Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Trump groundswell erupts for colleges to become immigrant sanctuaries

By Patrick May | [email protected] and Tatiana Sanchez | [email protected]
    PUBLISHED: November 16, 2016 at 8:59 am | UPDATED: November 17, 2016 at 3:12 am

As fear grows over the possible immigration moves by the incoming administration of President-elect Donald Trump, a groundswell movement is spreading around the Bay Area and across the country with petitions signed by students, faculty and alumni at colleges and universities to turn the institutions into “sanctuary campuses.”
    The worry is that federal immigration enforcement officials could soon swoop onto college campuses to apprehend and deport immigrant students. So activists stretching from St. Mary’s College, Santa Clara University and Stanford University to East Coast Ivy League schools are answering the threat with a call of their own: Our school administrators must protect our at-risk students by declaring the campuses to be safe places where federal immigration officials aren’t welcome.
    Around the United States, campuses have suddenly assumed a key role in the burgeoning movement against Trump’s immigration policies, even while those policies remain vague. And the defiance is coming at the highest levels.
    California State University Chancellor Timothy P. White reaffirmed Wednesday the university’s commitment to fostering a learning community that is “safe and welcoming” for its thousands of students who came to the U.S. illegally.
    As the largest public university system in the nation, Cal State’s mission to provide access to higher education and embrace the diversity of its 470,000 students remains unchanged, White said during a Board of Trustees meeting in Long Beach. Unless forced to by law, he said, Cal State “will not enter into agreements with state or local law enforcement agencies, Homeland Security or any other federal department for the enforcement of federal immigration law.”
    Here in the Bay Area, a region already finely attuned to the immigration issues raised to a high-profile during the 2016 presidential election, students are demanding that their college administrators do something and do it fast.
    Among campuses joining the sanctuary effort is Santa Clara University, a private, Jesuit institution known for teaching values of social justice and inclusion.
    The school’s Undocumented Students and Allies Association will host a walk-out Thursday afternoon standing in solidarity with undocumented students, who have felt a growing panic following the election. Some have considered not returning to campus for the start of the winter quarter in January, according to Marlene Cerritos-Rivas, co-president of the organization.
    “I’ve heard a lot of ‘what’s going to happen to us’ and ‘what’s going to happen to our families?'” she said. “We want this walk-out to symbolize the community coming together and protesting (immigration officials) from taking students away from campus.”
    The organization has also called on the university to formally name the school a sanctuary campus, which, it says, would bar U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement from entering the campus to potentially apprehend students for deportation.
    The association has met with the Office for Diversity and Inclusion and with an attorney to discuss the possibility further, according to Cerritos-Rivas. But in many ways, the school is simply growing the support and protection it has always offered to undocumented students, according to Ray Plaza, director of the Office for Diversity and Inclusion.
    “The university is looking at all angles, but in the end as an institution, we have always been supportive of undocumented students,” he said. “A lot of efforts are taking place behind the scenes to assure students feel safe.”
    The Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities in Washington, D.C. said it’s too early for an official sanctuary designation to go into place at any of the schools it represents, but that the topic is being discussed.
    At a Stanford march that drew 500 people Tuesday, speakers called for the university to become a sanctuary for “students, staff and their family members who face imminent deportation” under Trump.
    In the East Bay, students and faculty at St. Mary’s College in Moraga weighed in on the subject of Trump and his immigration policies by sending a letter this week to the college president requesting he make St. Mary’s a sanctuary.

“I think it’s nice to have something that sends a message that we’re a community and we’re together,” student Kyla Cole said.
    The St. Mary’s administration responded to the letter Tuesday night by saying they take the safety of all community members seriously.
    According to the online publication Inside Higher Ed, more than 20 such petitions calling on administrators to take action to make their institutions “sanctuary campuses” have circulated through social media since the presidential election.
    The president-elect has vowed to repeal the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, known as DACA, through which more than 700,000 immigrants who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children have obtained temporary relief from deportation. These immigrants have also received the right to work under DACA.
    At a University of California Board of Regents meeting in San Francisco on Wednesday, UC President Janet Napolitano said they’ve created a working group to discuss DACA and other immigration issues that could affect undocumented students in the coming months. Napolitano also plans to meet with undocumented student coordinators.
    The campus-sanctuary movement comes in tandem with a similar ongoing effort by cities around the country to create the same sort of safe spaces for immigrants — an effort that actually began under the administration of President Barack Obama, whose own aggressive deportation efforts provoked strong resistance. Trump has promised to up the ante by canceling federal funding for sanctuary cities such as San Francisco that decline to cooperate with federal immigration authorities.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/11/1...t-sanctuaries/

I hope he cuts federal funding to these institutions. After all they are considering violating federal law...
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

I think that is a good idea.

It will be a education for the students to meet some of these 'immigrants'.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Once Federal funding is cut, these idealistic students will quickly lose their love for illegals.

