Smoked pot? No college? The police still might hire you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked pot? No college? The police still might hire you

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) Police departments are relaxing age-old standards for accepting recruits, from lowering educational requirements to forgiving some prior drug use, to try to attract more people to their ranks.

The changes are designed to deal with decreased interest in a job that offers low pay, rigorous physical demands and the possibility of getting killed on duty all while under intense public scrutiny. There's also the question of how to encourage more minorities to become police officers.

"We have a national crisis," said Eugene O'Donnell, a former New York City police officer and now a lecturer at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York. "For the first time in my life, I would say I could never recommend the job. Who's going to put on a camera, go into urban America where people are going to critique every move you make? You're going to be demonized."

There's no national standard for becoming an officer; it's left up to each state to set requirements. In general, prior drug use or past brushes with the law, however minor, have been enough to bar someone from becoming an officer. On top of that are physical fitness standards that have long been academy graduation requirements. And even after graduation, recruits often face a background check that might include a credit-history review.
    AP - Full Article

Really outdated data. Most agencies allowed applicants who admitted minor drug use twenty years ago.

The pay isn't low, either. Most main line police agencies pay while collar salaries for blue collar education.

When I retire I will have Blue Cross coverage for life, and a inflation-proof pension. Meanwhile, my job security is protected by state law.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Haha.

My daughter has a Masters in Criminal Justice.

She played three sports in HS and was All-Conference in all three.

She played 4 years of college tennis.

She was also All-Conference Academic team.

She applied for a job as a regular policewoman in SC. She FAILED the entrance examination not because of what she did in college, what she was like now, or anything. It was because on the physical exam (remember her sports stuff) a giant/ie=fat lady-policewoman was over-seeing her push-up test.

She did 25 and the lady said- start over... those were not done correctly.
      She said she 'would' show the correct way but she had recently hurt her back. Start over immediately she said. My daughter made it thru about 20 more and the woman said they are still not correct. You do not pass!
      Can you believe that crap? Even tho I was glad she didn't get the job. Her specialty is forensics but you still have to start out as a regular police.

What a gem they missed out on. She is now doing Juvenile Probation in Fla.
      She is very happy with that... trying to help out problem youths.

I am very proud of her.
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
        Haha.

My daughter has a Masters in Criminal Justice.

She played three sports in HS and was All-Conference in all three.

She played 4 years of college tennis.

She was also All-Conference Academic team.

She applied for a job as a regular policewoman in SC. She FAILED the entrance examination not because of what she did in college, what she was like now, or anything. It was because on the physical exam (remember her sports stuff) a giant/ie=fat lady-policewoman was over-seeing her push-up test.

She did 25 and the lady said- start over... those were not done correctly.
        She said she 'would' show the correct way but she had recently hurt her back. Start over immediately she said. My daughter made it thru about 20 more and the woman said they are still not correct. You do not pass!
        Can you believe that crap? Even tho I was glad she didn't get the job. Her specialty is forensics but you still have to start out as a regular police.

What a gem they missed out on. She is now doing Juvenile Probation in Fla.
        She is very happy with that... trying to help out problem youths.

I am very proud of her.
        We had a rather (ahem) full-figured girl in charge of our physical agility test years ago. We had a complaint and I got tapped to do the internal investigation.

I pulled DL photos of every failed candidate for the last three years and discovered that every slender female applicant had failed.

Including a college-level track starter.

Now we have a different evaluation system.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          We had a rather (ahem) full-figured girl in charge of our physical agility test years ago. We had a complaint and I got tapped to do the internal investigation.

I pulled DL photos of every failed candidate for the last three years and discovered that every slender female applicant had failed.

Including a college-level track starter.

Now we have a different evaluation system.
          So that's why the stereo typical American police officer tends to be on the large side. You only let porkers in!
          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

He has a 'fat' head .

Haha.
            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
              Makes perfect sense to me, especially when the NSA and the CIA are first in line to hire computer hackers and other such criminals.

