Supreme Court to hear case of transgender bathroom policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court to hear case of transgender bathroom policy

WASHINGTON (AP) The Supreme Court will take up transgender rights for the first time in the case of a Virginia school board that wants to prevent a transgender teenager from using the boys' bathroom at his high school.

The justices said Friday they will hear the appeal from the Gloucester County school board sometime next year. The high court's order means that student Gavin Grimm will not be able to use the boys' bathroom in the meantime.

The court could use the case to resolve similar disputes across the country, said Shannon Minter, legal director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights. "Obviously, for transgender people, the stakes of this case are incredibly high. Whatever the court rules in Grimm may ensure that transgender people are accepted and included as equal members of our society, or it may relegate them to outsiders for decades to come," Minter said.

A lower court had ordered the school board to accommodate Grimm, but the justices in August put that order on hold while they considered whether to hear the appeal.
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/b5c88...athroom-policy

How come I expect a split 4 - 4 ruling...?

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      How come I expect a split 4 - 4 ruling...?
      Because you've got half a brain. And that suggests the lower ruling will be upheld, which makes the hearing academic.

Comment

Man, will the freak shows ever end?
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

My old Irish Granny had it down pat Cushions with tassels = gents, Cushions without tassel = ladies.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Now the far left is as stupid as the evolution denying religious right. The human brain has shrinking for thousands of years maybe critical negative mass has been reached.
            We hunt the hunters

Comment

And, this is supposedly the "big" issue for the transgendered, when they have a near 50% suicide rate...

Yea, sure...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                And, this is supposedly the "big" issue for the transgendered, when they have a near 50% suicide rate...

Yea, sure...
                Crazy is as crazy does.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  I guess not.
                  As far as I am concerned SCOTUS has more important rulings to make other than ruling on bathrooms.

Comment

I'm surprised Hillary has declared herself the first transgendered candidate for the presidency, just like Billy claiming to be the first black one...
                    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                      I'm surprised Hillary has declared herself the first transgendered candidate for the presidency, just like Billy claiming to be the first black one...
                      Just how many sexes does her species have...?

Comment

Can we just pay the little bastard to use diapers and he can wait to empty them out once back home? Why does the rest of the school have to be inconvenienced for the little bastard? Oh, I'm using the word bastard because I have no idea what proper pronoun to use here.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                          Not until we bring back bullying.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                            Not until we bring back bullying.
                            Yes, abusing children is a good thing.

Comment

The simple solution is just have three sets of bathrooms. Male, Female, and Confused...
                              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X