Alternative news on YouTube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative news on YouTube

Thought it would be fun to share entertaining YouTubers.

Black Pigeon is a guy I watch when bored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GojGTmeHhwE
    We hunt the hunters

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post

I know that one, and its a good one.

Here is a favorite of mine-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtRj6x1jHuU

"Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

I've been considering creating a new YouTube channel.

There's many things brought up here that I could make a small amount of cash on. Plus I could do walk-throughs on some of my favorite games, plus share some of the news that the media doesn't touch...
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

YouTube is worse than Wickipedia.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Probably the greatest place for misinformation and confirmation bias on the internet.
          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
          - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            YouTube is worse than Wickipedia.
            Wow, as blanket statements go, covering Millions of vids like that is about as grotesque as it gets.

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
            Probably the greatest place for misinformation and confirmation bias on the internet.
            Ooooo-kay.
            So, what establishment-approved means of communication should people all over the world be allowed to have in your brave new world, eh?
            What should we limit ourselves to?
            What must we not be allowed to talk about, your Holiness?

Do either of you Kommisars have any idea how much is out there?

Maybe the human race is starting to de-evolve, so many minds are closing, so many mouths running in overdrive... and such a mad rush to the extermination of free speech & thought.
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Misinformation?
              IMHO HRC is as crooked as crooked can get, Nixon was a lightweight compared to her, how anyone that has been around for the last 25+ years could be her fan or vote for her must be mentally deranged or just plain stupid!
              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                Misinformation?
                IMHO HRC is as crooked as crooked can get, Nixon was a lightweight compared to her, how anyone that has been around for the last 25+ years could be her fan or vote for her must be mentally deranged or just plain stupid!
                Exactly. Hillary is a pathological liar, sociopath, and serial felon / criminal. The more she gets away with crimes that you or I would go to prison for decades for, the more she believes in her own invincibility in that respect.

She gets into office, and you can take it to the bank she'll start committing felonies and lying her @$$ off about everything and anything. I really think it'll get bad enough that she's not just impeached, but convicted and forcibly (I would expect her to not accept her conviction and leave) removed from office.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post

To bad he isn't factual.

Stein endorses Trump???

http://www.snopes.com/jill-stein-endorsed-donald-trump/
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                    Wow, as blanket statements go, covering Millions of vids like that is about as grotesque as it gets.

Ooooo-kay.
                    So, what establishment-approved means of communication should people all over the world be allowed to have in your brave new world, eh?
                    What should we limit ourselves to?
                    What must we not be allowed to talk about, your Holiness?

Do either of you Kommisars have any idea how much is out there?

Maybe the human race is starting to de-evolve, so many minds are closing, so many mouths running in overdrive... and such a mad rush to the extermination of free speech & thought.
                    The problem is any schmuck living in his mothers basement can create a youtube channel and generate a large following. Qualifications, credentials and relevant background be damned. Youtube can be a great platform and in a lot of ways it is, but that still doesn't change the fact that it's currently dominated by a lot of unqualified individuals spewing misinformation, propaganda and lies. Which leads to the bigger concern in the amount of followers who place such people on a pedestal.

It's a lot easier to publish a video than it is to write and publish a respectable book for comparison. The latter, requires far more work.

Yes, this internet/social media age has de-evolved us in certain ways. Everyone wants their news in soundbites, quick headlines and dramatic videos. Very few people are willing to research things on their own anymore and come to their own conclusion. No, finding confirmation bias does not qualify as proper research.

So yes, youtube is filled with a bunch of junk. Usually the more inaccurate a video is, the more views it will generate. As we already see, John has pointed out some lies in the youtube channels you guys are propping up. So there you go.
                    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The problem is any schmuck living in his mothers basement can create a youtube channel and generate a large following. Qualifications, credentials and relevant background be damned.
                      What do you believe are proper "qualifications, credentials, and relevant background?" Having a liberal arts degree in Journalism? Being someone who works for a news media source? Having done this for a while?
                      The way I see it, even the amateurs are getting where the better ones are as good or better than the pros. The alternative sources also don't have to please a raft of managers and executives with their work. They also aren't burdened with column space, deadlines, and other work related constraints.
                      What I'm seeing is that these alternative "reporters," at least the better ones, are doing a better job than the professionals are in many cases.

It's a lot easier to publish a video than it is to write and publish a respectable book for comparison. The latter, requires far more work.
                      So? News reporting doesn't require writing a novel. It requires reporting what's happening in a concise manner. The depth of such reporting can vary from brief news clips to in depth columns running to a few thousand words.

