X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberalism and Rape Culture

I was reading this:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-lesson...exual-assault/

and as I was reading some thoughts occurred to me.

Currently you see a lot of complaining from the left about how women are sexualized and victimized and just getting a bad deal from society while being treated as objects by men. Right now lots of liberals are complaining about Trump's groping allegations. Now I totally agree with empowering women and driving out sexual assault but I couldn't help but notice some cause and effect going on here.

I was raised conservative Christian, raised to respect women body and soul, to practice self control, physical emotional and sexual, and to protect those who are exploited. However, the left would like nothing more than for me to shut up about my "Judeo-Christian moral values", especially in a classroom because leftism tends toward moral relativism and imposing your personal standards on somebody else is "intolerant". Okay, now come the descendants of the free love movement from the 60s to tell kids to experiment and run free and not be concerned with antiquated social mores from a "sexually repressive" society. Results have followed.

I come from a culture that views sexuality as an intimate and sacred expression of affection and union between spouses but for the past few decades young people have been taught to avoid this "repressive" ideology in favor of viewing sex like a toy. So now we are hearing about campus rape cases and groping and scandals from individuals like Clinton, Trump, and Cosby who all of whom incidentally came of age on or around the beginning of the free love era.

I'm inclined to say that there might be some connection here. You can't have moral relativism while simultaneously demanding moral results. And I wonder if we're seeing the outcome of a liberal society discovering that they don't want the teaching of sexual morality but they don't want the consequences that come from NOT teaching sexual morality either. And the reality is you can't have it both ways. Either you instruct your youth that there is an absolute right and wrong and that sex isn't a plaything, or you let them "run free" and see what happens.

Now since I'm discussing from the standpoint of a Christian this is where someone runs in and shouts "but your religion teaches that homosexuals are bad people". And yes there are religious teachers who say that homosexuality is a moral failing and not just a matter of brain chemistry. But not all Christians agree with them and this is an increasingly rare notion. When you adopt a moral code you still have debate. The important thing is HAVING a moral code, some kind of internal compass that doesn't steer with the wind.

Kids need to be taught solid morality with absolute rights and wrongs. Is that black and white thinking? Yep. It's also the kind of thinking that establishes personal discipline. In the end, you can't have it both ways. You can have a morally relativistic society and the consequences will be exactly what you teach: people doing whatever is right in their own eyes, even if that "right" happens to be "locker room talk" or grabbing someone's anatomy. Or you can teach morality. You may find it a bit stuffy but the result is a disciplined generation that is less inclined to do whatever fool notion pops into their head at that particular moment.

Men aren't pigs but people are products of their environment. They reflect the values they are taught. If you surround them with a culture of anything goes, then anything will go. If you surround them with a culture of decency and dignity, that will bore into their character as well. But you have to teach them something.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Exactly. And if men are raised to want tramps, then women will become tramps to attract them. That's why such a massive rift between people of my generation and today's young people, who stand for nothing, respect nothing, create nothing, fight for nothing but demand everything.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

The patriarchal history of Western Civilization is obvious. The degree to which that heritage influences the relationship between men and women today is debatable. That some residual patriarchal attitudes remain should be expected but Western civilization has never condoned rape. The problem therefore is that some influential and pseudo sophisticated feminists are equivocation patriarchy with rape culture.

The next problem is how rape is being so broadly defined as to make it useless from the criminal justice perspective. When feminist say that when a woman says she has been raped she should be believed deconstructs the principle of innocent until proven guilty.

The most serious problem is that feminism is not an egalitarian movement but a supremacy movement. Masculinity is being characterized as a disease to be immunized against.

Rape culture is symptomatic of the increasing tribalism in Western society. Identity politics is a corrosive force that makes healthy relationships nearly impossible.
      We hunt the hunters

Comment

You were reading "Cracked" and...
        Yeah, never mind.

I just wonder why any group that gains enough power becomes a gang of anti-sex prudes, regardless of what they were advocating on the way up the ladder.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
          You were reading "Cracked" and...
          Yeah, never mind.

I just wonder why any group that gains enough power becomes a gang of anti-sex prudes, regardless of what they were advocating on the way up the ladder.
          Cracked used to be a good pop culture comedy site. Their politics are stupid but I still glance at them every so often.
          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

It's hard to discuss "rape culture" because, like many highly politicized terms, the discussion is dominated by the fringe. Having gone through some of the extreme feminist literature on the topic, and then seen the shocking reaction by an angry minority, it's become a topic that is just toxic to most of the nation.

