Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post Poll Discussion: Why should one pay more in taxes than is legally required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Poll Discussion: Why should one pay more in taxes than is legally required?

My poll on whether or not a person should be scorned for legally avoiding taxes is still running. More people here feel they should face no ridicule but I am curious about those that do. To this end I have a discussion question: why should an individual forego government tax breaks and pay more than they are required to? There were some on the previous thread who suggest that while avoiding taxes through these allowances is legally correct, it is morally wrong. I am curious as to why they feel this is so. If the government allows for a private citizen to reduce the amount he pays in taxes, what makes it morally wrong to access these benefits?
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Once again, the problem isn't that he didn't legally have to pay taxes, the problem is that people above a certain income level have perks that the rest of us don't.

Comment

i manage my affairs to minimise my tax liability. Everyone does, just some are better than others.

It is not that the very rich do not have to pay taxes, it is just that due to the sums involved it becomes worthwhile taking steps to minimise tax liability. Engaging tax advisers and doing the necessary restructuring is not cost free. Only worthwhile if the gain is worth the cost.

It can even be worth it for Hmrc in the U.K. To come to a deal with rich tax payers rather than pushing as hard as they can. Pushing to the limit has a cost for both sides and at the end of the day the tax authorities are supposed to be about raising revenue.
      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
        Once again, the problem isn't that he didn't legally have to pay taxes, the problem is that people above a certain income level have perks that the rest of us don't.
        The question can still be applied: why is it morally wrong for people to take said perks? I can sympathize with wanting perks to apply to all income brackets but why would it be morally wrong for anyone to claim that which is legal for them to claim?
        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Because those perks don't come out of thin air. The big election contributors make their demands known after elections. Ever hear the saying "politicians say what the voters want to hear before the election but do what their donors want them to do after they've elected"? That's why two parties sound so different on the campaign trail but nothing big ever changes in Washington.

Comment

Because those perks don't come out of thin air. The big election contributors make their demands known after elections. Ever hear the saying "politicians say what the voters want to hear before the election but do what their donors want them to do after they've elected"? That's why two parties sound so different on the campaign trail but nothing big ever changes in Washington.
            So you would say its basically a conflict of interest?

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
              My poll on whether or not a person should be scorned for legally avoiding taxes is still running. More people here feel they should face no ridicule but I am curious about those that do. To this end I have a discussion question: why should an individual forego government tax breaks and pay more than they are required to? There were some on the previous thread who suggest that while avoiding taxes through these allowances is legally correct, it is morally wrong. I am curious as to why they feel this is so. If the government allows for a private citizen to reduce the amount he pays in taxes, what makes it morally wrong to access these benefits?
              No...it is, however, crazy to pay more than you must.

A lot of people are either deranged or BS'ing us to death with their alleged "moral stance." I wonder if they will be willing to post their tax returns so we can analyze their "deductions"?
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                No...it is, however, crazy to pay more than you must.

A lot of people are either deranged or BS'ing us to death with their alleged "moral stance." I wonder if they will be willing to post their tax returns so we can analyze their "deductions"?
                Exactly. Everyone know damn well they would take every deduction they can and still be able to sleep perfectly. How come no one is questioning the Clintons' tax deduction for donating old underwear?
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Why doesn't the rump mention the Clinton foundation?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ne...rticle/2603780
                  Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Yea, like since the Pharaoh's ruled Egypt...

Comment

Anyway even if Trump or any billionaire is so good at managing their taxes that they pay minimal income tax, most countries have tax systems that ensure you pay tax one way or another. In the U.K. ther is corporation tax on any companies you own, capital gains tax on any profits on sale of assets, stamp duty on any property you buy, VAT on almost any non food good or sevice you buy, inheritance tax etc. One way or another the revenue are going to get you.
                      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Let's face it, tax is a form of sanctioned coercion at its most basic level. So why would we want to pay more in taxes? That makes no sense at all.
                        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                          Let's face it, tax is a form of sanctioned coercion at its most basic level. So why would we want to pay more in taxes? That makes no sense at all.
                          That is why it has been transformed into a quasi-religious form of atonement, and mock & shame anyone that has anything rational to say about this.
                          Burn the witch, that's about the extent of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                            The question can still be applied: why is it morally wrong for people to take said perks? I can sympathize with wanting perks to apply to all income brackets but why would it be morally wrong for anyone to claim that which is legal for them to claim?
                            In the same way people look down on those who take handouts from the government. Legality has never been entirely equated with morality or social responsibility. One could legally utilize their 1st Amendment rights to praise those attacking and killing American soldiers - and the general public would not look well upon that.

But the real answer is that it is all subjective.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X