No announcement yet.

‘Ferguson effect’? Savagely beaten cop didn’t draw gun for fear of media uproar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Ferguson effect’? Savagely beaten cop didn’t draw gun for fear of media uproar

Quote from the article.

A Chicago police officer who was savagely beaten at a car accident scene this week did not draw her gun on her attacker — even though she feared for her life — because she was afraid of the media attention that would come if she shot him, the city’s police chief said Thursday.

Remind me not to get into a car accident in Chicago. If even the police aren't safe at one, just imagine what would happen to us civilians.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...uG1?li=BBnb7Kz

Unbelievable...
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Got this from an npr report I was listening the other day, interesting perspective from an ex-cop, basically, we need brawnier brutes willing to reach for a billyclub rather than a gun.

http://www.npr.org/2016/09/22/495023...-hard-to-track

And when it comes to the use of deadly force and the complaint that American police are too quick to shoot, Nila says there's a simple fact here that's often overlooked: Police today are less hands-on than they used to be. When he was on patrol a generation ago, he says, cops were quicker to mix it up.

"We were willing to take a punch; we were willing to even get cut," he says. "[Even with] the things that have happened to me in a fight on the street, [it] never entered my mind to shoot somebody."

In the decades since then, the training has shifted toward a more cautious, standoffish approach — more use of commands shouted from a distance, Tasers and finally guns. Nila says the greater emphasis on self-preservation is understandable, but if Americans want police to show more restraint with deadly force, then we need to be honest about the fact that we're also asking them to take more risks.
      One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
      Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Years ago I remember seeing an interview with former LAPD Sgt. Stacy Koon of Rodney King fame. He was explaining why he and the officers did the things they did that night. He said that there was a time when you had to meet a basic height and weight requirement to be a police officer. That police officers were basically taught to wrestle the guy to the ground. But in order to allow women into the police force they had to get rid of those requirements. That meant that both women, and men, who, in years past, wouldn't have met the height and weight requirements were now police officers. So physically overpowering someone was no longer an option. To compensate for that, police academies, at least the LAPD, were now taught to take out their batons and beat the crap out of someone, or take their taser and zap them, until they complied.

It's interesting to see a different officer, two decades later, essentially saying what Sgt. Koon said.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X