Yes, this internet/social media age has de-evolved us in certain ways. Everyone wants their news in soundbites, quick headlines and dramatic videos. Very few people are willing to research things on their own anymore and come to their own conclusion. No, finding confirmation bias does not qualify as proper research.
                      Not everyone. That's why it's so great to have literally hundreds, if not thousands, of sources to choose from now. You can peruse literally a hundred different sources for articles on some issue or story instead of just having a few television channels and the local paper for your news.
                      It hasn't devolved. It has evolved. The reason so many papers and magazines are failing isn't just because of the availability of on-line news, but because their readers have lost interest in their monolithic point of view. Why pay for news you can't use? Why pay to read op ed columns you vehemently disagree with? Why settle for one point of view?

So yes, youtube is filled with a bunch of junk. Usually the more inaccurate a video is, the more views it will generate. As we already see, John has pointed out some lies in the youtube channels you guys are propping up. So there you go.
                      I guess I could go to any of a hundred news run websites, like the local one here: Azcentral.com that is run by the MSM and Arizona Republic newspaper and read the junk that passes for 90% of the commentary people write about articles. Or, read the articles themselves knowing that the paper they represent has become well Left of Center with the retirement of older more Centrist reporters.

YouTube is no different. It's the exact same thing only it cuts out the big news / media corporation and goes straight to the commentary. Sure, it too is 90% crap, but that's no worse than the MSM's track record.

Comment

Amazing how totally Elitist all the ex-Liberals have become, isn't it?

And it's not just the damned followers -

Is that the "WTF" moment of the month, or what?
                        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          What do you believe are proper "qualifications, credentials, and relevant background?" Having a liberal arts degree in Journalism? Being someone who works for a news media source? Having done this for a while?
                          The way I see it, even the amateurs are getting where the better ones are as good or better than the pros. The alternative sources also don't have to please a raft of managers and executives with their work. They also aren't burdened with column space, deadlines, and other work related constraints.
                          What I'm seeing is that these alternative "reporters," at least the better ones, are doing a better job than the professionals are in many cases.
                          It depends on the topic. I don't want to hear about economics from someone working a typical 9-5, with no schooling or professional experience in the field. Sure, it's great to get a gauge on what the average American is thinking, but I can't learn anything from you if you're not a qualified expert in the field you're discussing.

That said, how many popular Youtubers are actually qualified professionals on the areas they're covering? If they're not, I don't see what you're taking away from watching their videos.

As far as straight news channels like TYT for example. They're just as left leaning as any MSM network. There are plenty of right leaning youtube channels as well, no difference.

So? News reporting doesn't require writing a novel. It requires reporting what's happening in a concise manner. The depth of such reporting can vary from brief news clips to in depth columns running to a few thousand words.
                          My point is it's a field that literally anyone can get into, there are no qualifications or standards in place. Which is fine, but we have to acknowledge the downsides to that as well.

I don't know if news reporting still exists in its purest sense. Everyone has an agenda including these Youtubers, and as already proven they report false information. IMO, they put out more false information than the MSM does as it's obviously easier for them to get away with.

Not everyone. That's why it's so great to have literally hundreds, if not thousands, of sources to choose from now. You can peruse literally a hundred different sources for articles on some issue or story instead of just having a few television channels and the local paper for your news.
                          It hasn't devolved. It has evolved. The reason so many papers and magazines are failing isn't just because of the availability of on-line news, but because their readers have lost interest in their monolithic point of view. Why pay for news you can't use? Why pay to read op ed columns you vehemently disagree with? Why settle for one point of view?
                          I don't agree with the implication that people are looking for multiple points of view. As I said earlier all they're looking for is confirmation bias, nowadays in the most easily digestible and entertaining format which is starting to become Youtube.

Look, I love Youtube, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that it is the greatest source of misinformation.

I guess I could go to any of a hundred news run websites, like the local one here: Azcentral.com that is run by the MSM and Arizona Republic newspaper and read the junk that passes for 90% of the commentary people write about articles. Or, read the articles themselves knowing that the paper they represent has become well Left of Center with the retirement of older more Centrist reporters.

YouTube is no different. It's the exact same thing only it cuts out the big news / media corporation and goes straight to the commentary. Sure, it too is 90% crap, but that's no worse than the MSM's track record.

When it comes to politics and government, I rather go to the experts, I want to learn about military strategy from former Generals. I want to learn about economics from economists. I want to learn about business from people with experience running businesses. Your typical youtubers simply are not, currently, the best source for that.
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

One of my favorites. BTW this video is very worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFD4nQARR4c
                            "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

For some reason I can't make the youtube player work.
                              "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X