ACG official US election thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Escape2Victory View Post
    How long before we hear States start to declare their EC result?
    Technically that would be the 19th of Dec., this year.

QUOTE:
    Many modern voters might be surprised to learn that when they step into a ballot box to select their candidate for president, they actually are casting a vote for fellow Americans called electors. These electors, appointed by the states, are pledged to support the presidential candidate the voters have supported. The Electoral College holds its vote the Monday after the second Wednesday in December following the election.
    Why We Use Electoral College, Not Popular Vote
    http://dailysignal.com/2016/11/07/wh...wvRT0ifQ%3D%3D
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz

Comment

Just heard on the news a little bit ago that Hillary won the Guam straw poll 71.63 percent to Trump’s 24.16 percent. 32,000 people cast votes, but the votes don’t count in the real election. However, the Guam straw poll has been correct in predicting the winner in every presidential election since 1980.

https://sputniknews.com/us/201611081...guam-election/
      Homo homini lupus

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
        Technically that would be the 19th of Dec., this year.

QUOTE:
        Many modern voters might be surprised to learn that when they step into a ballot box to select their candidate for president, they actually are casting a vote for fellow Americans called electors. These electors, appointed by the states, are pledged to support the presidential candidate the voters have supported. The Electoral College holds its vote the Monday after the second Wednesday in December following the election.
        Why We Use Electoral College, Not Popular Vote
        http://dailysignal.com/2016/11/07/wh...wvRT0ifQ%3D%3D
        Do the 'electors' ever refuse to act as their voters instruct?
        Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

Comment

Do the 'electors' ever refuse to act as their voters instruct?
          The electors' votes are usually a matter of their states' law, so they're obliged to vote as 50%+1 of their states' voters voted.
          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
            The electors' votes are usually a matter of their states' law, so they're obliged to vote as 50%+1 of their states' voters voted.
            Never any mavericks then who risk jail for the righteous cause? They seem incredibly powerful individuals in a close race.
            Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

Comment

Never any mavericks then who risk jail for the righteous cause? They seem incredibly powerful individuals in a close race.
              Not sure that every state offers jail for voting against the flow ...

QUOTE:
              Today, few states debate different ways of allocating electoral votes. But that has not always been the case. Though 48 of 50 states have passed laws to allocate their electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote, this so-called “winner-take-all” rule was not the norm in early presidential elections and was typically adopted for narrow partisan, parochial reasons.

The breakdown of fairness in our presidential election demands that states revisit the winner-take-all rule. This allows candidates to win despite losing the national popular vote — which happens in one in seven of our close presidential elections.
              http://www.politico.com/story/2011/0...-closer-061606
              TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
              “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz

Comment

How long before we hear States start to declare their EC result?
                Officially the EC meets, in their home state, in early Dec. They vote then. Usually you have a couple official state votes. The Official state popular vote, the EC vote in Dec and usually the Governor verifying it. Some sort of that mix. Since each state determines how they do it there is no standard.
                “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                “To talk of many things:
                Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                Of cabbages—and kings—
                And why the sea is boiling hot—
                And whether pigs have wings.”
                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

My write-in vote:

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                    My write-in vote:

If only he had a chance.
                    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

I've not heard of that happening, at least not in my lifetime. Pretty much all the states oblige their electors to vote as their state's popular vote went. Maybe one of our resident old farts can regale us with their recollections of Rutherford B Hayes' election.

Comment

I've not heard of that happening, at least not in my lifetime. Pretty much all the states oblige their electors to vote as their state's popular vote went. Maybe one of our resident old farts can regale us with their recollections of Rutherford B Hayes' election.

Actually right now in Washington State a Native American that is one of the official Clinton electors has stated that he will not place his EC vote for her. No matter what. So in theory she needs 271 now.
                        “To talk of many things:
                        Of cabbages—and kings—
                        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                          Actually right now in Washington State a Native American that is one of the official Clinton electors has stated that he will not place his EC vote for her. No matter what. So in theory she needs 271 now.
                          Which states, if any, do not compel their electors to go with their state's popular vote? I know that my state does, so without a doubt, Hillary will get all of NYS' electors come December.

Comment

Which states, if any, do not compel their electors to go with their state's popular vote? I know that my state does, so without a doubt, Hillary will get all of NYS' electors come December.
                            They only compel by fines or jail etc. They can't stop or retract the electors vote if they are not scared of the consequences.
                            “To talk of many things:
                            Of cabbages—and kings—
                            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                              They only compel by fines or jail etc. They can't stop or retract the electors vote if they are not scared of the consequences.
                              Have you ever heard of an elector, in our era, buck his state's law?

Comment

Interesting. It appears that 4 Electors are threatening to be 'unfaithful electors'. Two from each party.

http://time.com/4560682/faithless-electors/

If any of them act on their promises, it would be rare. In the 240 year history of the U.S., there have been 157 faithless electors, according to the nonprofit FairVote. Nearly half changed their votes because the candidate to whom they were pledged died before the Electoral College met, three chose to abstain and the other 82 broke their pledge for reasons of personal preference or conscience. But none has ever successfully changed the outcome of an election.
                                “To talk of many things:
                                Of cabbages—and kings—
                                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                  Berlin.1945
                                  by casanova
                                  The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                  Yesterday, 23:41
                                • casanova
                                  AW 169M
                                  by casanova
                                  The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                  Yesterday, 23:26
                                • JBark
                                  What changed?
                                  by JBark
                                  There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                  Yesterday, 18:54
                                Working...
                                X