Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of the best things from Tuesday's election.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    It isn't up to employers. Insurance carriers and the Federal safety and transportation regulations require drug and alcohol free standards.

You can't show up with a measureable BAL, so even if it is legal in your area, a THC level will be grounds for termination as well. And in fact already is.

So there won't be any significant change.
    I agree, there are many occupations where it will never happen no matter how legal pot is in a particular State, for instance in my former occupation where drug testing is federally mandated and a positive test is automatic dismissal and loss of federal hazmat endorsement and it is not up to the employer or the State.
    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      It isn't up to employers. Insurance carriers and the Federal safety and transportation regulations require drug and alcohol free standards.

You can't show up with a measureable BAL, so even if it is legal in your area, a THC level will be grounds for termination as well. And in fact already is.

So there won't be any significant change.
      That's what I said: the insurers will not be happy with any attempt to allow drug-using employees around heavy machinery or protected data, even if business owners were game as well as allowed by law.

Insurance is the limiting factor in any such decision about drugs and employment. Even if the insurance companies were to accept it - and it were allowed by law - then at the very least there would be a large hike in insurance costs for employers. Which would still make employing a recreational pot smoker an incredibly unappealing prospect.

The simple truth is that if you really want to get a job, don't smoke pot. Which may be a bigger problem in the future if pot is fully legalized and more readily available.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X