Hard to find people these days who haven't tried drugs like marijuana, and even college graduates are basically uneducated except for a lot of radical political philosophy. I would rather hire a high school graduate than some highly politicized, totally brain washed college whackjob with a degree in Media Appreciation, Feminism or Black History.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Really outdated data. Most agencies allowed applicants who admitted minor drug use twenty years ago.

The pay isn't low, either. Most main line police agencies pay while collar salaries for blue collar education.

When I retire I will have Blue Cross coverage for life, and a inflation-proof pension. Meanwhile, my job security is protected by state law.
                Will you? That's what military veterans were promised, and those promises have largely been rescinded. And Social Security is being attacked on a daily basis, despite the fact that it has been paid for by the recipients, in advance.

What you mean to say is that you will have those "benefits" only so long as they are politically expedient and affordable, neither of which is likely given the way things are going...and NOTHING given to you by politicians is "forever" or "guaranteed".

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Will you? That's what military veterans were promised, and those promises have largely been rescinded. And Social Security is being attacked on a daily basis, despite the fact that it has been paid for by the recipients, in advance.

What you mean to say is that you will have those "benefits" only so long as they are politically expedient and affordable, neither of which is likely given the way things are going...and NOTHING given to you by politicians is "forever" or "guaranteed".
                  Actually, yes, I will. They aren't controlled by the government. When they set up the programs many years ago they cut the government out of the loop. No State or Federal funding, etc., no State access, and so forth.

When I first came in that seemed strange, but now it is a very good thing.

I've written off Social Security.

Comment

Hard to find people these days who haven't tried drugs like marijuana, and even college graduates are basically uneducated except for a lot of radical political philosophy. I would rather hire a high school graduate than some highly politicized, totally brain washed college whackjob with a degree in Media Appreciation, Feminism or Black History.
                    The State tried to push a mandatory college requirement, but it got nowhere. We target one-term veterans by preference. We don't bother with a college requirement because it is pretty pointless, although if we could get our hands on an accounting major it would be great.

Comment

Actually, yes, I will. They aren't controlled by the government. When they set up the programs many years ago they cut the government out of the loop. No State or Federal funding, etc., no State access, and so forth.

When I first came in that seemed strange, but now it is a very good thing.

I've written off Social Security.
                      OH, you mean like the PERA scandal when folks in Colorado found out that a non-government retirement fund couldn't pay them their checks, and the Federal government got involved ? Or do you mean like the lifetime pensions promised in writing by all of those civilian corporations that have failed so recently?

You know as well as I do that there are NO programs outside of the government "loop". The Feds have their dirty little fingers in everything at every level.

The Federal government itself promised me many things when I joined the military, almost all of which have since been taken away. Do you really believe that a non-government organization is going to keep its promises any better in the face of so much political, government and economical pressure?

Want to buy some lakefront property here in Colorado?

Comment

OH, you mean like the PERA scandal when folks in Colorado found out that a non-government retirement fund couldn't pay them their checks, and the Federal government got involved ? Or do you mean like the lifetime pensions promised in writing by all of those civilian corporations that have failed so recently?

You know as well as I do that there are NO programs outside of the government "loop". The Feds have their dirty little fingers in everything at every level.

The Federal government itself promised me many things when I joined the military, almost all of which have since been taken away. Do you really believe that a non-government organization is going to keep its promises any better in the face of so much political, government and economical pressure?
                        In this particular case, yes. It has held true since 1947.

The thing is, once the shooting stops the US government starts screwing the military. They figure they don't need them anymore.

But the police they need every day.

And more importantly, we allied ourselves with the smoke-eaters on this issue. Because people always love firefighters.

So yeah, I figure we have a fighting chance.

It is not my only retirement planning, of course, but I'm confident it will be there.

Comment

Want to buy some lakefront property here in Colorado?

Only things guaranteed in our lives are death and taxes.
                          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Just heard on the radio that 10-12 Virginia State Troopers are leaving each month. Starting salary is merely 36k and seems to be the main reason.

Comment

Out here it starts at 70k a year iirc.
                              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X