The Emperor has no Clothes: the Statist Faith Exposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Emperor has no Clothes: the Statist Faith Exposed

Here's the skinny: when New Jersey's governor Chris Christie was running for a second term in 2013, he did not receive the endorsement of Fort Lee's mayor Mark Sokolich. As payback for Sokolich's slight to the aspiring presidential candidate, Christie had the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey conduct a traffic study -- which effectively closed access to the George Washington Bridge -- the US' busiest bridge -- on the first day of school, thus creating a traffic nightmare which resulted in five hour trips across a town measuring 2.888 square miles. Correspondence among several Christie and PANY staffers revealed these lane closures to be an act of political payback. Currently several Christie aides are standing trial in Newark Federal court on conspiracy charges, but Christie is unfortunately not among them.

Just this past Friday Christie signed into law a new 20˘ per gallon tax on gasoline. Let me get this straight: the state's governor has proven himself capable of using his citizens' traffic woes as a political weapon against his foes -- so their representatives in the legislature are going to give him more of their money so that he can conduct more "traffic studies"? If ever there was a case to "throw the bums out," this is it. If any one of those assholes should be reelected, then the people of New Jersey have no one but themselves to blame.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/christie-t...-trial-week-5/
    http://observer.com/2016/10/kellys-a...dgegate-trial/
    http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...ent_gas_t.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/19/ny...-end.html?_r=0
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_A...and_New_Jersey
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Lee,_New_Jersey
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Through ALL the bums out of NJ??? Dang slick wouldn't that pretty much empty that state?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
      Here's the skinny: when New Jersey's governor Chris Christie was running for a second term in 2013, he did not receive the endorsement of Fort Lee's mayor Mark Sokolich. As payback for Sokolich's slight to the aspiring presidential candidate, Christie had the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey conduct a traffic study -- which effectively closed access to the George Washington Bridge -- the US' busiest bridge -- on the first day of school, thus creating a traffic nightmare which resulted in five hour trips across a town measuring 2.888 square miles. Correspondence among several Christie and PANY staffers revealed these lane closures to be an act of political payback. Currently several Christie aides are standing trial in Newark Federal court on conspiracy charges, but Christie is unfortunately not among them.

Just this past Friday Christie signed into law a new 20˘ per gallon tax on gasoline. Let me get this straight: the state's governor has proven himself capable of using his citizens' traffic woes as a political weapon against his foes -- so their representatives in the legislature are going to give him more of their money so that he can conduct more "traffic studies"? If ever there was a case to "throw the bums out," this is it. If any one of those assholes should be reelected, then the people of New Jersey have no one but themselves to blame.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/christie-t...-trial-week-5/
      http://observer.com/2016/10/kellys-a...dgegate-trial/
      http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...ent_gas_t.html
      http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/19/ny...-end.html?_r=0
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_A...and_New_Jersey
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Lee,_New_Jersey
      20 cents per gallon tax...its unfortunate but it could be worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_t...s_Tax_Jpeg.jpg
      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
      Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
        20 cents per gallon tax...its unfortunate but it could be worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_t...s_Tax_Jpeg.jpg
        Our governor played along too: as a trustee of the PA, he had to sign off on Christie's scheme, and did so, with the understanding that NJ would cop the blame for the resultant complaints.

It's not the tax per se that's objectionable: it's the uses to which those funds will be put -- and the people who'll be making those decisions that are beneath contempt.

Comment

Our governor played along too: as a trustee of the PA, he had to sign off on Christie's scheme, and did so, with the understanding that NJ would cop the blame for the resultant complaints.

It's not the tax per se that's objectionable: it's the uses to which those funds will be put -- and the people who'll be making those decisions that are beneath contempt.
          This is the problem. This tax might be more palatable if we knew the funds would actually go to improving roads.

Instead we will see light rail projects that connect nothing.

And when revenues fall short, the tax will go up.....
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Through ALL the bums out of NJ??? Dang slick wouldn't that pretty much empty that state?
            Maybe we could all run to Germany....
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
              Maybe we could all run to Germany....
              Very selective of who they let in.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Only 20% and you're moaning? You lot don't know you're born.
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  Only 20% and you're moaning? You lot don't know you're born.
                  As a European, you're no doubt more comfortable with state extortion than us quaint colonials are. Had you actually read the thread you'd know that the gripe isn't that taxes are assessed, but that the funds are used not to improve the taxpayers' lot, but to engage in a "dirty tricks" campaign against the governor's political opponents. I can't imagine any voter voting in favor of a four hour commute to cross a little podunk town in order to punish a mayor who endorsed the "wrong" candidate.

Can you?

So if our political "betters" are manifestly proven to be incapable of using public monies appropriately -- which they are -- then why are we giving them more of our money?

This is the problem. This tax might be more palatable if we knew the funds would actually go to improving roads.
                  Last time NJ had funds to improve roads, they closed two of the three major Hackensack River crossings (NJ-3 and US-46.) How fcking stupid is NJ's DoT?

