The Trump Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Fall-Ame...merican+growth

Economic history of US economic growth by NWE professor.

Today, US economic growth needs not a new revolution in IT or digital but a new industrial revolution. That is the core of the crisis and curse of slow growth.

I believe that Trump senses this as does Bannon. The question is, how is it possible for state power to force this? There is also the issue of 'competitive protectionism' which will be raised later on.

There is an opening for great change 11/29/2016.
    Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
    Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
    Barbarossa Derailed I & II
    Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
      https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Fall-Ame...merican+growth

Economic history of US economic growth by NWE professor.

Today, US economic growth needs not a new revolution in IT or digital but a new industrial revolution. That is the core of the crisis and curse of slow growth.

I believe that Trump senses this as does Bannon. The question is, how is it possible for state power to force this? There is also the issue of 'competitive protectionism' which will be raised later on.

There is an opening for great change 11/29/2016.
      A couple of places to start;
      Trumps position on the economy;
      https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/economy/
      Trump's Tax Plan;
      https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/tax-plan/
      Trump's other Positions/Policies, including Trade;
      https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/
      TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

BTW, the following is of interest here as well, Trump's pdf of a speech on Radical Islam and our 'Age of Terror' (defeating ISIS, etc.). An interesting sub item is the mention of the Clinton's gross income during Hillary's years as SoS coming close to $60 million (with links to their IRS 1040's 2009 - 2012). Didn't the job and speaking fees would pay that well ...

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/DJT_...lam_Speech.pdf

Comment

"The Rise and Fall of American Growth: The U.S. Standard of Living since the Civil War (The Princeton Economic History of the Western World)"

This book pretty much confirms things that I suspected:

The Prof , who led a research project on the subject, notes that US, and by that extension western civilization is largely saturated from the last industrial revolutions.

The most influential industrial revolution ended in 1970.

The book has a coherent explanation of the short lived productivity boom for about half a decade in the 1990s. 2004 was the end of any serious communication/Internet/Computer gains. This is classified as a secular boom and much weaker and less impactful on day to day life compare to the prior industrial revolution.

The mobile phone/app revolution of the 2000s-2010s is, as news has shown, coming to an end. It resulted in basically net zero, if not negative economic growth.

The prof is pessemistic about the future but warns that bursts of economic growth and innovation that sticks cannot easily be forecasted.

------

Pathways to future economic growth:

small robots , medical, 3D printing, big data, driverless vehicles

He correctly notes that these are simply secular or will be resolve in no net growth (as they eliminate obsolete personnel, processes, and machinery). He is not optimistic about driverless vehicles, robots, and 3D printing.

Big Data is largely helpful in the area of marketing and medical innovation, particularly in dementia, will improve/lengthen old age but add to the gigantic medical debts (gov't) and insurance costs.

Comment

Also, the Prof's economic analysis shows that manufacturing (improvements in the physical world) results in more economic growth and productivity increases than services.

WW2 is depicted as a great shock wave that saved the US from economic stagnation.

He is pessimistic about services, as he sees a lot of the services to not add much value due to the often non-competitive price action. eg. a statistic of services become 2/3rds of US consumer spending, a dramatic reversal from the past.

much of economic growth today is from population increases but there is extreme gov't/consumer debt loads.

Personal observation: for the past couple of years public corporations have the cash but not the opportunity for investment- another negative sign of growth.

On avg., half of cash inflows are reallocated to buybacks and dividends. The rest is kept in reserve with a small outlay for capex and other expenditures. or M &A
            Last edited by Cult Icon; 30 Nov 16, 08:56.

Comment

Some from a couple months back, but a chain of articles that may interest some;
              http://ijr.com/2016/10/712467-tomi-l...lewd-comments/

Comment

Critical WSJ editorial:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-tr...ads-1480378400

In an October white paper, Trump economist Peter Navarro and investor Wilbur Ross detail what they call “a huge infrastructure gap,” which they attribute to a lack of “innovative financing options.” They think they can unleash about $1 trillion in the capital markets with a tax credit equal to 82% of private equity investment, much as states and cities encourage real-estate development.
                Ross is now Sec of C and Navarro is part of the trump economic council

Comment

Navarro/Ross White paper, pg.9

VI. The Role of Offshoring In The GDP Growth Process
                  Just as there are those who argue that a “new normal” means the US economy is now
                  permanently stuck in a lower gear, there are those, including Hillary Clinton, who insist
                  that US manufacturing is destined to move offshore. Their “solution” is to convert the
                  US to a “service sector” economy – yet service sector jobs tend to be of lower pay.
                  This point of view shows a fundamental lack of understanding of: (1) the role of domestic
                  manufacturing in the process of economic growth and income creation, (2) how corporate
                  strategy guides locational and investment decisions, (3) why high taxation and overregulation
                  help “push” US corporate investment offshore, and (4) how the “pull” of
                  poorly negotiated trade deals and the unfair trade practices of America’s trading partners
                  help transform what would otherwise be growth-inducing domestic investment into
                  growth-inhibiting outbound Foreign Direct Investment (FDI)

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                    Trump's first 4 cabinet positions are worth more than 8 billion combined.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-w...one-1480626264
                    Which they earned in the private sector.

As opposed to the Hillabeast somehow earning millions on a Federal paycheck in a few years.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

One has to understand that manufacturing is based on energy. bobo and company are against cheap energy. This is the real reason for outsourcing of manufacturing... Its simply that we can't compete with other nations prices of manufacturing.

Why? Because 'clean' energy is expensive. Think about it...
                      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Book: The Tragedy of US Foreign policy

Beginning with the Spanish-American War in 1898, however, America’s diplomats either forgot or rejected George Washington and started what Mr. McDougall calls a “grasp for world power.” William McKinley justified war in Cuba as a process that made Americans “better for the effort and sacrifice” and Cubans “lifted up and blessed.” Woodrow Wilson rationalized U.S. entry into World War I as the pursuit of “a universal dominion of right by a concert of free peoples.” So, too, Franklin Roosevelt invoked godly idealism when describing the nation’s aims in World War II—combating “unholy” enemies in the name of a “faith that goes back through all the years to the first chapter of the Book of Genesis.” Presidents have made similar claims, from Dwight Eisenhower to Barack Obama, whose foreign policy has invited all Americans to join a global pilgrimage to “community, prosperity, mutual care, stewardship of the Earth, peacemaking, and human rights.

A Pulitzer Prize-winning historian who teaches at the University of Pennsylvania, Mr. McDougall frames his story by asking why the George W. Bush administration blundered so badly in the Middle East. His answer is that the president gave Americans exactly what his predecessors in the Oval Office had taught the people to want—namely, “disproportionate vengeance and perfect security, while pretending their government’s wars were part of a universal crusade.” On page after depressing page the author tries to shake Americans from their national hubris. He concedes that civil religion can “provide the emotional glue binding diverse groups to each other and to shared institutions and national interests.” But in the United States, he writes, civil religion has become a “Jacobin creed peddled to people at home through mythical history and forced down foreign throats at gunpoint.”

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                          My anecdotal and personal experience with liberal friends and aquaintances has shown they are more anti-Jewish than Conservatives, or "moderates". Perhaps your expereinces and/or perseptions differ.
                          I'm sorry but I find that to be my experience too

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                            I'm sorry but I find that to be my experience too
                            Personally, I find that I am more intolerant of idiots than my "conservative" friends.
                            Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                            Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X