Discussing the lesser situation of women in society or the economy? Fine.

Discussing how admitting one likes boobies is the sign of inner support for a patriarchal rape culture? Uh, no thanks.

And it's harder to see who is worse: those extremist feminists who see rape culture in every action, or those angry men who decide to send death threats and harass said feminists.

Comment

Well, when feminists say idiocies like "Rape is any sex a woman regrets having..." or that if a woman withdraws consent, even after giving it and is in the act or has had sex, that counts as rape then the whole concept of rape amounts to any sex a man has with a woman is rape.

That's insane. But, that's where Feminist Theory is today.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                Well, when feminists say idiocies like "Rape is any sex a woman regrets having..." or that if a woman withdraws consent, even after giving it and is in the act or has had sex, that counts as rape then the whole concept of rape amounts to any sex a man has with a woman is rape.

I'd say that a woman has a right to say "Stop" at any time during sex. Continuing after she tells you to stop certainly does amount to rape in my book, regardless of the concern given before.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                  I'd say that a woman has a right to say "Stop" at any time during sex. Continuing after she tells you to stop certainly does amount to rape in my book, regardless of the concern given before.
                  That's different, and I'd agree. But, what Feminists are arguing is essentially men have no rights when it comes to sex. Only the woman's view, opinion, thinking matters.

Comment

That's different, and I'd agree. But, what Feminists are arguing is essentially men have no rights when it comes to sex. Only the woman's view, opinion, thinking matters.
                    Youll have to back that one up, because I've never, ever seen anyone claim that a man has no rights in the bedroom. There isn't any major feminist figure around who believes a man isn't allowed to say no in the bedroom. You'll have to provide some sources there.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                      Youll have to back that one up, because I've never, ever seen anyone claim that a man has no rights in the bedroom. There isn't any major feminist figure around who believes a man isn't allowed to say no in the bedroom. You'll have to provide some sources there.
                      http://nomas.org/roles-of-men-with-f...minist-theory/

Above all, men need to engage with feminist theory and practice, letting it work on them, in order to liberate all genders and build a society constructed on justice and nourished by love.
                      If you read the whole article, it argues men should basically knell down and kiss feminist's feet...

This article argues against the idea while proving it.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ul/16/feminism

The world is against men. This week a man was turned away from Legoland for not having a child, apparently to protect the families and children that visit. Men are not allowed to sit next to unaccompanied children on planes because apparently they're all paedophiles-in-waiting. I've had my own experience of someone alerting the whole of John Lewis that my daughter was abandoned, because she wasn't near someone who looked like a mother. Then there's the old issue that only 8% of children in single parent families are with their fathers. Perhaps all this contributes to high suicide rates in young men. So we need equality not feminism? I don't agree.
                      Essentially, within modern Feminism men have no place, and no role. They're at most sperm donors when they're considered at all.

Summed up in a bumper sticker / T-shirt slogan...

Comment

http://nomas.org/roles-of-men-with-f...minist-theory/

If you read the whole article, it argues men should basically knell down and kiss feminist's feet...

This article argues against the idea while proving it.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ul/16/feminism

Essentially, within modern Feminism men have no place, and no role. They're at most sperm donors when they're considered at all.

Summed up in a bumper sticker / T-shirt slogan...
                        None of your sources back up what you claimed, though. Arguing feminism is right is not the same as saying men have no rights in the bedroom or that only women matter on matters of sex.

You'll need something to demonstrate feminists are saying that men have no rights when it comes to sex.

Comment

You think that if a woman decides she wants to stop during sex and the man understands this and continues that it is not rape?
                          "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                          G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                          Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                            You think that if a woman decides she wants to stop during sex and the man understands this and continues that it is not rape?
                            I think it's more complex than her simply saying no and him wanting to continue. I think Feminists have reduced rape to a caricature, or to a position where only women could possibly be raped.

That is arrogant bigotry on the part of Feminists.

Comment

If she says stop during the sex fiesta ,first ask you about your competence in this very domain.
                              Or create a thread about libs and rape culture ?
                              That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X