Instead we will see light rail projects that connect nothing.
                  Given NJ's population density pattern, rail won't work outside of a handful of urban centers. Check out the chapter on LI's traffic control center in Caro's Power Broker.: very illuminating.

What screws NJ is that she hasn't attracted enough employers, only dribs and drabs. Still too many Jerseyites work in NYS to satisfy the State of New Jersey's fiscal needs: all income derived from work in NY by NJ residents is taxed by NYS, not NJ. Christie has done less than most of his predecessors to attract companies to NJ.

And when revenues fall short, the tax will go up.....
                  Naturally. What did you expect?
                  Last edited by slick_miester; 20 Oct 16, 15:26.

Comment

Last time NJ had funds to improve roads, they closed two of the three major Hackensack River crossings (NJ-3 and US-46.) How fcking stupid is NJ's DoT?
                    Well, New Jersey does better than Washington DC which has the worst roads in the nation...

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                      Very selective of who they let in.
                      I wish I could say the same about NJ.....
                      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Don't get me started.....

Given NJ's population density pattern, rail won't work outside of a handful of urban centers. Check out the chapter on LI's traffic control center in Caro's Power Broker.: very illuminating.
                        It's so much deeper. When I worked on the signal dept of the NYSW, we rebuilt all the crossings to allow 60mph passenger service. The State was planning, and still is afaik, to reintroduce commuter rail on that line. That sounds nice, Rt23 and 206 can't handle the commuter traffic. But how many would actually ride it?

So much money was spent on that line, and now most of the freight traffic has disappeared as well. BTW, freight RR infrastructure is one of the things the TTF is supposed to fund. Indeed, every hour I worked on the NYSW for three years was paid for by the State of NJ.

What screws NJ is that she hasn't attracted enough employers, only dribs and drabs. Still too many Jerseyites work in NYS to satisfy the State of New Jersey's fiscal needs: all income derived from work in NY by NJ residents is taxed by NYS, not NJ. Christie has done less than most of his predecessors to attract companies to NJ.
                        NJ is far beyond attracting employers. It's becoming increasingly tough to keep them from leaving! The taxes are out of control.

Naturally. What did you expect?
                        My current home, Manville, was hit hard by Irene. Hundreds of properties are being bought out. Where does the tax money come from to fill the void? Increased annual property taxes. An average of $2400 a year per house.

Then add the massive increase in section 8 housing, and all the problems that follow. So a homeowner gets to pay about 2400 more a year to live in a town that is rapidly dying, with a rapidly increasing crime rate. And this is repeated all over the state.

I love my home state, despite all it's faults. But it's getting harder and harder every month. The decline is becoming so rapid it's hard to keep up.
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Don't get me started.....
                          Right now I'm picking on Jersey 'cause of the proximity of the gas tax increase to the Bridge-gate trial, but let me tell you, the NY nightmare can eclipse even NJ's. We do things here so stupid it would astound a Zen master.

It's so much deeper. When I worked on the signal dept of the NYSW, we rebuilt all the crossings to allow 60mph passenger service. The State was planning, and still is afaik, to reintroduce commuter rail on that line. That sounds nice, Rt23 and 206 can't handle the commuter traffic. But how many would actually ride it?
                          That all depends, on where it's going to, and where it's coming from. If one end or the other has the density, then that train line will be well traveled. Newark, Jersey City, Hoboken have the density, in either resident population, employer-employee population, or both. Most of the rest of the state, however, is suburban single-family homes and stand-alone office parks. It's not suitable for rail. Taking into account all conditions and variables, the average commuter is willing to walk what from the train station: ten minutes, fifteen minutes? In the suburban low-density model, that will exclude the majority of territory from the station's service radius. So those people will be tempted to drive to the station -- and while they're at it, they'll just keep driving to work.

You mention 23 and 206. If the state wants to expand those roads, how will they get the right of way? The cost is prohibitive in the extreme. NJ can't afford another mile of road, so she's caught in a vice, and as things stand now, she can't win.

So much money was spent on that line, and now most of the freight traffic has disappeared as well. BTW, freight RR infrastructure is one of the things the TTF is supposed to fund. Indeed, every hour I worked on the NYSW for three years was paid for by the State of NJ.
                          The traditional business model for railroad companies centered not on trains and transport, but real estate. A government wanted an undeveloped area developed, so they incentivized a railroad by offering land grants many miles to the left and the right of the tracks. August Belmost and his Interboro Rapid Transit didn't get rich on commuters' nickels and dimes, but developing the vacant land adjacent to the tracks. Look at Queens Boulevard once upon a time:

That empty land was golden in Belmont's eyes. That incentive, however, is no longer available, because all of that land has been long since developed. Once upon a time a railroad could make a city in the wilderness: nowadays a few miles of track is either an impossible dream, or a mind-boggling money pit.

NJ is far beyond attracting employers. It's becoming increasingly tough to keep them from leaving! The taxes are out of control.
                          Too many stupid rules, too many inane requirements. Don't get me started.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X