  Seems to me, It's better to go in wealthy so there is less incentive to leave wealthy.
                  Or at least it is more expensive to bribe a billionaire. If we can't stop corruption we can at least make it expensive.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                    Or at least it is more expensive to bribe a billionaire. If we can't stop corruption we can at least make it expensive.
                    That was my point.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X