X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by andrewza View Post
    I wonder if 100% of Americans agree with you, I wonder if 100% of Americans realize that the democratic state is not democratic. All you can say is you like the system you don't speak for the people
    Again, you have been told numerous times that we are NOT a democracy, we are a Republic. Are you just trolling, or do you genuinely don't understand the difference?

Leave a comment:

• Cambronnne
    replied
    I am not saying trump broke any laws, I am saying your laws are stupid trump agrees by the way

I might also.point out that trumps opinions aren't relevant to anything that I've said. I'm talking about the law and since you don't understand the issue you are trying to change the subject to Trump. Again, if you don't understand the reason for the law maybe you should learn about it before attacking it. You can dislike the result but don't argue the law is dumb if you don't understand it

Leave a comment:

• andrewza
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    Yet once again, loudly: BECAUSE WE LIKE THIS SYSTEM! IT WORKS! WE DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK!

In short, there is no reason to change it.
    I wonder if 100% of Americans agree with you, I wonder if 100% of Americans realize that the democratic state is not democratic. All you can say is you like the system you don't speak for the people

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    I can see local being different there are probably Dem run places in Texas
    A few, yes.

Leave a comment:

• andrewza
    replied
    Local and State elections are popular vote elections.
    I can see local being different there are probably Dem run places in Texas

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    And why not change that. I mean the constitution can be changed and amended.
    Yet once again, loudly: BECAUSE WE LIKE THIS SYSTEM! IT WORKS! WE DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK!

In short, there is no reason to change it.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    if you a dem in Texas there is no real need to bother voting
    Local and State elections are popular vote elections.

Leave a comment:

• andrewza
    replied
    Originally posted by Massena View Post
    That is correct. The United States is a constitutional republic. The president is not directly elected by the people, but by the electoral college. That is the way the system was established by the Founders and written in the Constitution.
    And why not change that. I mean the constitution can be changed and amended.

Leave a comment:

• andrewza
    replied
    And you would have seen a different voter turn-out. A lot of GOP voters in Texas, for example, didn't bother to vote because they were confident that we would remain red.
    if you a dem in Texas there is no real need to bother voting

Leave a comment:

• andrewza
    replied
    Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
    Andrewza....

Electoral colleges don'T elect anybody.

If you understood how the college voting system works, (as I'm sure you do), then you will also understand the necessity for this system, making urban and rural votes on a parity when it comes to relative worth.

A 'First Past the Post" system is a TERRIBLE way to elect anyone, particularly in a large election with millions of voters.

But of course, I'm sure all of this is academic to you.

Drusus

While the true vote is only in December the EC does not help the minor states since the fight only maters in in swing states every where else is meh

Leave a comment:

• VinceW
    replied
    Again, you don't seem to grasp what is happening. He made a vague, conditional coment in an interview. One of the key skills of a POTUS, which Trump is not yet and which Obama never mastered, is the art of making deals with Congress.

He threw out feeler. Trump because a billionaire by his skill in making deals. Bobocare dying is the issue his followers want, and the country needs. A couple trivial concessions (if made) do not detract from that. Campaign promises are ambitions; everyone knows that you never get 100%.

Remember Bobo on his first day as POTUS swearing to close Gitmo? Gitmo will be still in operation when Trump takes office.
    Wrong Obama didn't go back on his campaign promises while he was waiting to be in office Trump was a Democrat before he ran for the Republicans there's going to be many more disappointments because of that for rightwingers.

Leave a comment:

• Skoblin
    replied
    And you would have seen a different voter turn-out. A lot of GOP voters in Texas, for example, didn't bother to vote because they were confident that we would remain red.
    And this factor works both ways: it's possible that a lot of Democratic voters in Texas didn't vote because they were certain they state would go red anyway. Same in reverse for a place like Massachusetts.

Leave a comment:

• Drusus Nero
    replied
    Andrewza....

Electoral colleges don'T elect anybody.

If you understood how the college voting system works, (as I'm sure you do), then you will also understand the necessity for this system, making urban and rural votes on a parity when it comes to relative worth.

A 'First Past the Post" system is a TERRIBLE way to elect anyone, particularly in a large election with millions of voters.

But of course, I'm sure all of this is academic to you.

Drusus

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
    If the overall majority of the votes had importance you would have seen an entirely different election campaign take place. Hillary would have been campaigning in urban areas of heavily red states and Trump would have been campaigning in rural areas of heavily blue states - both in an effort to maximize votes - instead of campaigning in a relatively small number of battleground states in an effort to maximize Electoral College votes. In other words, there is no guarantee that if the campaigns were focused strictly on majority of votes that the outcome would be the same as that obtained on November 8.

Leave a comment:

• Trung Si
    replied
    Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
    If the overall majority of the votes had importance you would have seen an entirely different election campaign take place. Hillary would have been campaigning in urban areas of heavily red states and Trump would have been campaigning in rural areas of heavily blue states - both in an effort to maximize votes - instead of campaigning in a relatively small number of battleground states in an effort to maximize Electoral College votes. In other words, there is no guarantee that if the campaigns were focused strictly on majority of votes that the outcome would be the same as that obtained on November 8.
    Exactly!
    What I don't understand is why people abroad and here are so upset at our constituted process of electing a President which has worked successfully for 228 years, my guess is that they want the rules of the game changed because they don't like the final score.
    Last edited by Trung Si; 13 Nov 16, 10:53.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X