Remember - these are not "immigrants" by law. They never have been.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

No kidding. Let's take all the transient illegal alien workers and let them camp out on these college campuses. About the time they've trashed the campus, crime spikes into the stratosphere, not to mention the drugs, alcohol, and general problems they cause the students will rethink their whole view of illegal immigration...

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

An education in Reality, or the School of Hard Knocks, instead of the Progressive Propaganda they have been indoctrinated with by their commie professors.

Maybe one for the parents that have wasted their money on their kid's so called higher education.
          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I can hardly wait till sanctuary zone declarations are tested.
            Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
            Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

I think we need to install cameras in the classrooms and hold the universities to a higher unbiased curriculum. Get rid of the tenure system and the professors that preach sedition and hate. Also require a 50/50 mix of conservative and libby educators. Hell make that a standard across the entirety of schooling.

This brainwashing has too quit.
              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Stopping economic migrants is not a human rights violation. The question these students should be asking is why the countries the Immigrants are coming from have failed so badly that large parts of the population is leaving. The real human rights issues are in the countries they are fleeing. The hypocrisy and ignorance on our universities is breathtaking.

A very large number of professors need to be fired for gross intellectual incompetence. Their argument that these nations are victims of U.S. imperialism ignores the fact that they were failing before the U.S. existed. A quick comparison of British and Spanish New World colonies suggests at least part of the reason for their failure.

Now that these intellectual midgets have declared both environmental and biological determinism taboo there is no option but to terminate any contact they may have with students. If evolution deniers are worthy of censor then these social justice cultists should suffer the same fate.
                We hunt the hunters

Comment

Actually, taking immigrants and refugees at all is a nation's political choice. There is no inherent "human right" to someone fleeing war, poverty, injustice, or whatever to have to be taken in by some other nation. That whole idea is just another stupidity of the Progressive Left wanting to foist altruism on everyone by force of government.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    Actually, taking immigrants and refugees at all is a nation's political choice. There is no inherent "human right" to someone fleeing war, poverty, injustice, or whatever to have to be taken in by some other nation. That whole idea is just another stupidity of the Progressive Left wanting to foist altruism on everyone by force of government.
                    Not really imo its the open borders and globalists pov... I happen to like my country to have borders and am not a globalist. I value legal immigration, (That's how we get the worlds best and brightest.) but someone just showing up and moving in is just out...

New citizens require vetting, whether from Canada or Mexico...

(I consider justin beaver to not being worthy to be a American Citizen... Should be deported...)
                    Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                      Not really imo its the open borders and globalists pov... I happen to like my country to have borders and am not a globalist. I value legal immigration, (That's how we get the worlds best and brightest.) but someone just showing up and moving in is just out...

New citizens require vetting, whether from Canada or Mexico...

(I consider justin beaver to not being worthy to be a American Citizen... Should be deported...)
                      That's just a variant of what I was discussing. But, it all comes back to a belief on the Progressive Left that you can legislate altruism in humanity.

Comment

If a college declares itself an immigrant sanctuary, they should get their federal funds and students loans stopped, immediately. Then the government should step in and go through the various Financial Aid Departments with a fine tooth comb looking for federal violations.

Cut the money and their hearts and minds will follow.

Stanford has a large enough endowment fund to hold out for a while, but the Governing Board will hate this.

Pruitt
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Why should the taxpaying american citizen fund a campus full of illegal students? Every Colleg Berth that these &^%$'s take is one less place that a home grown american student has no access to.

If colleges and education was properly funded to begin with, colleges would have no need for foreign students to supplement their income.

As a reader and follower of military affairs, I find curiculumn choice in australian Universities sorely lacking in "Realpolitik" courses. We can do one "feel good" course after another, but if y wish to take a degree ans specialize in russian history, Ive got to go elsewhere, because "We have no staff here to teach the subject".

I did my own informal poll once, and asked ten students at randome to point out MOSUL on a map. Not one of them could do it.

I also asked them what type of AIR base we had in Darwin.....5 of the ten said "airbase? I thought we just had an airport, and that the military just lamnded and refueled here.....(pulls out hair)

Im tired of being the only one at a social gathering who knows where stalingrad is. and yet being the only one who's not in posession of a CD by Pink, or Katy Perry etc

When conflict erupts, I can USUALLY predict the result. All my freind simply say.."Where was that again?"

Education is upsidedown in this country.

I'm pretty sure american colleges are suffering similarly.

"The donald" can help fix this!

Lets have VETERANS go to College for FREE again. Will encourage volunteers, and get them moving again after a case of psychological readjustment difficulties.

Put the VET and HISTORY back centerstage!
                          My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                          GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                          Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

The issue is NOT the legal immigrants. They are not the problem. The ILLEGAL ones are the problem. (Undocumented for you Progressive types.) Cut off the welfare, prosecute the employers that knowingly hire them, eliminate Federal Funding to the sanctuaries cities and collages, and most of that problem will leave the country under their own power.
                            “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Look at it this way - they'll be much easier to find.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X