Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends, ...

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
    ... on where. For some time now most services in Canada advertise some basic requirements, but actual hiring is based on a point structure; University or college, plus X points; speak another language or 2, plus Y points; visible minority, plus Z points, etc. The reality is that there's so much competition that no one bringing just the basic requirements will actually get hired. The joke's been that a blind, multilingual, visible minority lesbian with a PhD will score the highest, and will prove to be next to useless on the road, even with full vision. That said, over the past few years, "Life Skills" have become much more highly sought i.e. recruits that are older, independent, successful in a non-police related field, i.e. don't really need the job, vs. a 21 year old fresh Law & Security graduate, living with mom & dad, who's wanted to be a cop all his/her life.

The RCMP i.e. "Mounties" in Canada still prefer them young, they require that recruits pass a pre-employment polygraph test:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/pre-employment-polygraph

The RCMP are archaic, don't pay especially well by Canadian major-service standards, but can retire after 25 years with a full so-so pension, and there are always wanna-be's at the door thinking they'll look good in red serge.
    "I am Groot"
    - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by broker View Post
      Just heard on the radio that 10-12 Virginia State Troopers are leaving each month. Starting salary is merely 36k and seems to be the main reason.
      Yeah, with the officer shortage, if you are willing to relocate you can write your own ticket. My agency started offering signing bonuses last year, and our annual pay raises ran around 8.75% plus special duty allowances this fiscal year.

You gotta pay in order to hang onto people.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Another problem seems to be the polygraph. For someone that hates to lie (like my daughter) questions that you know are bad to answer yes to... you have to or fail the test.

Q- Have you ever taken someone else's prescription drugs?

A- yes = fail out
        A- no = not all the way truthful (she had taken a xanex my wife gave her ONCE in a tough time)

= fail test/fail out

That was for the SBI too. She is not certain that that is the reason she wasn't called back... but it worried the crap out of her. About needed another one . Me too.
        SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
          Another problem seems to be the polygraph. For someone that hates to lie (like my daughter) questions that you know are bad to answer yes to... you have to or fail the test.

Q- Have you ever taken someone else's prescription drugs?

A- yes = fail out
          A- no = not all the way truthful (she had taken a xanex my wife gave her ONCE in a tough time)

= fail test/fail out

That was for the SBI too. She is not certain that that is the reason she wasn't called back... but it worried the crap out of her. About needed another one . Me too.
          We quit poly'ing applicants back in the late 80s. Too subjective. We rely on multiple interviews and a detailed background check. Plus drug test and psyche test as mandated by State law.

Of course, we only hire licensed applicants, which helps.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I think they were just messing with them the whole time to just see how they handled the 'pressure' of that right/wrong situation. One's like my daughter that completely went to pieces probably would not be too good in the field. But smarts/forensics/phychology... she would get ya.
            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
              Out here it starts at 70k a year iirc.
              Converts to 56k whereas pay in the U.K. For a constable starts out at 19k. Even the $36k mentioned matches to 29k.

Us police seem to be very well paid.
              "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                Converts to 56k whereas pay in the U.K. For a constable starts out at 19k. Even the $36k mentioned matches to 29k.

Us police seem to be very well paid.
                For most agencies. There are glaring exceptions, but on the average we are decent pay, especially since most officers come to the job with only a high school education.

I live in a low CoL area, and my base pay is about 53. Actual annual pay runs close to 70. That doesn't count a take-home vehicle and City-issue smartphone.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  For most agencies. There are glaring exceptions, but on the average we are decent pay, especially since most officers come to the job with only a high school education.

I live in a low CoL area, and my base pay is about 53. Actual annual pay runs close to 70. That doesn't count a take-home vehicle and City-issue smartphone.
                  The Met gets a couple of K more but 53k a year would be what a Chief Inspector gets in the UK. To get over 100k you would have to be at least an Assistant Chief Constable. Next time you have a British officer over on an exchange remember how poor they are!

https://www.policeoracle.com/pay_and...ay_scales.html
                  "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                    The Met gets a couple of K more but 53k a year would be what a Chief Inspector gets in the UK. To get over 100k you would have to be at least an Assistant Chief Constable. Next time you have a British officer over on an exchange remember how poor they are!

https://www.policeoracle.com/pay_and...ay_scales.html
                    I have met various European and UK officers via IACP events. I am always amazed at the differences.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X