X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andrewza
    replied
    Originally posted by ljadw View Post
    NONSENSE : the electoral college is as old as the US and democracy still exists in the US .
    I am just quoting trump

And USA is not a democracy that is clear

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    Originally posted by Metryll View Post
    You argued that "No : the majority of the people did not vote for Hillary, thus it did vote against Hillary ."

Clinton won the popular vote that is majority of the people. Andrewza is correct on this point.
    Incorrect. It was a narrow majority of voters.

Leave a comment:

• Metryll
    replied
    And these attempts always failed, because the results of changing the system would be worse than if the system was kept .

In the 20th century 7 of the 25 presidential elections resulted in a minority president = a president with less than 50% of the PV .

I can guarantee you that if the EV were abolished, every president would have less than 50 % of the PV .What would be the moral authority of a president elected with 20% or less of the PV ?

If today the EV system was abolished and only PV counted, Sanders would have been a candidate ,also an establishment Republican , Stein, Johnson,Mcmullin would have more votes, etc, etc ...
    You argued that "No : the majority of the people did not vote for Hillary, thus it did vote against Hillary ."

Clinton won the popular vote that is majority of the people. Andrewza is correct on this point.

Leave a comment:

• ljadw
    replied
    Originally posted by andrewza View Post
    The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy.

NONSENSE : the electoral college is as old as the US and democracy still exists in the US .

Leave a comment:

• ljadw
    replied
    Originally posted by Metryll View Post
    "There have been other attempts to change the system, particularly after cases in which a candidate wins the popular vote, but loses in the Electoral College."

http://history.house.gov/Institution...toral-College/
    And these attempts always failed, because the results of changing the system would be worse than if the system was kept .

In the 20th century 7 of the 25 presidential elections resulted in a minority president = a president with less than 50% of the PV .

I can guarantee you that if the EV were abolished, every president would have less than 50 % of the PV .What would be the moral authority of a president elected with 20% or less of the PV ?

If today the EV system was abolished and only PV counted, Sanders would have been a candidate ,also an establishment Republican , Stein, Johnson,Mcmullin would have more votes, etc, etc ...

Leave a comment:

• andrewza
    replied
    The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy.

Leave a comment:

• Metryll
    replied
    No : the majority of the people did not vote for Hillary, thus it did vote against Hillary .
    "There have been other attempts to change the system, particularly after cases in which a candidate wins the popular vote, but loses in the Electoral College."

http://history.house.gov/Institution...toral-College/

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    Originally posted by Acheron View Post
    Let's hope that calm and rational attitude of yours if not put to test. To be perfectly frank, I do believe quite a lot of people would not share it.
    Well, it's what we've been doing for the duration of Bobo's presidency.

Leave a comment:

• Acheron
    replied
    Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
    Depends on what you mean by fine. We wouldn't be happy, but it is what it is. No protests. After all, we have to go to work the next day.
    Let's hope that calm and rational attitude of yours if not put to test. To be perfectly frank, I do believe quite a lot of people would not share it.

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    Originally posted by Acheron View Post
    So, if the Electoral College voted Clinton instead Trump for president, you would be fine with that?
    Depends on what you mean by fine. We wouldn't be happy, but it is what it is. No protests. After all, we have to go to work the next day.

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
    I guess that comes from that divide between peaceful and legal - one can picture plenty of peaceful activities that break the law, for example.
    Blocking traffic isn't one of them. Screwing with traffic is no joke. Just ask Christie......

I think we'd just be better off describing these fools as so inept, they're actually doing good work for their opponents... which some here might have taken as proof that this was a black flag operation.
    True. How many of their sympathizers, trying to get home from work, are they turning against them?

Leave a comment:

• Acheron
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    You are wrong. Firstly, in most if not all states the EC can vote as it wishes. The USA has never relied upon a pure popular vote to choose the President.
    So, if the Electoral College voted Clinton instead Trump for president, you would be fine with that?

Leave a comment:

• andrewza
    replied
    You are wrong. Firstly, in most if not all states the EC can vote as it wishes. The USA has never relied upon a pure popular vote to choose the President.

It has worked longer than your country has existed.

If you don't like it, fine. You don't live here.
    Actually it just over half

And so what. That just means it out dated. Monarchies worked for far longer than our two countries combined. Your system was set up by elites who did not trust the voters to make the right call those voters being white male property owners. So yeah it actually not that old and as been changed over the years. Next change should remove it.

Does not mean I cant point out how broken a system is
    Last edited by andrewza; 13 Nov 16, 01:05.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by andrewza View Post
    I fully under stand why it works and here is why it is stupid

Some states the EC don't have to even vote for who the state voters want them to vote for

in winner take all states the losers votes don't materIn some of those states it basically set up that one side will all ways win meaning a Republican in a blue state may as while just stay home. In fact this notion that the EC means the candidates must care more about the smaller states is all so wrong. Only the swing states mater.

Not all votes are equal.

So yes it stupid. The EC is the dumbest method of voting in a leader I have seen in the modern western world.

It has worked longer than your country has existed.

If you don't like it, fine. You don't live here.

Leave a comment:

• andrewza
    replied
    Not at all. You simply do not understand how it works.

Nor is it your problem.
    I fully under stand why it works and here is why it is stupid

Some states the EC don't have to even vote for who the state voters want them to vote for

in winner take all states the losers votes don't materIn some of those states it basically set up that one side will all ways win meaning a Republican in a blue state may as while just stay home. In fact this notion that the EC means the candidates must care more about the smaller states is all so wrong. Only the swing states mater.

Not all votes are equal.

So yes it stupid. The EC is the dumbest method of voting in a leader I have seen in the modern western world.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X