Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Trump dump the Republicans?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    Yet they keep getting re-elected. Which supports Disraeli's point on falsehoods.

    A majority of voters like their Rep or Senator. But they dislike everyone else's.

    This goes back to our earlier discussion: public opinion means squat. Otherwise no member of Congress would ever make POTUS.

    No one votes for 'Congress'. They vote for specific individuals.
    The ignored element there is that public opinion is not a direct correlation to voters, which are the deciding factor for holding public office. 90% of Americans could hate congress and avoid elections altogether, but the remaining 10% would still select the representatives for the whole.

    Since elections are decided by a minority of eligible citizens, public opinion has a reduced impact if wrongly calculated. It's similar to how polling data can be skewed by including the opinions of non-voters.

    But as we've seen with this election, the lesser of two evils is a powerful motivator and a reason why bipartisanship doesn't sell. Hyperbole and fear is a much more appealing message than objective data and balanced debate.

    And the much higher support for individual representatives than the body entire is a well documented phenomenon, and pretty understandable. People don't like to think they're at fault. It's much easier to blame "everyone else" while assuming "my guy" is still doing well.

    But one cannot ignore public sentiment entirely. After all, the TP didn't win victories while it's supporters were totally satisfied with the GOP electorate.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      Nope.

      It is still better than any other system currently in use. Hell, you guys still think a monarchy is a good idea...
      Yes, an oligarchy truly is the superior system.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        Nope.

        It is still better than any other system currently in use. Hell, you guys still think a monarchy is a good idea...
        That's one opinion and it being yours that counts for so much more
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

        you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          Nope.

          It is still better than any other system currently in use. .
          So you end up having to choose between Trump and Clinton amid all that poisonous bile and bigotry from both sides - wow what a super dooper marvelous system
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            So you end up having to choose between Trump and Clinton amid all that poisonous bile and bigotry from both sides - wow what a super dooper marvelous system
            Better than bowing to a queen. You guys pissed away an Empire under your current system.

            We like a lively political season. It is as much entertainment as anything.

            Just like you appear to prefer to live in areas of the world where extradition to the UK is complicated. Just because there are clear and easy assumptions to be made by a casual onlooker does not mean they are correct. Never fully trust surface impressions.
            Last edited by Arnold J Rimmer; 12 Oct 16, 16:06.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

            Comment

            Latest Topics

            Collapse

            Working...
            X