Secretary Of Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secretary Of Defense

It appears that retired Marine General James Mattis is on the very short list to be the new SecDef.
    Now there is a requirement that says there must be a period of seven years after relief from active duty as a commissioned officer and becoming SecDef. However, there are those that say there is a "waiver".

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...cdef-talk.html
    Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Gen Mattis would be an excellent choice. Even if he were not he'd be better than the others mentioned in the article.

Others under consideration for the top post at the Pentagon reportedly include retired Army Gen. Jack Keane, a persistent critic of the Obama administration who met with Trump Thursday; Arkansas Republican Sen. Tom Cotton, who met with Trump twice this week; Jim Talent, a retired Republican senator from Missouri; and Stephen Hadley, former national-security adviser under President George W. Bush.
    Gen Keane is way too political.

Sen Cotton has never managed anything of any size.

Mr Talent was a mediocre Senator from my state that accomplished nothing. Nice enough man but not set out to manage something like the DoD.

Mr Hadley is a Neo-Con from the last admin. No need for him and honesty I don't think he has a chance for a appointment from President Elect Trump.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

I am almost certain that he can get a congressional waiver.
      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

There is a waiver for everything.

Comment

The Senate votes to confirm him, if nominated of course, then it would pointless unless they were willing to waive the time limit. So yes he'd get the waiver.
          “To talk of many things:
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Axis of Evil View Post

That's the kind of spirit we need!
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

A man like this would send a message that Trump is serious about getting the Best people regardless of politics.
                "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

I love this one............https://quotesgram.com/img/general-m...uotes/7896876/

Comment

Sec-Def still up in air. President Elect Trump on Gen Mattis in this mornings NYT interview:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/22/us...T.nav=top-news

Mr. Trump confirmed reports that he is strongly considering Gen. James N. Mattis as his nominee for defense secretary. He also said he was surprised when he asked General Mattis about his views on the practice of waterboarding, and General Mattis told him he was opposed to it.
                    Last edited by Combat Engineer; 22 Nov 16, 13:47.
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Good.....Trump needs people with diversity of OPINION. No President needs a cabinet of Yes men. They need the best people for the job, and a variety of opinions, so long as they can acknowledge who's boss and work together.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I hope Mathis gets it. This will send a clear message far and wide.
                        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                          I LIKE it!
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

<q>Mr. Trump confirmed reports that he is strongly considering Gen. James N. Mattis as his nominee for defense secretary. He also said he was surprised when he asked General Mattis about his views on the practice of waterboarding, and General Mattis told him he was opposed to it.</q>

And that means that General Mattis won't support the idea and will oppose any plan to use it.
                            We are not now that strength which in old days
                            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                              Gen Mattis would be an excellent choice. Even if he were not he'd be better than the others mentioned in the article.

Gen Keane is way too political.

Sen Cotton has never managed anything of any size.

Mr Talent was a mediocre Senator from my state that accomplished nothing. Nice enough man but not set out to manage something like the DoD.

Mr Hadley is a Neo-Con from the last admin. No need for him and honesty I don't think he has a chance for a appointment from President Elect Trump.
                              Can Gen. Mattis get through the confirmation hearings without dropping an F-bomb? Or taking "a flamethrower to this place"?

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X